GDT: GDT #24 New York Islanders vs San Jose Sharks | December 5th | 7:30 PM | F/5-4 OTL

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Most honest/accurate post I've seen in a while. So incredibly astute and on point.
It’s still worth hiring a new coach to see what can be made with this team. They are in thick of race despite what’s happened, I’d like to see someone like Gallant see if they could fix this.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
We can blame lane…he def sucks…but it’s time to start being honest with our group. This was the worst defensive group in the entire league before trotz…after trotz left Lou signed all these dudes to long term, possibly unmovable deals. They just were never that good to begin with. The trotz puck possession, conservative style, was a band aid. This is what they are. We can only play one way…and if we do our offense will definitely deteriorate but at least now we kinda score on the PP? I dunno I’m just frustrated af lol
Disagree
How can the team be ok for 45-50 minutes a game and then fall apart defensively for the last 10-25 minutes a game?
Its lack of structure, focus and his poor situational, personnel decisions
That’s Lamberts downfall

He’s really measured in post game but on bench he’s very animated. He waited a long time for this chance and I’m sure he knows it’s close to being over for him.
He’s animated on the bench?
Compared to?
The Easter Island statues?
The only animation I see? Is a look of continuous befuddledment

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Disagree
How can the team be ok for 45-50 minutes a game and then fall apart defensively for the last 10-25 minutes a game?
That’s Lamberts downfall

Compared to?
He’s very animated behind bench especially with the assistants.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Sorokin has turned into Tommy Salo.

And Mr. 7 points in 2 games, comes back goes -3, 0 points, and a stalwart defensive play in OT… nothing to see here folks. 8 more years baby!

Lane is playing the ‘stars’ so in the end when he is canned, he can when interviewed for another gig, he put them in to step up and they didn’t.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Disagree
That’s Lamberts downfall

Compared to?
Lane was showing signs of frustration when we were winning. He's out of his depth, quite clearly.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Three strikes you're out. Lambert has about 10.
PP better, a positive...but we got lucky previous two games and the list of disasters he's overseeing is huge.
PK awful
Can't hold leads
Can't win in OT
Can't win at home
Defensive breakdowns
Bad penalties
No good when other team goes EN (Not one goal this year)
Can't outshoot teams, in fact generally get heavily outchanced
Haven't put in a genuine 60-minute game all season
Stubborn reliance on faltering fourth line

Reactions: MarsTBOW

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Houda is a big part of the problem. The defense and defensive zone coverage is a mess. Pointed out many many times. I assume he is the Aho fan as well.
Can not agree more
D-zone coverage across all lines, and all pairs has been bad
Especially, and befuddling my late in games
Way too many tap ins

I was at the game and thinking the same
Reilly can skate better than anyone on this team except for Barzal
Why was that scrub Pageau on the ice in OT
I
Pageau is shot
Should be, at best 4th line center
Creates problems cause Casey is far from a third liner

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It’s still worth hiring a new coach to see what can be made with this team. They are in thick of race despite what’s happened, I’d like to see someone like Gallant see if they could fix this.
The Isles are getting away with this crap bc the EC is not very good. The goaltending is terrible.

Right now, Lou’s gong show is better than. Dubas gong show. The SC champs in waiting (BUF, OTT, CLB) are doing exactly what happens when the pressure is on to take the next step: up or out. They are closer to lotto land again…

SI

Feb 16, 2013
We can blame lane…he def sucks…but it’s time to start being honest with our group. This was the worst defensive group in the entire league before trotz…after trotz left Lou signed all these dudes to long term, possibly unmovable deals. They just were never that good to begin with. The trotz puck possession, conservative style, was a band aid. This is what they are. We can only play one way…and if we do our offense will definitely deteriorate but at least now we kinda score on the PP? I dunno I’m just frustrated af lol
What does this mean? Trotz Isles were not a possession-type team at all.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
He’s very animated behind bench especially with the assistants.
Are you seeing frustration, lack of answers, cluelessness directed at his assistants as animation?
Ok
I’ll buy that

I see a guy who’s got a plan, then like Mike Tyson said
Everyone’s got a plan, till they get punched in the face
Lambert? And his staff can’t/won’t/don’t know how to counterpunch

Reactions: The Real JT and Lek

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Lou, cannot ignore this too much longer.

When you see a team lack discipline and botch 3rd period leads as much as they have this season it is an indictment on the coaching. I have seen Lou fire coaches for less... I don't know if Lane lasts much longer.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
The other issue is now every team in the league knows how badly we fold late in games, especially when in front.
So none of them are ever going to throw in the towel, and there will be no comfortable wins.
You could see it today, San Jose were down and out but had a belief they could still win, in fact by the end of regulation they knew they were winning pretty much.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Tired of hearing the same old “ it was bad” “ this can’t happen”

Until they get a new voice and coaching staff this is who this team is.

Maybe nothing changes but to not call a timeout when the sharks made it 4-3 is inconceivable and Lanes coached like that all year. He can’t make any adjustments in games and he’s completely oblivious to what buttons to push.

This team needs a new voice. And they need it Yesterday

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Lou, cannot ignore this too much longer.

When you see a team lack discipline and botch 3rd period leads as much as they have this season it is an indictment on the coaching. I have seen Lou fire coaches for less... I don't know if Lane lasts much longer.
I’m assuming ownership probably is against a coaching change barring this just spiraling out of control

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Well this was the worst loss in ages, I mean and I knew it was going to happen..... Mayfield was the biggest disaster and really had a horrible game..

Lambert needed to call a time out to stop the momentum. This team thinks failure, I do believe this is a team that can make a deep playoff run, with another coach... Sutter is my choice but if not him at this point I would take Vigneault or Julien just to have a new voice.

Holmstrom is getting a lot better with each game and Gauthier is looking good. Reilly wasn't bad either.

New Coach and hopefully soon.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If Lane wasn’t canned after the losing streak I don’t see why he would be now. Lou sounded genuinely confident in him in his presser the other day :confused:
Then we know who else is a problem as well.

Problem is Ledecky feels he owes everything to Lou. I am confident though in Malkin. These guys don’t get to where they are without having to make tough decisions. Scott Malkin ain’t stupid.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
One of the worst teams I've watched this year, if not the worst. Not even exaggerating. The sky being blue and NYI blowing a lead have the same exact probability. How have they not fired this coach yet? How many blown leads have to happen before this guy gets canned?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I’m assuming ownership probably is against a coaching change barring this just spiraling out of control
I disagree - if they continue to lose leads in the third period. Lou will not sit on his hands and neither will ownership.

What is interesting in the presser after the game, the interviewer mentions the best game they played all year was a game they blew in the third period - the only reason it was a highlight or considered the best game they played is because they actually won it in OT... that says a lot only to get bitten again at home a few days later.

Ultimately, the players have to make those plays and Mayfield botched 3 plays... maybe they are doing too much, maybe he is not fully healthy... but they need a change on the bench... a new voice.

And most of you know I defended Lambert all of last season, but I have seen enough.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I disagree - if they continue to lose leads in the third period. Lou will not sit on his hands and neither will ownership.
How many do they have to blow? They have to be in double digits by now

EDIT: They have also played 24 games 10 blown leads

Reactions: SI

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Then we know who else is a problem as well.

Problem is Ledecky feels he owes everything to Lou. I am confident though in Malkin. These guys don’t get to where they are without having to make tough decisions. Scott Malkin ain’t stupid.
And for as much as Ledecky is a bit of a good and cheerleader, he ain’t stupid either. Fans are underestimating him because of his behavior and outwardness.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Someone explain what Brock Nelson is doing on OT winner? Trying to pretend to be a pylon???

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
How is it humanely possible to lose against the worst team in the league being 4-1 up with 5 mins to go?? This team has got some serious issues with their mental toughness.

They had a few golden opportunitites to score whilst being 4-1 up but somehow failed to and then just fell apart. It's unforgiveable.

Reactions: scottywiper

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
They have been doing this all year long... Two chase the same guy and leave the front of the net open
And it has been somewhat disguised by the fact they are ahead in most games, thus "we are doing some good things out there" type quotes. This team IS NOT playing good hockey yet despite themselves they have leads. The coaching staff is not fixing problems and at this point at least some assistants need to be replaced, though i prefer the head coach to go fist and/or as well.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad