GDT: Czech Republic vs. Finland, Feb. 18, 9.00 PM Torino, 3.00 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I missed the first 1.5 periods of this game, can anyone tell me how Niitty has played? I know he had no chance on the 2nd one, did he have a chance on the 1st? Has he made any nice saves? Thanks for your help.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Starshollow said:
The thing that made it even worse, was the fact that he had a big smirk on his face after the situation was over.

cant get over how much I hate that smug son of a...

I really hope that someone takes care of him when he gets back to the NHL, and this coming from someone thats neither a Jagr, a Rangers or a Czech-fan.

That's not very nice thing to say about someone :sarcasm:

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
If the Chezh keep diving like that i need go buy some more beer... unfortunately they don't sell it after 9pm anywhere but bars :shakehead

And i still think it was a clean hit... he didn't hit him on the head, he wasnt away from boards... atleast it wasn't boarding. Keep your head up!!! :madfire:

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Gags1288 said:
I missed the first 1.5 periods of this game, can anyone tell me how Niitty has played? I know he had no chance on the 2nd one, did he have a chance on the 1st? Has he made any nice saves? Thanks for your help.
He's been good, he went out swimming on the first goal, but it was a nice move by Zidlicky.

C-J...*

Force said:
Anybody who approved to an action like that which intends or at least takes into account a serious injury is just not a decent human beeing or a sportsman who is dedicated to fairplay.

Jagr is a great player and seeing him beeing injured and unable to compete for a medal because of such an ugly move is simply sad.

Doesnt matter if it was Jagr or any other star, could´ve been a fourthliner in Latvia, it was still a disgusting hit on a defenceless player. there wasnt shoulder to shoulder, it was shoulder/elbow towards the head, he even aimed lower than any usual hit would be in that situation, simply cause he wanted to hit the head and take Jagr out of the game.

This takes me back to the Niedermayer Vs Forsberg incident, you all know what Im talking about. :madfire:

And dont use the word "sportsmanship" and Ruutu in the same sentence pls, atleast if it doesnt include "no".

Suspend him and then pull a Bertuzzi Vs Moore on his *** back in the NHL.

I love the physical part of hockey, noone likes a clean hit more than I do, this however had nothing to do with this sport.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
I think it was an awful hit by Ruutu and worth the penalty he got. I really hope Jagr will be OK, although I can't help but wonder if a proper helmet could have protected him more. You could see the Jofa helmet bend in the replay.

Anyway, I think 2-2 is pretty fair after 2 periods. Some weak calls both ways, but the game is still wide open.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
Do you play ice hockey?

I do.

If i make a hit, i do it for a purpose.
I try to knock the puck carrier of the puck.

You can use the amount of power you need to accomplish that goal, or you can try to hit as hard as you can.

Jagr lost the battle for the puck already. There was no need to bump into him like that. It did not change the play on the ice at all. However it took a verry good player out of the game, and that is what he wanted to do.

As a matter of fakt he increased finlands chance to win by taking jagr out. That was absolutely intentional and to be honest i'd ban this guy from the olympics.

Else we get another Bertuzi situation where some Jagr NHL teammate tries to kill Rutuu during the next game.

C-J...*

psycho_dad said:
What Ruutu did was a clean hit with unfortunate results. Still, it should not reward a penalty, because all he did was play hockey.

Ruutu dont even know what hockey is, apparently, neither do you.

I might be a homer, but thats atleast better than being a total idiot defending and even supporting things like this.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
trippyime said:
I already said it was dirty. For sure there was a better way to go about it, such as what you've already said. I'm just saying, Jagr had his head down and it wasn't from behind, I don't think it was worthy of 5 and a game.

Folks, I gotta tell you. I'm watching this in HD with my DVR and I'm watching it in slow motion. Jagr is not on his knees. Rutuu does not lead with his elbow. Jagr had given up possession just a split second prior. And above all else, it is not boarding by any definition of the term.

Quite honestly, I am struggling to see how this is a "dirty" hit moreso than it was "Jagr's bleeding, it must've been illegal~!"

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
It wasn't a boarding but it was a very blatant charging penalty. Ruutu came at him full speed. True Jagr did duck and that made the situation even worse, but the fact remains that he did charge to make that bodycheck. On top of this, Jagr was fighting for the puck with another finn and there was absolutely 0 need for any kind of bodycheck.

Different thing entirely if Ruutu really was dumb enough to try and injure Jagr. I don't think he did, but I'm really not too sure about that either.

As for Zidlicky, his offensive skills seem to be very underrated in the NHL, wish we could pry him back to HIFK :D

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PitkanenPower said:
Folks, I gotta tell you. I'm watching this in HD with my DVR and I'm watching it in slow motion. Jagr is not on his knees. Rutuu does not lead with his elbow. Jagr had given up possession just a split second prior. And above all else, it is not boarding by any definition of the term.

Quite honestly, I am struggling to see how this is a "dirty" hit moreso than it was "Jagr's bleeding, it must've been illegal~!"
I agree, I really didn't think it was that bad. If Jagr pops right back up there, I don't think Ruutu gets a penalty for that hit, just my opinion.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
PitkanenPower said:

Ramming a guy's head into the boards just isn't cool. I don't care what league or what rules. I don't stand for head shots.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Borlag said:
It wasn't a boarding but it was a very blatant charging penalty. Ruutu came at him full speed. True Jagr did duck and that made the situation even worse, but the fact remains that he did charge to make that bodycheck. On top of this, Jagr was fighting for the puck with another finn and there was absolutely 0 need for any kind of bodycheck.

Different thing entirely if Ruutu really was dumb enough to try and injure Jagr. I don't think he did, but I'm really not too sure about that either.

As for Zidlicky, his offensive skills seem to be very underrated in the NHL, wish we could pry him back to HIFK :D

I can agree with you. I have my personal problems with "charging" as a penalty overall. But ok, I can agree that it might have been a 2 minute charging penalty (even though as I have now watched the replay in slow-mo several times Ruutu's leaves one skate on the ice).

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Exciting game, horrible hit

It's hits like that which contribute to the frequent injuries of many NHL starsmake the NHL less than it could be.

I hope Jagr's OK, Ruutu's a bum.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
No explanation necessary.

Since there is none. Shoulder contact, not boarding, slow speed....

There is no explanation, other than the fact that the other player is a superstar and the other is crap.

But same rules should apply to all. If Jagr would have hit Ruutu like that, it would not have been a penalty, since there was no ground for penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad