OT: Geek Haven: Comic Books, Comic Book movies, RPG's, Star Wars etc thread

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Thought I would start a thread about comic books and comic book related movies if anyone feels like discussing. Any company or comic book movie you want to gab about, feel free

I am a huge Marvel Zombie, I used to have a massive comic book collection probably 8000 books when I decided to sell it 15 years ago. There are a few I wish I had held onto like my Hulk 181 and Giant-Size X-Men #1 but what can you do? It's an unaffordable hobby for me now, but with the Marvel Unlimited app I still read pretty much everything although I am a couple years behind.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I was a huge comic nerd back in the day, mostly DC, although some Marvel held my interest. They lost me with the constant reboots that started in the early 2000s, and as far as I know, are still occurring. Still have a massive back collection that I'll occasionally read.

Legion of Super Heroes was my go-to book. The Great Darkness Saga story from in early 80s got me hooked. Keith Giffen's '5 years later' storyline that kicked off in late 80s or early 90s was either loved or hated by fans (I was in the former).

As cheesy as they are, the CW DCU tv shows have been my main comic source/enjoyment over the last 7-8 years or so.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was a huge comic nerd back in the day, mostly DC, although some Marvel held my interest. They lost me with the constant reboots that started in the early 2000s, and as far as I know, are still occurring. Still have a massive back collection that I'll occasionally read.

Legion of Super Heroes was my go-to book. The Great Darkness Saga story from in early 80s got me hooked. Keith Giffen's '5 years later' storyline that kicked off in late 80s or early 90s was either loved or hated by fans (I was in the former).

As cheesy as they are, the CW DCU tv shows have been my main comic source/enjoyment over the last 7-8 years or so.

I did do a fair amount of DC reading in the '00s, back when I worked at a comic book store. I was really into Geoff Johns run on JSA and anything related to the Golden Age DC heroes (or pre-Crisis heroes?) back then.

Marvel and DC really love to reboot and restart series now with a fresh #1 in attempts to get some increased sales, because they have been plummeting steadily in the last 10 years. DC did go back to original numbering on some of their main titles and Marvel has a "Legacy" numbering now, which I like.

I just can't justify spending 5 bucks on a comic book anymore, I mean they were 50 cents each when I started reading and for 80 bucks a year I can now read as much as I want to on an app. Also nice to be able to blow up a panel on a tablet to give my aging eyes a break lol.

Reactions: KCjetsfan

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm a pretty big comic fan. I have a fairly substantial collection of the big omnibus books - Marvel, Hellboy, Goon...I'm a huge Hellboy fan. Love Mignola's artwork. I'm also a big fan of the old EC horror comics.

Do not like DC. lol...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Some people are really getting bored with hockey. Fishing, gaming, comic books. What's next? :laugh:

Reactions: Se829ne

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I did do a fair amount of DC reading in the '00s, back when I worked at a comic book store. I was really into Geoff Johns run on JSA and anything related to the Golden Age DC heroes (or pre-Crisis heroes?) back then.

Marvel and DC really love to reboot and restart series now with a fresh #1 in attempts to get some increased sales, because they have been plummeting steadily in the last 10 years. DC did go back to original numbering on some of their main titles and Marvel has a "Legacy" numbering now, which I like.

I just can't justify spending 5 bucks on a comic book anymore, I mean they were 50 cents each when I started reading and for 80 bucks a year I can now read as much as I want to on an app. Also nice to be able to blow up a panel on a tablet to give my aging eyes a break lol.

What does the $80 give you access to? All new issues that come out? Back issues? That may be interesting to look into.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Some people are really getting bored with hockey. Fishing, gaming, comic books. What's next? :laugh:

If you look at other team boards, you will see we were the exception to the OT threads till now. Nice to talk about something else then hockey 24/7.......:.plus nice to hear what else people are into for hobbies & interests.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I'm an old school D&D (like, LBB and 1st Ed) and Call of Cthulhu guy myself, lol...oh, and Classic Traveller!

I know. I started with D&D too. Runequest was one of earlier games also. Favorite is Star Wars 1st edition, tho. Never played Classic Traveller, but 2300 A.D. was great setting, not that good rules (we used adapted Cyberpunk rules for it).

Two mentioned were just on my mind for the moment. :)

Practical difficulties playing online here would be great, at least games would be probably very chaotic regardless of the game setting and rules. It would be perpetual warzone of sort, and multiple GMs would be necessity. :D

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What does the $80 give you access to? All new issues that come out? Back issues? That may be interesting to look into.

They are constantly adding back issues, I'd say they are at 80% of the library, last countI saw was 27,000 comic books. They add all the new issues, but they are about 5 or 6 months behind the shelf release date. But that's OK with me, I'm behind anyways. They usually add 40 new comics a week. But bang for your buck, you can't beat it

Reactions: KCjetsfan

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
They are constantly adding back issues, I'd say they are at 80% of the library, last countI saw was 27,000 comic books. They add all the new issues, but they are about 5 or 6 months behind the shelf release date. But that's OK with me, I'm behind anyways. They usually add 40 new comics a week. But bang for your buck, you can't beat it
well dang I may have to check that out. Thanks for cluing me in on this.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I know. I started with D&D too. Runequest was one of earlier games also. Favorite is Star Wars 1st edition, tho. Never played Classic Traveller, but 2300 A.D. was great setting, not that good rules (we used adapted Cyberpunk rules for it).

Two mentioned were just on my mind for the moment. :)

Practical difficulties playing online here would be great, at least games would be probably very chaotic regardless of the game setting and rules. It would be perpetual warzone of sort, and multiple GMs would be necessity. :D

I never played it, but I still have some of the WEG Star Wars sourcebooks from back then because that was literally the only new Star Wars material coming out in the late 80s!

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I never played it, but I still have some of the WEG Star Wars sourcebooks from back then because that was literally the only new Star Wars material coming out in the late 80s!

I have a collection of those sourcebooks and adventures too. They are among the best core part of early SW extended universe, long before unfortunate canon tinkering and "Legends". There was still love involved in making that stuff, and right touch and feeling to the setting. I have also SW Miniature Battles, that one I discovered from a second hand book store. 10 adventures, and Galaxy guide 2 (Yavin and Besbin).

Precious and nostalgic. Something I will keep (in a bookshelf of over 1000 books). :)

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I have a collection of those sourcebooks and adventures too. They are among the best core part of early SW extended universe, long before unfortunate canon tinkering and "Legends". There was still love involved in making that stuff, and right touch and feeling to the setting. I have also SW Miniature Battles, that one I discovered from a second hand book store. 10 adventures, and Galaxy guide 2 (Yavin and Besbin).

Precious and nostalgic. Something I will keep (in a bookshelf of over 1000 books). :)

They added a LOT to the Star Wars lore, like basically the names of many of the classic aliens and several ships that are now regularly used.

I loved when they would bring old WEG ships and vehicles into the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons

Reactions: Se829ne

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Has anyone watched Star Trek: Picard yet? I'm only a casual Star Trek fan but it sounds good. I have the first few episodes PVR'ed, should probably check it out soon

Reactions: Afterburner

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Thought I would start a thread about comic books and comic book related movies if anyone feels like discussing. Any company or comic book movie you want to gab about, feel free

I am a huge Marvel Zombie, I used to have a massive comic book collection probably 8000 books when I decided to sell it 15 years ago. There are a few I wish I had held onto like my Hulk 181 and Giant-Size X-Men #1 but what can you do? It's an unaffordable hobby for me now, but with the Marvel Unlimited app I still read pretty much everything although I am a couple years behind.

This is a great idea for a thread.

My first introduction to comics was the old Spider-Man cartoon.

I'd come home from school at lunch and watch religiously.

But, what really got me into comics was one day I was in a drug store and came across the comic rack.

This comic caught my eye.

I saw Andre the Giant play a Sasquatch on the Six Million Dollar Man so I looked at it.

Holy crap, Sasquatch was a Canadian superhero!

Right behind it was the next issue.

Marvel Two-In-One Vol 1 84

Holy crap, there was a whole team of Canadian superheros!

And not only that, this issue took place in Winnipeg!

I was hooked.

This lead to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and the X-Men cartoon in the 90's.

Which lead to the current Marvel Comics Universe.

I also enjoy the DC universe and I love the Marvel / DC Crossovers.

SupermanvsSpider-Man1976.jpg

p6_0.jpg

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This is a great idea for a thread.

My first introduction to comics was the old Spider-Man cartoon.

I'd come home from school at lunch and watch religiously.

But, what really got me into comics was one day I was in a drug store and came across the comic rack.

This comic caught my eye.

I saw Andre the Giant play a Sasquatch on the Six Million Dollar Man so I looked at it.

Holy crap, Sasquatch was a Canadian superhero!

Right behind it was the next issue.

Marvel Two-In-One Vol 1 84

Holy crap, there was a whole team of Canadian superheros!

And not only that, this issue took place in Winnipeg!

I was hooked.

This lead to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and the X-Men cartoon in the 90's.

Which lead to the current Marvel Comics Universe.

I also enjoy the DC universe and I love the Marvel / DC Crossovers.

SupermanvsSpider-Man1976.jpg

p6_0.jpg

Here is the comic that hooked me on the Marvel Universe:

250px-Secretwars1.png

Before that, I was strictly buying Star Wars, Looney Tunesand Disney comics.

But that Mike Zeck cover, wow. I was especially intrigued by that brown and orange guy with the claws in the bottom corner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad