OT: Geek Haven: Comic Books, Comic Book movies, RPG's, Star Wars etc thread

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My brother is a big comic collector. He basically has every Marvel comic you can think of except for Amazing Fantasy 15

I grew up reading most of those comics and taking a beating when my brother found out I was removing the comics from the plastic covers.

I am huge fantasy and sci fi book reader. Probably read every series you think of.

Got into reading Warhammer40k via watching people playing it at hobby shops and then diving down the youtube rabbit hole on the lore behind it. Probably ready 40 Warhammer 40k books in the last 6 months lol

When I worked at a comic book store 18ish years ago, someone brought in and I was able to hold decent copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 and Fantastic Four #1 in my hands, but I was so terrified of damaging them I had to put them down. But just seeing and holding those two key silver age comic books, it was a euphoric moment.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Geek thread! I have found my home :) Thanks for starting it @LucianoBorsato

I had tons of comics growing up. The main series I collected were G.I. Joe and Star Trek, with a smattering of super hero comics. My dad collected Batman (Legends of the Dark Knight) and I remember reading and re-reading those. I also collected the Dark Horse Predator, Aliens, and Star Wars series.

Also a massive Fantasy and Sci Fi reader. I've read a lot of series.

@Joe Hallenback I've played Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000 since the late 90s but only recently got into the Black Library books. Currently working on the Eisenhorn series and it's awesome. I'd say Storm of Iron is probably my favourite 40K book -- definitely check it out if you haven't read that one.

@surixon @SensibleGuy Like you, I played a lot of RPGs back in the day. AD&D (Dragonlance setting mostly), Cyberbunk 2020, Wizards of the Coast Star Wars were my poison. In the last year, I introduced my children to RPGs and decided to go with FFG's generic system GENESYS. We love it. Fantastic system. We're currently playing a space exploration theme campaign that I based somewhat off the Aliens universe but without the Xenomorphs (although there are other similar monstrous aliens). Kids are loving it. It is really interesting to watch the different play styles as they learn how to RPG. My youngest son (9 years old) is hilarious because he's a complete "murder hobo" and the others keep having to reign him in. My 13 and 12 year olds are pretty good at playing their roles. I am greatly enjoying GM'ing their sessions.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Anyone looking to buy comics? I believe we're not allowed to openly sell on the board so private message me. Also not sure if this message is even allowed so please excuse my lack of decorum moderators and delete if required.

Marvel/DC stuff from about 84-92 or so. I think I still have about a dozen long boxes or so.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
My brother is a big comic collector. He basically has every Marvel comic you can think of except for Amazing Fantasy 15

I grew up reading most of those comics and taking a beating when my brother found out I was removing the comics from the plastic covers.

I am huge fantasy and sci fi book reader. Probably read every series you think of.

Got into reading Warhammer40k via watching people playing it at hobby shops and then diving down the youtube rabbit hole on the lore behind it. Probably ready 40 Warhammer 40k books in the last 6 months lol

I have about 20 war hammer 40k & war hammer fantasy novels on my book shelf right now. Huge fantasy fan, pretty big sci-fi fan.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Bob Iger stepping down as the CEO of Disney, I wonder what the deal is here?

I work there and we haven't gotten any details yet but everyone knew he was leaving once D+ had been established. Bob will be on CNBC in 35 min so that could be interesting to watch. The biggest surprise is that Bob Chapek got the nod over Kevin Mayer imo.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I had a lot of comics in the late 60's and early 70's. Many Spider-Man, Thor, Rawhide Kid and others. My prize possession was the first Howard the Duck that my girlfriends BF gave me for my 18th birthday in 76. Unfortunately between the liquor, cilantro and moving around a lot back then I somehow misplaced it.

Loved playing some RPG's and spent a lot of nights on Duke Nukem, Diablo and more recently Borderlands. I think my favorite was the original Diablo since when you got killed you dropped all your stuff and had to somehow retrieve it. I remember coming home drunk from curling at the Grain Ex one night and losing everything I had spent months collecting.

I recently re-watched all the marvel movies just before they moved them all to Disney.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I work there and we haven't gotten any details yet but everyone knew he was leaving once D+ had been established. Bob will be on CNBC in 35 min so that could be interesting to watch. The biggest surprise is that Bob Chapek got the nod over Kevin Mayer imo.

You work at Disney?? Can I ask in what capacity, no need to say specifics if that's too nosey

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It's a little slow around here today with no game until Monday.

So, if you're bored and into old comics, I suggest reading the 4 issue limited series of Canada's most popular superhero, Wolverine.

Wolverine (1982) #1 - Read Wolverine (1982) Issue #1 Online | Full Page

JAd6nccD2DdhIFZritsdSWiBX-D3WqjOebh4eHgQBX8bPqY-PsUBwoR2LjajG_UsvcJ3KWZR5m0u4wFeNP55tROXGHlXPgihl9qLG3EGuKAricSdzs4ikNb2gVO_Li1V8YqAMg=s0

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Geek thread! I have found my home :) Thanks for starting it @LucianoBorsato

I had tons of comics growing up. The main series I collected were G.I. Joe and Star Trek, with a smattering of super hero comics. My dad collected Batman (Legends of the Dark Knight) and I remember reading and re-reading those. I also collected the Dark Horse Predator, Aliens, and Star Wars series.

Also a massive Fantasy and Sci Fi reader. I've read a lot of series.

@Joe Hallenback I've played Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000 since the late 90s but only recently got into the Black Library books. Currently working on the Eisenhorn series and it's awesome. I'd say Storm of Iron is probably my favourite 40K book -- definitely check it out if you haven't read that one.

@surixon @SensibleGuy Like you, I played a lot of RPGs back in the day. AD&D (Dragonlance setting mostly), Cyberbunk 2020, Wizards of the Coast Star Wars were my poison. In the last year, I introduced my children to RPGs and decided to go with FFG's generic system GENESYS. We love it. Fantastic system. We're currently playing a space exploration theme campaign that I based somewhat off the Aliens universe but without the Xenomorphs (although there are other similar monstrous aliens). Kids are loving it. It is really interesting to watch the different play styles as they learn how to RPG. My youngest son (9 years old) is hilarious because he's a complete "murder hobo" and the others keep having to reign him in. My 13 and 12 year olds are pretty good at playing their roles. I am greatly enjoying GM'ing their sessions.
I love GM'ing kids - I've been doing it for years now and its very rewarding. My boys' best friends learned early on that there are consequences to trying to just attack ISB agents with disrupter pistols...

It's been neat to see them all consider their actions more and understand how everyone has unique motivations - some serious life lessons learned in a safe environment. And, of course, being a hero is always fun!

Reactions: ERYX

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
It's a little slow around here today with no game until Monday.

So, if you're bored and into old comics, I suggest reading the 4 issue limited series of Canada's most popular superhero, Wolverine.

Wolverine (1982) #1 - Read Wolverine (1982) Issue #1 Online | Full Page

Thanks for sharing this. I've long been a fan of Wolvering but was only 2 years old when those were released and never read them. I had no idea that Wolverine was married once upon a time!

I love GM'ing kids - I've been doing it for years now and its very rewarding. My boys' best friends learned early on that there are consequences to trying to just attack ISB agents with disrupter pistols...

It's been neat to see them all consider their actions more and understand how everyone has unique motivations - some serious life lessons learned in a safe environment. And, of course, being a hero is always fun!

Yes, absolutely! I've been enjoying it for the same reasons. My kids have learned quickly you can't just attack everyone and are focusing on non combat skills a lot more. Just wish we had more time to play.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
In the last year I’ve spent soooo much time playing City of Heroes.

COHgamebox.jpg

"wasn’t that was shut down in 2012?", not quite. There was a secret private server running until last year, and when that came out publicly they launched a bunch of free servers, and it seems like NC Soft is going to look the other way as long as they don’t try to change for the game. There are more people playing now then there were in most of it’s official lifespan lol.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm kinda planning to run some D&D with my son and maybe a friend or two. I'll be using Basic Fantasy Role Playing though...which for anyone who isn't aware is a real cool and extremely inexpensive way to play. I'm a big OSR guy. Love the old school rpgs.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Disney may release their films like Black Widow on Disney Plus as a test to see how people respond.

This may be the end of movie chains as people will watch movies at home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad