Rumor: [Garrioch] Toronto "Kicking Tires" on Tyler Myers

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
What an awful take. Holl has ugly moments but he's been playing top 4 minutes for a top 10 defensive team in the league for 2 seasons now. I'm not saying he coming to a team and carrying a 2nd pair, but he is far better than "throw away bottom pairing" D. If nothing else he is a solid bottom pairing guy at worst.
So it's mere coincidence that he's in every Leafs proposal, whether or not a replacement RHD is coming back? Even a replacement that is a worse player according to this thread? If he's such a great top four D man, why is a top four RHD on every Leafs fans trade list? Finally, even on a mess of a Canucks blue line, what specifically does he bring that would make him head and shoulders above Myers? Or if he's moved out, Schenn? Bear? Burroughs? Poolman? Because these latter four are being used in a top four role presently, with Schenn being the only one to keep his head above water for any length of time. Every game I've watched, every Leafs fan I've talked to, every highlight reel featuring the Leafs, would have Holl in the distinctive company of these dime a dozen bottom pairing D.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I don't think the Leafs would be adding another defensemen unless it was somebody to play big minutes. Myers would be brutal in that role...

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So it's mere coincidence that he's in every Leafs proposal, whether or not a replacement RHD is coming back? Even a replacement that is a worse player according to this thread? If he's such a great top four D man, why is a top four RHD on every Leafs fans trade list? Finally, even on a mess of a Canucks blue line, what specifically does he bring that would make him head and shoulders above Myers? Or if he's moved out, Schenn? Bear? Burroughs? Poolman? Because these latter four are being used in a top four role presently, with Schenn being the only one to keep his head above water for any length of time. Every game I've watched, every Leafs fan I've talked to, every highlight reel featuring the Leafs, would have Holl in the distinctive company of these dime a dozen bottom pairing D.

Same reason you see Kerfoot. The Leafs cap structure has big salary which isn't moving, and lots of league min deals which we need. So to make the cap work usually our 2-4M pieces get offered to make that work.

To answer your question, Holl is unquestionably an elite penalty killer. He'd be a massive upgrade on any of those names. You seem to think I am suggesting the Canucks want Holl, I marly had an issue with calling him essentially an AHLer. An AHler doesn't get the results he has in the minutes he has for 3 seasons

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I am not a Myers fan but its laughable seeing all the laff fans say he is brutal...Myers can play hockey and has played decent in the PLAYOFFS, DON'T the laffs NEED a player capable of that come April!?!?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I am not a Myers fan but its laughable seeing all the laff fans say he is brutal...Myers can play hockey and has played decent in the PLAYOFFS, DON'T the laffs NEED a player capable of that come April!?!?

What they need is a goalie who can make a clutch save and a player who can score a clutch goal

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
No, but that retention oughta be.
Sorry, but Vancouver is not going to get assets for retaining on Myers. That is not how retention works.

a) If a player is worth his salary or more than his salary, then his team may choose to retain salary to get additional compensation for the retention (plus whatever assets they receive for the value of the player).

b) If the player is not worth his salary, then his team may choose to retain the amount required to bring his contract value to his actual worth. There is no compensation for this retention, but the acquiring team would offer assets equivalent in value to the worth of the player.

c) Or, if a player is not worth his salary, his team may choose to trade him, plus a sweetener, with no salary retention.

Myers can play on a bottom pairing, but does any serious hockey fan believe that he is worth $6 million a year? The Canucks can choose between options b) or c), or can choose option d), keeping Myers.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Myers is like Gudbranson, or Schenn. An big overpaid plug, who still has value in dinosaur GM's minds.

Like those mentioned above, once his big deal ends, and he becomes a 1 Mill 6/7 D man on your roster you'll love him.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Myers is like Gudbranson, or Schenn. An big overpaid plug, who still has value in dinosaur GM's minds.

Like those mentioned above, once his big deal ends, and he becomes a 1 Mill 6/7 D man on your roster you'll love him.
WTF is this? Gudbranson, sure. But Schenn? Schenn has been good, and plays well above his near-minimum salary.

How dare you.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Schenn is making less than a 1 million and is 1/2 of a pairing that was one of the leagues best shut down pairings… he’s nothing like Gudbranson and Myers

Nov 1, 2011
Myers @ 50% retained for Engvall + 7th

This is getting rediculous.

Myers actually plays the most minutes on the Canucks RD. He's misused but was very good last year and is good in the playoffs (when things clutch and grab gets let go). He's also a + player on a team that has a huge -.

Don't want him, just say so but stop with the insulting offers.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Myers actually plays the most minutes on the Canucks RD. He's misused but was very good last year and is good in the playoffs (when things clutch and grab gets let go). He's also a + player on a team that has a huge -.

I'd take him and I'd probably prefer to move someone other than Engvall, but would also be open to prospects and higher picks.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012

Myers at 50% retained is maybe worth a 3rd and decent prospect. He is a 3 million dollar player being paid double what he should be. The retention gets him down to a normal salary that reflects a decent number 5 defenseman. The cost of a number 5 D is a 3rd and decent prospect.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I think he get's pretty underrated around here, but that 2nd year on his deal makes this very unlikely I feel like.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think he get's pretty underrated around here, but that 2nd year on his deal makes this very unlikely I feel like.
The 2nd year likely makes him more valuable as he's paid only $1M in real cash then is immediately off the books. Any competitive team with significant cap space can add him while spending almost nothing.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
The 2nd year likely makes him more valuable as he's paid only $1M in real cash then is immediately off the books. Any competitive team with significant cap space can add him while spending almost nothing.
I meant in the context of this thread - Toronto and Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad