GDT: GDT #27 New York Islanders vs Toronto Maple Leafs | December 11th | 7:00 PM | F/4-3 OTW

Green

Nov 13, 2019
You guys still have crazy hate for Tavares, eh?

Do you also have anger towards Isles mgmt for missing all the signs that he wasnt guaranteed to sign here? When he said..

"I just wanna see the whole thing play out" or something similar -- to me? tells me that hes not a guaranteed re-sign. He COULD sign elsewhere.. so be mad at him all you want.

Failure is on Isles mgmt for 1. believing he'd sign with the Isles and 2. not dealing him for something beforehand.

That's Bones' hot taek.
he still lied and had no intention on ever re-signing on the Islanders, if he had been honest or at least not lied there would not be this hate and the Islanders would have probably traded him

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
So if Slowpoke Rodriguez gets 2 points for his 1000 milestone...

Will the Islanders acknowledge it with congratulations on the scoreboard? I fear yes.
Uhhh, is there any precedent for a team congratulating an opposing player for a milestone accomplished in the same game against them?

Reactions: TheGroceryStick

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Can't both be true? Can't the Isles management be totally incompetent for failing to protect themselves AND Tavares be a total snake for leading on and deceiving a team that he had a disproportionate leverage over (the reasons for which can be debated at another time)?

I guess -- but Tavares never said that he would definitely re-sign. Least I dont recall that he did.

Be mad at him, but Isles mgmt certainly deserves more than 50%, IMO.

Reactions: redbull and Lek

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
he still lied and had no intention on ever re-signing on the Islanders, if he had been honest or at least not lied there would not be this hate and the Islanders would have probably traded him
I really hate reopening this box of doofusness, but there's no evidence for this accusation.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

You have no idea if that is true or not. You may feel that way - and you might be right.....

.....but you dont know.

I really hate reopening this box of doofusness, but there's no evidence for this accusation.

Im going to make "Pejorative Sluration" my username on my next messageboard. Nicely done.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I guess -- but Tavares never said that he would definitely re-sign. Least I dont recall that he did.

Be mad at him, but Isles mgmt certainly deserves more than 50%, IMO.
He asked not to be traded at the deadline. Considering that team was pretty much "The Islanders - presented by John Tavares" at that time, there was no real way for them to trade him. He gave every indication that he wanted to come back with his "I hope it works out" etc. etc. We know now that it was bullshit and we shouldn't have relied on his empty words, but the team was so inextricably connected with Tavares, trading him midseason would have been a very difficult endeavor.

What they should have done was - a year before - give him until September 15th to sign an extension. If he wouldn't commit by then, the team would have to - regrettably - shop him. But that wasn't done at that time and the Islanders had every indication that he would stay.

Tavares's chicanery changed the paradigm of dealing with superstars going forward.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
He asked not to be traded at the dealine? lovely. and I tell my boss I like his style of mgmt.

He also said "I wanna see how it all plays out" -- that tells me he wants to hear offers, test out free agency.. If Im GM and I hear that? thats my cue to start listening to other GM for trades. Trust nobody.

and yea, Isles fans would lose their minds if they dealt him -- but all mgmt would have to say is "He wouldnt commit to definitely staying with us and we couldnt afford to lose him with no return" and Im sure most logical fans could understand that.

Boo him all you want -- thats just not the full story.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
yay lets get into this again
I'm not gonna watch that, but the evidence points to that he was willing to sign with the Islanders if it was the best option, but he was going to consider what else was out there. He had no idea what other offers were available until free agency. He had no way of knowing if Toronto was an option, if that was his preferred destination.

Whether or not he should have been traded based on that is a matter of opinion. But, it's different than "no intention."

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
"hopefully it'll work out here" and "I want it to work out here" is the constant.

If you're a GM, and you are putting all your eggs in that basket? then you're a fool.

Hockey players are reprogrammed to really not say much of anything - just listen to a post game interview.

Sorry brother. This is ISLES MANAGEMENT FAIL.

Again.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
You should experience an Isles-Rags game at UBS if you want annoying and insufferable fans from the away team.
i saw an Isles-NYR at MSG a few years back, Isles won, Tavares scored, NYR fans were pretty vocal. Great place to watch a game, that's for sure.

Islanders - Leafs is one of my fav rivalries ever since Cairns-Corson, S.Bates

I became an Islanders fan when the Leafs knocked off the Islanders in '78. As a kid, Bossy was my fav player and he was knocked out of the playoffs with a dirty crosscheck to the neck in the playoffs (Jerry Butler) - scary

Yes, I hate all young people, if you don't remember this, watch it. One of the best things the Boss did was raise awareness of dirty hits from behind.

Anyway, hoping for a wicked game.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise

Again.
The fail is that the proper motivation to stay wasn't properly implemented. This is a focus on the outcome rather than the cause.

Im going to make "Pejorative Sluration" my username on my next messageboard. Nicely done.
Apparently, you can say a lot of things, but the "R" word is forbidden!

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
What they should have done was - a year before - give him until September 15th to sign an extension.
Dangerous strategy to give arbitrary ultimatums to your franchise player. Especially considering the year before was the worst year of his career. Asking him to forego his UFA year (which ended up being one of his best) that will dictate the biggest contract of his life is a hard ask. And UFA status for an all star in the prime of his career is very attractive. He had all the leverage. Sure they could've traded him. But I believe they did the right thing - Do all you can to convince him to sign, up until the final minute. Tavares said all the right things that fans wanted to hear (I want to retire an Islander, etc.). But when push came to shove, he made his decision.

Could he have been more transparent about entertaining other offers? Sure. Disappointing that he chose to NOT be part of the new era (new owners, new arena, new coaching/management). Totally understandable for fans to mercilessly boo him.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
To some he is their “Bailey”.
In a way, all of us has a Bailey to face. For some, shyness might be their Bailey. For others, a lack of education might be their Bailey. For us, Bailey is a small, timid man who wants to bore us. But as sure as my name is Big L, the people of Isles HF Boards can conquer their own personal Bailey!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You guys still have crazy hate for Tavares, eh?

Do you also have anger towards Isles mgmt for missing all the signs that he wasnt guaranteed to sign here? When he said..

"I just wanna see the whole thing play out" or something similar -- to me? tells me that hes not a guaranteed re-sign. He COULD sign elsewhere.. so be mad at him all you want.

Failure is on Isles mgmt for 1. believing he'd sign with the Isles and 2. not dealing him for something beforehand.

That's Bones' hot taek.
Nobody plays the aggrieved card like Islanders fans.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
"hopefully it'll work out here" and "I want it to work out here" is the constant.

If you're a GM, and you are putting all your eggs in that basket? then you're a fool.

Hockey players are reprogrammed to really not say much of anything - just listen to a post game interview.

Again.
I don't think anyone will dispute that the Isles management failed. Exhibit A is that Tavares isn't here and we didn't get compensation for him.

Of course they failed. That's not really in dispute.

Exhibit B - that management ain't here either anymore.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
In a way, all of us has a Bailey to face. For some, shyness might be their Bailey. For others, a lack of education might be their Bailey. For us, Bailey is a small, timid man who wants to bore us. But as sure as my name is Big L, the people of Isles HF Boards can conquer their own personal Bailey!

Attachments

• 1702327883662.png
    1702327883662.png
    100.9 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: