GDT: GDT #27 New York Islanders vs Toronto Maple Leafs | December 11th | 7:00 PM | F/4-3 OTW

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
You guys still have crazy hate for Tavares, eh?

Do you also have anger towards Isles mgmt for missing all the signs that he wasnt guaranteed to sign here? When he said..

"I just wanna see the whole thing play out" or something similar -- to me? tells me that hes not a guaranteed re-sign. He COULD sign elsewhere.. so be mad at him all you want.

Failure is on Isles mgmt for 1. believing he'd sign with the Isles and 2. not dealing him for something beforehand.

That's Bones' hot taek.
I hope he never wins anything.

Let me put it this way... We need 2 points tonight, Toronto is the team we are playing so I hope we win. They can score at will and a tough match up. I think 99% of us feel the same.

Also, if you don't think the Toronto fans didn't help kindle the fire, not sure what to tell you. I honestly think the landing spot made it much worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I like the robot man, the traitor, the snake...
...for each game he loses, each year his team can't get the cup I like him more
This is true. We outlasted his team almost every year he has been gone, he is a gift to us at this point. Him leaving was actually a great thing when all is said and done.

Reactions: PWJunior

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This is true. We outlasted his team almost every year he has been gone, he is a gift to us at this point. Him leaving was actually a great thing when all is said and done.
I dunno man. I think you can make a strong argument that this team defeats TB in 2020 and/or 2021 (and in turn, wins a cup) with Tavares on the roster.

Reactions: crasherino

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Now that we’ve rehashed the JT crap for the 3,433 time, maybe we can talk about the game?

any lineups yet for each team?

edit: looks like same lineup for isles tonight as was vs kings

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Dangerous strategy to give arbitrary ultimatums to your franchise player. Especially considering the year before was the worst year of his career. Asking him to forego his UFA year (which ended up being one of his best) that will dictate the biggest contract of his life is a hard ask. And UFA status for an all star in the prime of his career is very attractive. He had all the leverage. Sure they could've traded him. But I believe they did the right thing - Do all you can to convince him to sign, up until the final minute. Tavares said all the right things that fans wanted to hear (I want to retire an Islander, etc.). But when push came to shove, he made his decision.

Could he have been more transparent about entertaining other offers? Sure. Disappointing that he chose to NOT be part of the new era (new owners, new arena, new coaching/management). Totally understandable for fans to mercilessly boo him.
I don't disagree - that approach (giving an ultimatum) wasn't done in hockey for the simple reason that stars typically stayed with their own franchise up to that point. I don't think anyone ever seriously thought that Tavares would move from the Islanders. He was the face of the franchise, he took a sweetheart deal the time before and everything he said was positive....except that he wouldn't quite sign. In retrospect, the team should have taken it as a red flag, but at the time, it wasn't realistic to trade him.

He had the team by the short hairs. He was more than your typical franchise player/captain. He basically dictated the terms of everything for the team. If the players wanted a day off from practice, they'd go to John and he'd request it. In a fledgling/little brother type franchise, he was the one ray of hope. And he knew that....and knew that he had all the leverage. When he told the team not to trade him at the deadline, there was no way the team could do that. There would have been a revolt.

And that's why I have a major problem with what he pulled. I have no idea whether he knew he was leaving, but he obviously knew there was a major chance. Its not like the leafs all of a sudden materialized as an option. They were his boyhood team and they were always there. He ultimately led the Islanders along for a season + and then dropped them, leaving them high and dry. Sure, that was his prerogative as he reached free agency, but morally, it was pretty repugnant. He knew what he meant to this franchise and rather than make a decision at a time when the team could protect itself, he chose to let it go down to the wire. In effect, he preyed upon a franchise that was at his whim. Doesn't bode well for where management put themselves, but that's the way it was (and I fully agree that we had incompetent management - different discussion though). He was akin to the dude who - rather than break up with his fiancee weeks/months before the wedding, is too much of a coward and instead just doesn't show up on the big day.

Tavares changed the way teams deal with their superstars. They no longer let themselves reach the point of no return where they can get left with nothing. Now, the decision is fast forwarded a year. If you don't want to sign an extension here - cool. We'll trade you. You might get booed when you come back, but not to the extent that Tavares. Not with the vitriol that he's held here.

I'm sure he's a great person if you know him. But he did us dirty. We have every right to hate the muthaf'er. His return to the Coliseum was up there with games I'll always remember. It was somewhat cathartic. I don't think about him much and am not even going tonight (other people have my tickets), but when I do think of him, its about what a snake he is.

You know, guys, we're not just Tavares. We have a whole team you can hate on ;)
The ghost of shayne corson and darcy tucker still loom large here. Its like we had a running start to hating you guys when Tavares left.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I don't disagree - that approach (giving an ultimatum) wasn't done in hockey for the simple reason that stars typically stayed with their own franchise up to that point. I don't think anyone ever seriously thought that Tavares would move from the Islanders. He was the face of the franchise, he took a sweetheart deal the time before and everything he said was positive....except that he wouldn't quite sign. In retrospect, the team should have taken it as a red flag, but at the time, it wasn't realistic to trade him.

He had the team by the short hairs. He was more than your typical franchise player/captain. He basically dictated the terms of everything for the team. If the players wanted a day off from practice, they'd go to John and he'd request it. In a fledgling/little brother type franchise, he was the one ray of hope. And he knew that....and knew that he had all the leverage. When he told the team not to trade him at the deadline, there was no way the team could do that. There would have been a revolt.

And that's why I have a major problem with what he pulled. I have no idea whether he knew he was leaving, but he obviously knew there was a major chance. Its not like the leafs all of a sudden materialized as an option. They were his boyhood team and they were always there. He ultimately led the Islanders along for a season + and then dropped them, leaving them high and dry. Sure, that was his prerogative as he reached free agency, but morally, it was pretty repugnant. He knew what he meant to this franchise and rather than make a decision at a time when the team could protect itself, he chose to let it go down to the wire. In effect, he preyed upon a franchise that was at his whim. Doesn't bode well for where management put themselves, but that's the way it was (and I fully agree that we had incompetent management - different discussion though). He was akin to the dude who - rather than break up with his fiancee weeks/months before the wedding, is too much of a coward and instead just doesn't show up on the big day.

Tavares changed the way teams deal with their superstars. They no longer let themselves reach the point of no return where they can get left with nothing. Now, the decision is fast forwarded a year. If you don't want to sign an extension here - cool. We'll trade you. You might get booed when you come back, but not to the extent that Tavares. Not with the vitriol that he's held here.

I'm sure he's a great person if you know him. But he did us dirty. We have every right to hate the muthaf'er. His return to the Coliseum was up there with games I'll always remember. It was somewhat cathartic. I don't think about him much and am not even going tonight (other people have my tickets), but when I do think of him, its about what a snake he is.

The ghost of shayne corson and darcy tucker still loom large here. Its like we had a running start to hating you guys when Tavares left.
Words matter. Tavares could have announced his decision to LI fans that was more palatable but he chose pajamas.

Reactions: PWJunior

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Hello all,

I hope all is well.

Since there seems to be some confusion RE Tavares and the Maple Leafs, I've made this handy-dandy flowchart

Maple Laffs.png

Hope this helps!

-Tres Peleches (AKA Noreaster96)

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Meh let's see if they surprise me. Asking a lot of this D lineup tonight.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I dunno man. I think you can make a strong argument that this team defeats TB in 2020 and/or 2021 (and in turn, wins a cup) with Tavares on the roster.
Maybe, we would just need Gary to let us over the cap by 12mil. Everyone forgets that JT's money would have meant weaknesses elsewhere. So now go back and pick out the players you would have to remove from the roster. to make it work. Also don't forget that it's not 12mil flat, if you take off 2 guys making 6 each still have to add someone back making some salary.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m trying to get ready for the game and be angry at Tavares and rhey gotta play this Clark Gillies thing before the game and now I’m crying like a little bitch

Losing Gillies and Bossy were such gut punches. Legends never die

You know, guys, we're not just Tavares. We have a whole team you can hate on ;)
Hard to hate guys like Nylander Marner and the American badass Matthews.

The leafs fans on the other hand…..

Reactions: Rare Jewel

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
JT is 11 points in 11 games against us.
Johnny Pajamas is consistent I’ll give him that!

Has Captained both teams he’s played for, has only advanced past the first round once for both teams he’s played for, etc., the list goes on!

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That's okay, I was only young, but I still remember Steve Webb running around like a lunatic as well.
But he didn't take out your captians knee. Also, ill never forget when Eric Cairns was beating His ass, Corson kicked him with his skate.

That's series was insane

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
But he didn't take out your captians knee. Also, ill never forget when Eric Cairns was beating His ass, Corson kicked him with his skate.

That's series was insane
True, it was a terrible hit. and yeah, that series was probably the most violent that the Sundin era Leafs team played.

Reactions: SI90

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I haven't seen the lineup yet actually, but he'll likely be in.

If guys have Bortuzzo in then he may have something to do.
Did Bortuzzo say something mean about Reaves for him to comment about in an interview? If only he got off the bench more then he said he would.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00