Garth Snow: Top 15 (16) or bottom 15 (16) GM in the NHL?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Made the playoffs 4 out of last 6 years. I'd say middle of the pack type.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He's been GM of the Islanders for a while now. In his tenure, he has had some highway robbery trades, some bad trades, some homerun draft picks, some terrible draft picks, some amazing contracts, some bad contracts..

In your opinion, is Garth Snow a better than average GM? Or is he a worse than average GM? Explain why.
Bottom 16.Too many swing and misses on top 5 picks; Strome, Reinhart,MDC.
If Greene and Chia did not wildly overrate Reinhart's upside,Barzal and Beau are playing in other organizations.

And Snow has shown a bad tendency to overpay on ufa contracts/ extensions : Boychuk,Ladd,Clutterbuck.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Bottom 5 in my view.

He, like many mediocre GMs, has had some hits and misses in the draft. I am not sure if it is a good thing or bad thing that misses seem to come from the high picks (reinhart, mdc, strome, Bailey) while he has had some good success with later picks (Hamonic, Nelson).

Just wanted to nitpick the draft part.

Bailey is going to play 1,000 nhl games in this league if he stays healthy. You sign up for that all day with a first round pick. while he hasn’t been an all star he’s been a steady part of the islanders for a long time and has been really good the last couple of years.

He also Drafted Anders Lee And Cizikas.

Not defending him one way or the other but just wanted to pick his part out.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Utter bullshit to claim that Bailey was a bad pick at the spot he was picked. Fans were pissed for years about that but Bailey is finally showing them why they are wrong about it.

Snow has:
won trades for: Eberle (Strome), Leddy (Pokka), Boychuk (two seconds), Barzal (Reinhart).

lost trades for: Vanek (Moulson, picks), Niederreiter (Clutterbuck and a third), Hamonic (several picks but could probably have had Hall instead).

missed on high picks like Strome and Reinhart (both traded for great returns) and MDC but scored some great value in Cizikas and Lee.

The biggest mistake he has made imo is to suport Jack Capuano for such a long time. I think he's in the upper half quiet easily.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
eh. he's not as bad as people make him out to be. besides the nino trade he hasn't really made bad trades, and all of his draft picks have been safe despite some of the top 5 guys busting. obviously i would've liked to see a contending team a couple years ago, but the team that's on the ice this season is very good so i'm not going to complain right now. overall he's been mediocre.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
He’s pretty shitty. 1 playoff series win his entire tenure, more seasons out of the playoffs then in. I really don’t understand how anyone can claim the guy is a good GM. He should have been fired years ago. But I guess that’s a perk of being buddy buddy with the owner?

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I've personally always defended Garth because I love the identity of the team he built. But the others have a point. We havent really won much under him. But I honestly believe he's been so patient building this team right and I feel like its starting to pay off. If this team goes far this year, this isn't going to be a one hit wonder team. This is a team thats going to continously compete for the next decade with the youth they have (and assuming Tavares stays).

You got it. There are people who just don’t understand how things work in this world and as much as you try to explain it to them they just stubbornly refuse to acknowledge it. I’ve watched this team win 4 Stanley Cups in a row was 15 when they won their last. I wouldn’t say Garth Snow is the best GM in the league but he was certainly the best GM we had since Bill Torrey. Garth Snows greatest attributes are his patience and loyalty which have both hurt him (Capuano) and ultimately helped him (the current team). He’s shown amazing patience with certain players he drafted (Bailey) and shows a great eye for talent and finding diamonds in the rough (Lee, Hamonic). He’s also shown a great propensity for turning a potentially bad situation into a good one. Clutterbuck for Nino, Hamonic for 1st rounders second rounders, Reinhart and lost pick for Vanek into Barzal, Beaullvier etc. Hes doing a marvelous job.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
he's terrible. the isles have gone decades now without much success. and after a decade under him, they don't seem ready for much more than a playoff berth. they're not a contender and i don't really see much that's going to make them one soon.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
So far, he has only made it to the 2nd Round as a GM, and that has a massive * because the refs screwed the Panthers. He's like David Poile before Nashville made the Cup randomly.

Refs missed a call immediately after they miss an even more egregious one on the islanders (the only reason the puck was in the defensive zone was because Martin got blatantly tripped) in game 6 and that's a gift? Ok

I like Garth. I like patience in a gm. I don't like to see 50% of a roster turnover year after year. Even the trades he's lost, such as the nino trade, he's gotten some value (I mean clutterbuck will end up playing over 500 games for the team).

The next year still be huge for him and his legacy. He's built a good team that can do some damage in the playoffs, so let's see if they can. Also a lot of decisions and contracts need to be handed out these next 9 months or so.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
probably middle of the pack; people tend to forget the team he inherited. Our top line was Mike Comrie; Ruslan Fedotenko; and Bill Guerin when he inherited the team. The only notable prospect being Kyle Okposo. A team with that foundation doesnt get turned around overnight.

Good Moves
Ebs for Strome
Reinhart for Barzal and Beauvillier (essentially)
Leddy
Boychuk
1st rnder for Campoli
Tavares 1st contract
Hamonic contract
Streit contract
Okposo contract

Bad Moves
Vanek for Moulson + 1st
Smyth for 3 1st rounders essentially (though not 1 of them panned out)
Nino for Clutterbuck
Ladd contract
Grabo contract

Im sure there are other things Im missing; but I also think Garth waited too long to acquire our needs such as someone to ride shotgun with Tavares; a legit dman until we got Leddy/Boychuk, a starting goalie until the trade for Halak. I think what irritates some Isles fans is his lack of urgency, which isn't always a bad thing in negotiations.

Everyone also giving him flack about the Josh Bailey pick are delusional in expectations of a 9th overall pick. He may not be a superstar but at this point he is a 55-60 pt winger with solid 2 way play. In hindsight everyone criticizing this pick would also give him flack about passing up on studs such as Filatov and Schenn am I right?

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
So far, he has only made it to the 2nd Round as a GM, and that has a massive * because the refs screwed the Panthers. He's like David Poile before Nashville made the Cup randomly.

Hmmm that’s weird... i haven’t noticed an asterisk when looking at that series win anywhere. Gtfo :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad