OT: Geek Haven: Comic Books, Comic Book movies, RPG's, Star Wars etc thread

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Another geek interest of mine is the Transformers.

My Dad bought me a red truck for Christmas.

Not just any red truck, a red truck that transformed into a giant freakin' robot!

350px-Optimusg1.jpg

Then came the cartoon and the iconic movie.

The Michael Bay movies were crap for the most part.

But, this scene from the Bumblebee movie gives me hope.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
I collect Choose Your Own Adventure books now, if anyone has some old ones they want to trade or sell let me know

I loved those when they first came out. Just have a handful of them though. Do you collect any of the other type of adventure/game books? I have the dungeon of dread which I think is a very early d&d foray into that area.
I also was rural with few people to d&d with, loved reading the player guide and monster manual.
Anyone ever play old boardgames like ogre or Starfleet battles?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Has anyone watched Star Trek: Picard yet? I'm only a casual Star Trek fan but it sounds good. I have the first few episodes PVR'ed, should probably check it out soon

There's a Picard discussion thread on the Entertainment Section of HF Boards you may want to check it out.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Another geek interest of mine is the Transformers.

My Dad bought me a red truck for Christmas.

Not just any red truck, a red truck that transformed into a giant freakin' robot!

350px-Optimusg1.jpg

Then came the cartoon and the iconic movie.

The Michael Bay movies were crap for the most part.

But, this scene from the Bumblebee movie gives me hope.

Bumblebee was actually good. A bit cheesy at times but the robots looked awesome, more like G1. Better than all the Bay ones.

The '86 movie, I still love it. I have the soundtrack on vinyl haha

Reactions: Guardian17

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I loved those when they first came out. Just have a handful of them though. Do you collect any of the other type of adventure/game books? I have the dungeon of dread which I think is a very early d&d foray into that area.
I also was rural with few people to d&d with, loved reading the player guide and monster manual.

Pretty much any game books that I see at the thrift stores I buy, that way I can trade and sell ones if needed. Mostly I concentrate on Choose Your Own Adventure, Which Way books and Time Machine series.

I had some of the TSR Marvel Super Heroes game books in the 80s, they were fun and followed more classic RPG mechanics like using points and dice.

I have a few of the TSR Endless Quest books kicking around

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

Ogre! I came very close to dropping the coin on the insanely over-produced re-issue that came out a few years ago! looked so awesome

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Ogre! I came very close to dropping the coin on the insanely over-produced re-issue that came out a few years ago! looked so awesome

Oh yeah! That looked amazing. Game knight still has one, not sure but they might have one to rent.

I have a copy of Ogre still.

Still have mine too, 1977. And a copy of the sequel g.e.v. that still has the red river books $5.00 tag on it.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Did anyone have the original TSR Dungeon board game from 1982? I found one at a thrift store a couple months ago for 2 bucks, I sold it on Ebay for $80. Didn't play it but it looked cool.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Did anyone have the original TSR Dungeon board game from 1982? I found one at a thrift store a couple months ago for 2 bucks, I sold it on Ebay for $80. Didn't play it but it looked cool.

Never had the original, but I bought the modern version a few years ago and played quite a few games with my younger son. Had a good time...

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I was gonna say that having both an RPG thread and a video games thread seemed a bit excessive, but then I saw both were outpacing the gym thread, so carry on.:laugh:

I've set up a couple of Call of Cthulhu campaigns in the past, most recently this fall. Unfortunately (or fortunately, cause I'm actually enjoying it), lab work picked up enough after Christmas that I dont really have the time to sit down and prepare the next session right now.

Maybe it's the company I keep, but it has been well received every time I've done it. It has been much harder to get people to show up the first time than to keep people in.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I played the old Star Wars rpg a lot, have you tried Fantasy Flight new version? I played it some, own the book.
Before FFG's edition, I had only played computer rpg's (small town, D&D considered spiritually sketchy growing up). I love it, and my gaming group has been semi-regularly running campaigns since the very first beta release (my best friend that I met as an adult cut his teeth on earlier Star Wars rpg's).

I love how characters don't get completely unbalanced as they gain experience (though some Force powers still can become ridiculous when levelled up) - and the player/GM collaboration is awesome. Right now I'm running a campaign with my teen boys and 2 of their friends - since we moved it's what kept them in touch online.

My friend even made an awesome wiki for our campaigns - I encourage my players to write short journals for our sessions, both to increase engagement and narrative character development (and it's a great creative writing outlet) and to help me out as a GM - then I find out what my players remember and enjoy.

My favourite character as a player may be from our Imperial Aces campaign 'Maestro' Andretti, a hotshot Xexto pilot. Very unreliable narrator in his journals!

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I have an old comic book collection. Most sealed off in plastic bags to preserve them. I think my most valuable comic is Iron Man #55 - first Thanos appearance. I think that’s worth $1,000. Some other old doozies from the 1960’s.

I played RPG’s back in the day. I enjoy the computerized versions now. Baldur’s Gate was a classic (which got rebooted into an enhanced version that plays well on an ipad). Also enjoy playing WoW (the Classic reboot).

Fan of the Marvel movies (Infinity War was amazing).

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Before FFG's edition, I had only played computer rpg's (small town, D&D considered spiritually sketchy growing up). I love it, and my gaming group has been semi-regularly running campaigns since the very first beta release (my best friend that I met as an adult cut his teeth on earlier Star Wars rpg's).

I love how characters don't get completely unbalanced as they gain experience (though some Force powers still can become ridiculous when levelled up) - and the player/GM collaboration is awesome. Right now I'm running a campaign with my teen boys and 2 of their friends - since we moved it's what kept them in touch online.

My friend even made an awesome wiki for our campaigns - I encourage my players to write short journals for our sessions, both to increase engagement and narrative character development (and it's a great creative writing outlet) and to help me out as a GM - then I find out what my players remember and enjoy.

My favourite character as a player may be from our Imperial Aces campaign 'Maestro' Andretti, a hotshot Xexto pilot. Very unreliable narrator in his journals!

That's pretty sweet.....well done. I'll read thru the wiki just for fun.

Reactions: FonRiesen

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Here is the comic that hooked me on the Marvel Universe:

View attachment 320851

Before that, I was strictly buying Star Wars, Looney Tunesand Disney comics.

But that Mike Zeck cover, wow. I was especially intrigued by that brown and orange guy with the claws in the bottom corner

Marvel initially tried huge "superhero team-up" with the Contest of Champions.

https://www.comicextra.com/marvel-super-hero-contest-of-champions/chapter-_TPB

clean.jpg

contest-1-4.jpg

But, you're right, Secret Wars was an excellent series and there are rumors that sometime in the future the Russo Brothers may return to Marvel to adapt it.

https://www.comicextra.com/marvel-super-heroes-secret-wars-1984/chapter-1

W0inzUtoDhQ8gGd4QLqZQF2NzLi6heeKdn8AvV6iHEt0w8gmuwTbbCiDROlWffEdXOjizTwQL6TF=s0

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
I wasn't on Earth during the original publication dates, but I've found some digital copies of Journey Into Mystery (early Thor) that I've been reading through this weekend.

I'm an avid reader of classic literature but I've been looking for a change of pace. I'm quite late to the Marvel universe.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I wasn't on Earth during the original publication dates, but I've found some digital copies of Journey Into Mystery (early Thor) that I've been reading through this weekend.

I'm an avid reader of classic literature but I've been looking for a change of pace. I'm quite late to the Marvel universe.

You can't go wrong with classic Jack Kirby Thor comic books

Reactions: Spock

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Anybody into war comics? My dad gave me 5 or 6 long boxes and they're mainly old war comics like GI Combat
Mentioned earlier in thread but I used to be a big fan of Sgt Rock and Weird War Tales.

Reactions: purdy44

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My brother is a big comic collector. He basically has every Marvel comic you can think of except for Amazing Fantasy 15

I grew up reading most of those comics and taking a beating when my brother found out I was removing the comics from the plastic covers.

I am huge fantasy and sci fi book reader. Probably read every series you think of.

Got into reading Warhammer40k via watching people playing it at hobby shops and then diving down the youtube rabbit hole on the lore behind it. Probably ready 40 Warhammer 40k books in the last 6 months lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad