GDT: Europa League Final - Liverpool vs Sevilla - St Jakob-Park, Basel, Switzerland

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not only three in a row for Sevilla as somebody noted, but now five in the last ten years. That's amazing, and this isn't a club that can just hold on to all of their players. Just look at who they offloaded last Summer.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Pretending like the second half had nothing to do with the first is wrong. Fact is Liverpool should have had two penalties and if they'd scored them they'd have been up 3-0. The complexion of the second half would have been totally different.

I wouldn't say that Liverpool shouldn't have had the penalties, but you can't say that the second half wouldn't have taken a different course if Liverpool had scored a penalty and not say that the game wouldn't have taken a different course if Sevilla had conceded a penalty on the earliest handball. They would have been more careful to avoid handballs or played more offensively if they had gone down earlier.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Jürgen Klopp has now lost 5 consecutive finals:

Europa League
Capital One Cup
DFB-Pokal
Champions League
DFB-Pokal

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Jürgen Klopp has now lost 5 consecutive finals:

Europa League
Capital One Cup
DFB-Pokal
Champions League
DFB-Pokal

Don't remind me. Of course part of the problem is that his teams typically face better opposition in the cup finals. The three Bayern matches were certainly a case of that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You seriously need to put the mouse away.

Absolutely, assuming the calls should have been made. I'm not saying they shouldn't have been as I didn't see the first half, but the complexion of the game would have been different. Sevilla obviously have the talent to pull back the match, but impossible to say they would have.

One when Firmino was going around the defender and he stuck his hand out to grab the ball and another where their defender put their hand on the ground to stop the ball going by. The latter was just as blatant as it gets. There was a second where Rami had his hand out and blocked the ball with it, but wasn't sure about that one.

It's one thing to lose but for the referee to have such a heinous impact on the game is hard to accept.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It helps that they're pretty good tbh

Sevilla wasn't 3-1 better than Liverpool in this match. At best for Sevilla, it should've been tied with those two penalties. If we want to assume the match would play out very differently with Liverpool up 3-0, Sevilla could've easily lost.

How does the best referee in Europe put in a performance like this? Did he really just happen to have maybe his worst match ever in a final? It doesn't help conspiracy theories.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
One when Firmino was going around the defender and he stuck his hand out to grab the ball and another where their defender put their hand on the ground to stop the ball going by. The latter was just as blatant as it gets. There was a second where Rami had his hand out and blocked the ball with it, but wasn't sure about that one.

It's one thing to lose but for the referee to have such a heinous impact on the game is hard to accept.

I'll take your word for it.

I get it. Happens to us all the time.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
At the end of the day like I said Moreno and Mignolet needed to have a good game for us to win.

Moreno was atrocious. That he continues to play I blame completely on Klopp. He's been atrocious since joining Liverpool and he is more at fault for Liverpool losing this final than any ref, even egregious handballs aside.

If he's not replaced I have no hope for next season.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Also in the big picture, Sevilla qualify for next seasons Champions League and will likely be in Pot 2 for next season which is good news for them. No Europe for Liverpool so they can concentrate on the league now

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Pretending like the second half had nothing to do with the first is wrong. Fact is Liverpool should have had two penalties and if they'd scored them they'd have been up 3-0. The complexion of the second half would have been totally different.

Had nothing to do with in the sense of Liverpool's quality of play. Of course it would have had an impact on tactics and approach, but Liverpool was horrid in the second half, especially defensively, and that's inexcusable in the second half of a final. That's mental fragility of another class.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Sevilla wasn't 3-1 better than Liverpool in this match. At best for Sevilla, it should've been tied with those two penalties. If we want to assume the match would play out very differently with Liverpool up 3-0, Sevilla could've easily lost.

How does the best referee in Europe put in a performance like this? Did he really just happen to have maybe his worst match ever in a final? It doesn't help conspiracy theories.

There's a problem with your first paragraph, as I previously noted. If Liverpool had been granted one of those penalties, the rest of the match would have also played out differently, and there would have been no guarantee that Sevilla would have had another hand ball and given another penalty.

Why would UEFA conspire to let Sevilla win? They have less exposure and far fewer fans than Liverpool.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Go look at what you posted. You posted a lot more than just commenting on the ref.

So you are telling me this game wasn't rigged for the Spanish team? It certainly seemed like it was. If not, what a big coincidence that the Spanish team gets every single controversy to go their way! :shakehead

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'll take your word for it.

I get it. Happens to us all the time.

https://streamable.com/d5h7

This was one of them. Can't find the other.

At the end of the day like I said Moreno and Mignolet needed to have a good game for us to win.

Moreno was atrocious. That he continues to play I blame completely on Klopp. He's been atrocious since joining Liverpool and he is more at fault for Liverpool losing this final than any ref, even egregious handballs aside.

If he's not replaced I have no hope for next season.

Moreno will be replaced after that, but only one of those goals could be blamed on him, and on that goal Mignolet should have thrown his body into traffic and punched it away. Mignolet also did no favors on the third. His positioning was shocking, but we already know this by now. He also routinely failed to come out and claim balls he should have. Any replacement will do.

Had nothing to do with in the sense of Liverpool's quality of play. Of course it would have had an impact on tactics and approach, but Liverpool was horrid in the second half, especially defensively, and that's inexcusable in the second half of a final. That's mental fragility of another class.

I agree. Some players here also did a major disappearing act when you wouldn't expect them to. Sturridge was the only attacker to turn up, and Coutinho and Firmino pretty much did nothing the whole match.

Calling one of those handballs would have prevented any of the 3 v 3 attacks Sevilla had, so the game would have been totally different. It's extremely frustrating and UEFA really needs to look into their referee selection process, but people have been saying that for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad