Garth Snow: Top 15 (16) or bottom 15 (16) GM in the NHL?

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Snow is imo easily better than the following GMs:
John Chayka
Don Sweeney
Peter Chiarelli
Marc Bergevin
Kevin Cheveldayoff

and worse than:
Stan Bowman
Ken Holland
Jim Rutherford
Lou Lamoriello
Steve Yzerman

And somewhere on par with the rest. A lot of the GMs like Rob Blake, Jason Botteril and Ron Francis has had too short careers to say much about. Can't someone of all you nerds on this forum put together a script to rank the general managers?

Reactions: Critical

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
I like most of the things he's done but he hasn't been able to bump the team up to serious contender. I viewed his vane trade similarly to the trade the penguins made for Hossa before they went to the cup the first time. that didn't pan out and they kinda stagnated since until recently with a couple of value trades/draft picks.
I think id say top half. definitely towards the middle regardless

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Overall body of work hurts because until the 14-15 season Wang had the orders to keep the team at the floor or even lower of the cap

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Bottom 5 in my view.

Since he took over in 2006 the Islanders have missed the play-offs 7 time, made them 4 times. They have never made it to the Conference Finals and weren't really competitive the two times they made it to the 2nd round.

He, like many mediocre GMs, has had some hits and misses in the draft. I am not sure if it is a good thing or bad thing that misses seem to come from the high picks (reinhart, mdc, strome, Bailey) while he has had some good success with later picks (Hamonic, Nelson).

I can't remember all his trades (outside of the great Oilers rip-off) but I don't remember a ton of great ones and he really seems to have struggled surrounding a great talent like Tavares with even a competent team around him.

His head coaching hires seem to have been awful- Nolan, Capuano, Gordon and Weight- yuck. And free agents signings pretty underwhelming as well.

I imagine some Islanders fan will point out to a lot of individual deals or signings that worked out to make an argument for him as a good GM but I think if you look at him having 10+ years as a GM with Tavares there for ~9 of those years that is more than enough time to put your stamp on the team and during that time they have never once been close to a contender. I think they best they have finished is 3rd in their division with 1 season of 100 points. As mentioned 2 trips to the 2nd round, no CF, no SCF.

To me that just isn't close to good enough.
If that’s your standard, who would be in the top 15?

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Bottom 16.Too many swing and misses on top 5 picks; Strome, Reinhart,MDC.
If Greene and Chia did not wildly overrate Reinhart's upside,Barzal and Beau are playing in other organizations.

And Snow has shown a bad tendency to overpay on ufa contracts/ extensions : Boychuk,Ladd,Clutterbuck.
Yeah, well, he turned his bad picks into great assets.. you could say if all you want, but it doesn’t mean he didn’t get great value for his picks.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
probably middle of the pack; people tend to forget the team he inherited. Our top line was Mike Comrie; Ruslan Fedotenko; and Bill Guerin when he inherited the team. The only notable prospect being Kyle Okposo. A team with that foundation doesnt get turned around overnight.

Good Moves
Ebs for Strome
Reinhart for Barzal and Beauvillier (essentially)

Leddy
Boychuk
1st rnder for Campoli
Tavares 1st contract
Hamonic contract
Streit contract
Okposo contract

Bad Moves
Vanek for Moulson + 1st
Smyth for 3 1st rounders essentially (though not 1 of them panned out)
Nino for Clutterbuck
Ladd contract
Grabo contract

Im sure there are other things Im missing; but I also think Garth waited too long to acquire our needs such as someone to ride shotgun with Tavares; a legit dman until we got Leddy/Boychuk, a starting goalie until the trade for Halak. I think what irritates some Isles fans is his lack of urgency, which isn't always a bad thing in negotiations.

Everyone also giving him flack about the Josh Bailey pick are delusional in expectations of a 9th overall pick. He may not be a superstar but at this point he is a 55-60 pt winger with solid 2 way play. In hindsight everyone criticizing this pick would also give him flack about passing up on studs such as Filatov and Schenn am I right?

Those were great trades, but there's something to be said about him using those high draft picks on those players (Reinhart and Strome)...

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
And somewhere on par with the rest. A lot of the GMs like Rob Blake, Jason Botteril and Ron Francis has had too short careers to say much about. Can't someone of all you nerds on this forum put together a script to rank the general managers?

Was done, at least for sure on the last iteration of the forum.
He was horribly underrated.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Recently he's been good. He robbed Alberta of 3 good draft picks and eberle for hamonic and strome and he robbed the 2013 scf teams of 2 good defensemen in leddy and boychuk.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Those were great trades, but there's something to be said about him using those high draft picks on those players (Reinhart and Strome)...
He turned Reinhart and strome into Barzal, Beauvillier, and Eberle. That’s more value for those picks than had most players taken at those spots. Snow is better than most people give him credit for.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
The thing about rating GMs is that they are not all on equal footing as far as ownership goes. Snow had to work with an internal budget under Wang from as I remember them being a cap floor team for a few years. Snow is top half in my opinion because he’s been able to salvage value for his mistakes and has made some very good trades. How he deals with Tavares will make or break him in my opinion.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The thing about rating GMs is that they are not all on equal footing as far as ownership goes. Snow had to work with an internal budget under Wang from as I remember them being a cap floor team for a few years. Snow is top half in my opinion because he’s been able to salvage value for his mistakes and has made some very good trades. How he deals with Tavares will make or break him in my opinion.
Even with the make or break on JT, that's on the arena which is politicians and owners and not Snow. Snow kept Nino in due to ownership issues on wanting to keep the 3.25 cap hit for the 925k salary. Tim Thomas was also a deal for floor purposes.

Guy didn't have it easy.

Then we when he could spend he has made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years and team is off to a great start this year. If it holds through that would be 4 out of 5. Plus a round won in that which could be better of course. Oh and the one year they missed the team was in it until the last day, one point out of the playoffs.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
“Cap floor” is not a phrase. “Salary Cap” or “Salary floor”.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Not saying either way, but people really forget how handcuffed he was when Charles Wang was owner. Trying building a team when the owner was asking you to acquire injured players with huge cap hits just so the team can make the salary floor.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Not saying either way, but people really forget how handcuffed he was when Charles Wang was owner. Trying building a team when the owner was asking you to acquire injured players with huge cap hits just so the team can make the salary floor.

I thought it was well known that Wang was a controlling owner. I'd make the argument that even though Snow was handcuffed in his situation for several years, the Islanders organization is probably the only market in the league that would allow him to survive as long as he has. Snow knew the situation he was in with Wang as the owner and was able to stick around because he could operate according to what the owner expected of him. It's actually wild how long he's been a GM( since 2006) with 4 playoff appearances in 11 seasons (excluding this season) and only making it to the second round once.

That track record with a John Tavares on your team for 8 of those seasons would spell the end for a lot of people. I'd put him in the bottom 15 because the people hired before him (Holland, Wilson, and Poile) have all found more success than he has and most GM's that have been around long enough to put their stamp on their respective teams have found more success as well.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember when he played, and always thought he was an awful goalie. Now, I think I can say he might actually be a worse GM than he was a goalie. As a fan of a rival team, I am very glad that he still exists as a GM, and am hoping that he continues to be the GM. Let's be serious though, he's one of the longest tenured GM's in the league with their current team.

Every GM that's tenure predates his, has at least been to cup final in their tenure. Wilson and Poile have both only did so in the last two playoffs, and both of them predate his tenure with their respective teams, but they've won one playoff series since he's been their GM and it came 10 years after he was hired! He was on the job for 10 years before winning a playoff series. To get to the current second longest tenured GM, with as little or less playoff success as him, you have to move up to a 2011 hire in Kevin Chevaldayoff. The 5 GM's hired between Snow and Chevaldayoff, have all won multiple playoff series over their tenure.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
He turned Reinhart and strome into Barzal, Beauvillier, and Eberle. That’s more value for those picks than had most players taken at those spots. Snow is better than most people give him credit for.

Exactly. All GMs make mistakes, but some of them are very good at maneuvering their teams out of it. Garth Snow has got to be one of the best at doing that. Making lemonade out of lemons. Yes, it does help that he had a trade partner in Chiarelli. He doesn't have a crystal ball to figure out which draft picks will pan out- not many do, but through it all he's found too many diamonds in the rough ie. Lee, Hamonic, Nelson, or resurrected certain player's careers that other teams simply rejected ie. Grabner, Mark Streit, Moulson, Parenteau, Hickey etc. In 2007 he made it very clear that his goal was to build the team through the draft. https://thehockeywriters.com/garth-snow-the-nhls-most-underrated-gm/. If you look at today's team, this is exactly the product of his vision. The vision was a solid one and his not only made this franchise stronger in the present, but all signs point to the Islanders being in a strong place for many years to come. They have two first round picks in a strong NHL draft next year alone plus a plethora of young players being developed in the minors as we speak. Meanwhile he has acquired and developed the core of this team with patient diligence through the draft, Lee, Bailey, Tavares, Barzal, Ho-Sang, Nelson, Beauvillier, Cizikas, Pulock, Pelech, De Haan, Mayfield- and before them Nilsson and Martin- those are all homegrown talents folks. Those were all players who were key to Snow's vision. To think the condition of this club 10 years ago, we had nothing, no future, no talent in the minors, no star players wanting to play here and in just one decade Snow has completely turned this franchise around and stabilized it for the long term. I told our fans over he summer that our offense will one of the best Islander's offenses we had seen in decades- just by looking at the quality of prospects Snow was injecting into the line-up. You would have to be blind not to see it, but it was clear this was going to be another break out year for the Islanders and one that was building on their previous successes over the past 5 years or so, but certain members of every fanbase like to find the absolute worse in their teams and often times they are the ones who shout the loudest on these boards. If you like anything about today's Islanders you have to give Garth Snow credit for sticking to his guns.

That article I quoted above was from 2013 and it is still clear to me that he continues to be one of the most underrated GMS in the league.

Last edited:

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
He does alot of bad, but i cant say hes bottom 3 based solely on this:

He turned Ville Pokka, Anders Nillson, Strome, and Reinhart into, Eberle, Leddy, Barzal, Beauvillier. Id bet theres not many GMs that could pull that off. Id say hes around the 17-22 range

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The 3 goalie thing last year still drives me up a friggin' wall. He was a goalie, he should know how they are wired!

All in all, somewhere in the middle. His trades, late round drafting and contract decisions balance out the early round draft misses and cold feet on trading prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad