OT: Geek Haven: Comic Books, Comic Book movies, RPG's, Star Wars etc thread

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
That's good idea!

Some Cyberpunk, or Warhammer when waiting for a game. :)
I never played it, but I still have some of the WEG Star Wars sourcebooks from back then because that was literally the only new Star Wars material coming out in the late 80s!
I'm an old school D&D (like, LBB and 1st Ed) and Call of Cthulhu guy myself, lol...oh, and Classic Traveller!

I've been a RPG guy for a "long time", started with Basic D&D and every other version since, Pathfinder, Cyberpunk, Savage Worlds, Hero's/Champions, Shadowrun, Star Wars, Star Trek and many others. I also like table top mini games and military board games.

Reactions: Se829ne

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I've been a RPG guy for a "long time", started with Basic D&D and every other version since, Pathfinder, Cyberpunk, Savage Worlds, Hero's/Champions, Shadowrun, Star Wars, Star Trek and many others. I also like table top mini games and military board games.

I was always interested in playing RPGs when I was young, but growing up in a rural location there was just really no one to play with. So I read lots of Choose Your Own Adventure and other game books instead, about as close as I could get lol.

I collect Choose Your Own Adventure books now, if anyone has some old ones they want to trade or sell let me know!

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not bored with hockey, bored with echo chambers. There is only so much you can read the same thing over and over again.

Hear hear! Exactly how I feel the last couple days.

The HFB axes are so sharp right now I might hire some people to chop some trees down I have growing besides the garage in the spring. One chop should take care of each

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I was always interested in playing RPGs when I was young, but growing up in a rural location there was just really no one to play with. So I read lots of Choose Your Own Adventure and other game books instead, about as close as I could get lol.

I collect Choose Your Own Adventure books now, if anyone has some old ones they want to trade or sell let me know!

Yup, I grew up in rural MB & SK, no internet back then and very few kids gaming. I meet a small group in Flin Flon who played Basic D&D and joined them, that was 1982. I was hooked then and done RPG's ever since, live in Winnipeg since 1985. When I was young I had fair number of adventure books but they are long gone now.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Oh man I had a ton of rpg stuff back in the late 70s/80's. Got rid of it all at some point. What a dummy! I had Basic and AD&D, Gangbusters, Top Secret, Chill, the original Traveller black books, Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, Call of Cthulhu, Car Wars, and tons of supplements and modules for all of them. I don't even know how I managed to buy it all...the only stuff I kept was the CoCthulhu stuff.

I sorta got the bug again about 10 years ago and I've collected up an array of reprints and other stuff since then. I even got into a game of orignal D&D for about 6 months which was a blast. Oddly enough, as much as I loved the games bitd, I never had a good opportunity to actually play them much at all.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Oh man I had a ton of rpg stuff back in the late 70s/80's. Got rid of it all at some point. What a dummy! I had Basic and AD&D, Gangbusters, Top Secret, Chill, the original Traveller black books, Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, Call of Cthulhu, Car Wars, and tons of supplements and modules for all of them. I don't even know how I managed to buy it all...the only stuff I kept was the CoCthulhu stuff.

I sorta got the bug again about 10 years ago and I've collected up an array of reprints and other stuff since then. I even got into a game of orignal D&D for about 6 months which was a blast. Oddly enough, as much as I loved the games bitd, I never had a good opportunity to actually play them much at all.

Couple gaming stores around the city have open house gaming nights.....players can just walk in and play. I game with the same group the last about 9 years, every week.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Used to be a big Sgt Rock and Weird War Tales fan and collector back in the day. I think my old man still has them tucked away somewhere.

Reactions: Hunter368

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
This is a great idea for a thread.

My first introduction to comics was the old Spider-Man cartoon.

I'd come home from school at lunch and watch religiously.

But, what really got me into comics was one day I was in a drug store and came across the comic rack.

This comic caught my eye.

I saw Andre the Giant play a Sasquatch on the Six Million Dollar Man so I looked at it.

Holy crap, Sasquatch was a Canadian superhero!

Right behind it was the next issue.

Marvel Two-In-One Vol 1 84

Holy crap, there was a whole team of Canadian superheros!

And not only that, this issue took place in Winnipeg!

I was hooked.

This lead to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and the X-Men cartoon in the 90's.

Which lead to the current Marvel Comics Universe.

I also enjoy the DC universe and I love the Marvel / DC Crossovers.

SupermanvsSpider-Man1976.jpg

p6_0.jpg

You can read the entire comic here.

https://www.comicextra.com/marvel-two-in-one-1974/chapter-84

hwgp7b0r1jihNWuzr-onp8RHhzojTCLJimoDUzlp1GfSxLON0uZEdjD8jBok7sSOUudcqTWTt9mMCw=s0

bluDsR0QCr0X0t023ltr_O-jODsdwxhrTURigji7KMyyj_njGNPCL4nyrdtfhbBsNVAVAmj8wMYAKw=s0

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Character development is still unfinished, but I created this character for West End Games StarWars RPG using First Edition rules for rookie character with some sensible adaptations for more logical development and personality. This character is intended to be passive (but aggressive when necessary) all-around supporting type 2nd line (in combat) character for the group of more action oriented heroes (and anti-heroes).

Created for the case that HFB geeks of Planet Winnipeg and surrounding sectors would somehow manage to organize the online campaign in StarWars RPG using this site as pretty absurd platform for old school pen'n'paper roleplaying. Time setting: 1 ABY, Canon-setting: pre-episode I canon.

GOV33Gl.jpg

I couldn't find 1st Edition character sheet in enough big size and good resolution, so I used this one: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/78/78/7b78787b1ddb6ebb0243f79b0d76edc6.jpg

May The Force be with you, even you would have bad feeling about this! :)

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Character development is still unfinished, but I created this character for West End Games StarWars RPG using First Edition rules for rookie character with some sensible adaptations for more logical development and personality. This character is intended to be passive (but aggressive when necessary) all-around supporting type 2nd line (in combat) character for the group of more action oriented heroes (and anti-heroes).

Created for the case that HFB geeks of Planet Winnipeg and surrounding sectors would somehow manage to organize the online campaign in StarWars RPG using this site as pretty absurd platform for old school pen'n'paper roleplaying. Time setting: 1 ABY, Canon-setting: pre-episode I canon.

GOV33Gl.jpg

I couldn't find 1st Edition character sheet in enough big size and good resolution, so I used this one: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/78/78/7b78787b1ddb6ebb0243f79b0d76edc6.jpg

May The Force be with you, even you would have bad feeling about this! :)

I played the old Star Wars rpg a lot, have you tried Fantasy Flight new version? I played it some, own the book.

Reactions: FonRiesen

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I played the old Star Wars rpg a lot, have you tried Fantasy Flight new version? I played it some, own the book.

Not played that one. Generally I'm not too fond or interested on what direction later episodes of StarWars franchise has been developed, but 'The Mandalorian' -series was good. The best Disney product in the franchise this far.

Btw. I've not played any RPGs since late '90s, but old star lanes in my mind are still remained in operational use. I really like this Geek-thread, and I'm sure that something good will come from it. :)

Reactions: ERYX and Hunter368

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not played that one. Generally I'm not too fond or interested on what direction later episodes of StarWars franchise has been developed, but 'The Mandalorian' -series was good. The best Disney product in the franchise this far.

Btw. I've not played any RPGs since late '90s, but old star lanes in my mind are still remained in operational use. I really like this Geek-thread, and I'm sure that something good will come from it. :)

Rebels was also very good and Disney produced, if the new episodes aren't your cup of blue milk. Dave Filoni worked/works on Clone Wars, Rebels and The Mandalorian and you can see the connective tissue between all three shows in regards to the storytelling and characters.

Pablo Hidalgo, who now works for Lucasfilm as a continuity and story adviser, is from Winnipeg and got started writing Star Wars RPG content for WEG in the 90s. He has my dream job lol

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I like the look of Fantasy Flight's X-Wing miniature game, nice looking models. I was big into HeroClix for awhile, that game was fun. Not sure if they are still in business or not.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you look at other team boards, you will see we were the exception to the OT threads till now. Nice to talk about something else then hockey 24/7.......:.plus nice to hear what else people are into for hobbies & interests.

Sure, go ahead. But it does indicate boredom with hockey, Jets.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Using that logic, every fanbase would be bored, so you determine if your logic makes sense. If you don't want to post in them Mort, then don't pretty simple. Heck you have the ability/option to ignore threads even......I find a bit funny your complaining about OT threads & people posting in them.....yet your posting in them. HFB Jets is a pretty funny place, posters complain about people giving other posters compliments (I can't even wrap my mind around that) and complain about optional threads clearly labelled as OT.......I swear some people need to take a break from posting to realize hockey is a sport......for fun.....I think some here take this wayyyyyyy too serious.

OT threads help posters enjoyment of the site and get to know their fellow posters. IE that's a positive thing.

Reactions: Huffer and Se829ne

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Actually, transition from the cruel reality of near perpetual speculation of "what if", "what then" with Jets' somewhat disappointing near history and at the moment rather grim future scenarios, to more openly honest fantasies isn't that hard thing to do in recent circumstances. Plus, this site probably doesn't collapse because of this thread, considering how much self repeating spam the community can collectively produce every single day.

I see these real life related OT hobby threads as real "positivity threads" because nobody participating need pretend being in positive mood. It comes naturally as a default mood. Jets are only one that can influence to boredom of Jets. Meanwhile, when waiting that to happen we can talk about something else. :)

For the note, I have nice little collection of old Conan The Barbarian comics.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Using that logic, every fanbase would be bored, so you determine if your logic makes sense. If you don't want to post in them Mort, then don't pretty simple. Heck you have the ability/option to ignore threads even......I find a bit funny your complaining about OT threads & people posting in them.....yet your posting in them. HFB Jets is a pretty funny place, posters complain about people giving other posters compliments (I can't even wrap my mind around that) and complain about optional threads clearly labelled as OT.......I swear some people need to take a break from posting to realize hockey is a sport......for fun.....I think some here take this wayyyyyyy too serious.

OT threads help posters enjoyment of the site and get to know their fellow posters. IE that's a positive thing.

Where did I complain about OT threads? I just suggested that the sudden flurry of OT threads hints at boredom with hockey. You're right, this is a pretty funny place. I think these threads popping up is funny. I'm not complaining. I'm laughing. Guess I forgot my :laugh:. I've had complaints that I use the emoji's too much. :laugh:

I think you are taking my off-hand comment Waaayyyyy too seriously. Oh :laugh:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

I guess if you are under the impression that all us Jets fans are totally myopic in our devotion to hockey such that we don't spend time on anything else, then sure. For myself, throughout any given day I spend time on about a dozen different forums relating to several different hobbies I enjoy. Posting in a couple threads here that don't relate directly to the Jets/hockey doesn't really subtract much of anything from the time that I spend focused on the Jets in a normal day...

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Where did I complain about OT threads? I just suggested that the sudden flurry of OT threads hints at boredom with hockey. You're right, this is a pretty funny place. I think these threads popping up is funny. I'm not complaining. I'm laughing. Guess I forgot my :laugh:. I've had complaints that I use the emoji's too much. :laugh:

I think you are taking my off-hand comment Waaayyyyy too seriously. Oh :laugh:

Ok good, then post on topic in the thread or don't, make sure all future posts in these OT threads are on topic of the thread. Your opinion has been heard and filed.

Normal forum rules apply in OT threads as well, just a reminder.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad