Rumor: [Garrioch] Toronto "Kicking Tires" on Tyler Myers

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
If there's enough salary going the other way from the Canucks, it would really be a 'no lose' trade for the Leafs.

For example, Kerfoot going to the Canucks with some sort of retention of Myers salary, and it becomes a 'net zero' impact on the salary cap for the Buds.

Myers is a big, right shot d-man who might help in the present,....but at the very worst, he'd be trade bait next season in the last year of his contract.
I think that's a perspective looking through very Rose coloured glasses. Not necessarily wrong, just incredibly risky. Myers at 3 million might have some value, but then again, that's got to be based on him finding his game again.
As I shared in another post, a guy like Burroughs is a fraction of that price and is playing at a much better level. There are better no name players out there that come with little risk.

If TO can dump Kerfoot and pickup Myers retained, it does mitigate some of the concerns, but then you're another in a long line of GMs gambling on his upside. He's not dissimilar to Gudbranson; so much risk with a tiny chance of reward.

Personally, I'd look elsewhere.

Garrioch doesn't know his head from his ass.
I don't know man, you don't get that heavy being confused about which end the food goes in.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I doubt Toronto is that interested

This reeks of the Canucks pushing hard to move him, and some teams such as the Leafs doing some due diligence

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah yeah. When you take the emotion out of it, he would be fine on a team for some depth. Vancouver isn't the only team in the league with a light backend.

He's making 6 million. Not 8 or 10.

That's still probably a little much, not a deal killer because you can retain money, send back a contract there are ways to do it but it's a significant amount of money.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This can’t be true.
I know Dubas has done some questionable moves like Murray.

But Myers SUCKS. He is so bad
Canuck fans expecting for anything more than Future considerations is insane.

Future considerations would be a win for Vancouver

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I doubt Toronto is that interested

This reeks of the Canucks pushing hard to move him, and some teams such as the Leafs doing some due diligence
Im pretty sure everyone knows that he's not capable of being a top pair Dman. But anyone with some sense also knows he's some insurance for 2nd or 3rd pairing on cup window team. With injuries. Like..... Toronto

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like is the first time i've seen anyone in the media link Myers to anywhere that isn't the Islanders.

Seems totally out of left field. It doesn't really make sense to me with Toronto. Seems like it'd be a mess to make it work cap-wise. But with retention i guess it could fit and their blueline has injuries. It also feels like the sort of "bargain hunting" move Dubas would attempt. Especially with fairly limited liquid trade capital left, staring down the barrel of getting canned if they don't get something done this season.

Same mentality that led him to take gambles on "cheap" to acquire goaltending like Matt Murray. Trying to "outsmart" the market (which is admittedly bonkers for RHD with size)...but really only outsmarting himself.

You could probably play Myers on a second pair with a smart veteran like Giordano and there's a chance it wouldn't be a complete disaster.

But also, when is Garrioch right about anything? Much less anything out of Toronto where he seems arguably even less connected than he is in Ottawa.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
myers is a real minute muncher and he has snarl and he has unbelievable speed for his size and he’s so big and he’s a real crease clearer and the leafs are gonna be so happy with him and he’s a top rhd pmd dmd

Reactions: oceanchild

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Im pretty sure everyone knows that he's not capable of being a top pair Dman. But anyone with some sense also knows he's some insurance for 2nd or 3rd pairing on cup window team. With injuries. Like..... Toronto
Thats what Jordie Benn is for. They're not paying Myers $3-6 million for 2 years for that

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Not my fault you made a ridiculous statement that's your fault
What are you even talking about? There is nothing ridiculous about it.

This was his post:

No one is paying Myers $12 million for that role, when Benn has been doing it. What is the ridiculous part besides your lack of reading comprehension?

Reactions: quat

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Given the recent rumours that the Leafs have inqiured about Tyler Myers, and given that I do believe that Leafs have inqiured about Tyler Myers considering the injury to Jake Muzzin and to a lesser extent TJ Brodie.

I have decided we should have a conversation about what that would look like.

I personally don't think a trade with any team happns without either money going back or money being retained.

I think regardless of where he goes one of those 2 things happns.

One of the players I could see in a potential trade is Justin Holl because he's an expiring that Vancouver could flip for extra assets.

I'm not suggesting he is enough I don't believe he is I just think If Tyler Myers did end up in Toronto Justin Holl is a likely candidate to be part of a trade.

I don't know what else goes back though

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
Given the recent rumours that the Leafs have inqiured about Tyler Myers, and given that I do believe that Leafs have inqiured about Tyler Myers considering the injury to Jake Muzzin and to a lesser extent TJ Brodie.

I have decided we should have a conversation about what that would look like.

I personally don't think a trade with any team happns without either money going back or money being retained.

I think regardless of where he goes one of those 2 things happns.

One of the players I could see in a potential trade is Justin Holl because he's an expiring that Vancouver could flip for extra assets.

I'm not suggesting he is enough I don't believe he is I just think If Tyler Myers did end up in Toronto Justin Holl is a likely candidate to be part of a trade.

I don't know what else goes back though
Holl and a 3rd for Myers at 2 million retained?

Reactions: Tarmore

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Holl's salary would not be enough to fit Myers even with 50% retention but Vancouver. Yes the Leafs can demote players to fit under the cap. A Myers to Toronto would need to look more like this.
Holl,Engvall, 3rd and a prospect like SDA/Abruzzese and retention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad