GDT: Czech Republic vs. Finland, Feb. 18, 9.00 PM Torino, 3.00 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikke72

May 30, 2005
Espoo, Finland
I agree that it was boarding, Jagr was thrown violently against the board. But it was not charging nor elbowing nor checking from behind. But it was boarding. And in my opinion 5 + 20 minutes was a fair judgement but 2 minutes would have been a fair judgement too...

There were two things that make this hit look more ugly than it was and that caused the penalty to be 5 + 20 minutes instead of minor. 1) Jagr had his head down (and this is not Ruutu's fault) 2) Jagr was wearing a helmet, which provides none protection (neither Ruutu's fault).

Nikke

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Yesterday it looked bad, but i checked it again, and if Jagr wouldnt lean just when the hit comes, it would of been just a check.

Hope #68 is allright.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
psycho_dad said:
You need to take 3 kicks before the hit for it to be charging, Ruutu was sliding the whole way through. If you "do not know what the actual ruling is" then dont comment like you actually know if it was illegal or not....then you are only commenting on a feeling, not on facts.

You certainly are psycho. I said for Checking from Behind and Boarding that it COULD have also been those. I admitted that I didn't know the exact ruling because I wasn't arrogant like most people around here seem to be.

As for Charging which was my main claim. Here is the NHL Rulebook on Charging:

http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule47.html

I'm guessing IIHF Charging rules are similar. No where does it say that sliding isn't charging. He charged towards Jagr from a long distance out, and the impact of the hit was "violent" (and a violent hit is grounds enough for a charge).

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Ott = Snott said:
3 games in:

3 goals, 4 assists for 7 points for Jere Lehtinen
5 goals, 2 assists for 7 points for Teemu Selanne
0 goals, 5 assists for 5 points for Saku Koivu

Not bad..

Make that a goal and 5 assists for Koivu.

Over the past eight years, that line has played 8 games together while relatively healthy and 6 games where each and every one of them were more or less injured, and collected 63 points! :amazed:

Last edited:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
bcrt2000 said:
I'm guessing IIHF Charging rules are similar. No where does it say that sliding isn't charging. He charged towards Jagr from a long distance out, and the impact of the hit was "violent" (and a violent hit is grounds enough for a charge).

How long have you been watching hockey? There are craploads of EXTREMELY violent hits which go uncalled. Remember Ruutu-Ritchie in pre-season? Much, *much* more violent hit than yesterday's hit, no penalty called.

A hit is not charging because of the impact speed, it's how much extra speed you take when aiming to take the hit. After it was evident that Ruutu planned to hit Jagr, he took 1-2 kicks before GLIDING in to Jagr.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Pepper said:
How long have you been watching hockey? There are craploads of EXTREMELY violent hits which go uncalled. Remember Ruutu-Ritchie in pre-season? Much, *much* more violent hit than yesterday's hit, no penalty called.

A hit is not charging because of the impact speed, it's how much extra speed you take when aiming to take the hit. After it was evident that Ruutu planned to hit Jagr, he took 1-2 kicks before GLIDING in to Jagr.

That's how "I" interpret the rule too (Impact velocity doesnt' matter, it's the acceleration jsut prior to contact that matters), but the rulebook is so poorly written that it doesn't define anything.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
That's how "I" interpret the rule too (Impact velocity doesnt' matter, it's the acceleration jsut prior to contact that matters), but the rulebook is so poorly written that it doesn't define anything.

That's how NHL referees interpret it as well.

MrAlfie

I just wish Ruutu had of got his hands up and slammed Jagrs head into the boards to maximize the injury factor.

taken from the canucks board....
yeah.. this is true hockey, right?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
MrAlfie said:
taken from the canucks board....
yeah.. this is true hockey, right?

Why don't you reply to the poster of that instead of dragging that crap here??

MrAlfie

Pepper said:
Why don't you reply to the poster of that instead of dragging that crap here??

because a) its the canucks board and b) id be labelled a troll if i did...

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
And now it was confirmed on Swedish Television, asking the head of all referees in Sweden: THERE IS NO MINIMAL LENGTH FOR BOARDING.

You CAN receive a boarding penalty even if the opponent is standing next to the boards. Just as I've said for the last 6 hours.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
MrAlfie said:
because a) its the canucks board and b) id be labelled a troll if i did...

Who cares if it's a canucks board? Reply there, don't bring that crap over here. Now you're just trolling here.

MrAlfie

Pepper said:
Who cares if it's a canucks board? Reply there, don't bring that crap over here. Now you're just trolling here.

whered be the difference to you if i "troll" here or on your board?

and it looks like i was right about point b)

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
I just watched the check of Ruutu on the YLE video stream. Although Ruutu didn't aim the head of Jagr and kept the shoulders down, no elbowing, I'm really disappointed about this action of him.
From where Ruutu checked Jagr and with the speed he cam, he risked or had to face an injurie of Jagr by slamming him into the board.

In my opinion it was absolutely unnecessary to hit him like this into the board. It shouldn't be the objective to take out of the game the best player of the opponent like this. I hope the Finns will not try to win the next games like that, despite that I'm cheering for them.

I really hope Jagr continues playing and the Finns don't happen the same.

May it be a good and physically game against Canada, but fair.

Last edited:

zambonidriver

Jan 20, 2005
I am a Jagr fan , but that was a good hit . Sure the ref has no replay and 2 hour time to evaluate it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->