Rumor: [Garrioch] Toronto "Kicking Tires" on Tyler Myers

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn't consider Dubas to be in a strong negotiating position. Being lame duck, you wonder if he even has the power to give up 1sts. Wheels might come flying off much sooner than expected for the Leafs.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Unless there's at least some amount of retention, seems to be too much coming from Toronto IMO.
I’d only consider a small retention on Myers - otherwise I’d move on because he would probably be moveable somewhere at full contract at some point.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Can we expect a Muzzin-type player but better puck and skating skills? The name only sounds familiar because he was a big name in Buffalo. How well does he break up plays along the boards? Is he physical on the ice (especially along the boards)? And can he make a decent first pass?

He does have a M-NTC so not sure if Toronto is even an option but I like he has 1 year after this one on contract.

Nov 1, 2011
I’d only consider a small retention on Myers - otherwise I’d move on because he would probably be moveable somewhere at full contract at some point.

Myers + 3rd for Kerfoot + Holl (or some other dump) + 1st

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
It's a fun juxtaposition with delusional nucks fans trying to convince people hes worth a first round pick and the realist nucks fans praying to god he gets traded to T.O. (so they can laugh at them, because hes terrible).

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Can we expect a Muzzin-type player but better puck and skating skills? The name only sounds familiar because he was a big name in Buffalo. How well does he break up plays along the boards? Is he physical on the ice (especially along the boards)? And can he make a decent first pass?

He does have a M-NTC so not sure if Toronto is even an option but I like he has 1 year after this one on contract.
I feel like I've seen plenty of Myers over the years and I wouldn't consider him physical, especially for his size. Nothing like Muzzin.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
It's a fun juxtaposition with delusional nucks fans trying to convince people hes worth a first round pick and the realist nucks fans praying to god he gets traded to T.O. (so they can laugh at them, because hes terrible).
Not really top 4 Dman tend to go for a 2nd and a prospect. Add in the fact Myers is RH a 1st (probably not in 2023) isnt out of the question

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the Canucks, so Tyler Myers might be able to still get back to some of his 2018 playoff form with the Jets, where he was at times our best defenseman.

If you're Toronto I think you at least need the retention to get under what Muzzin's contract is, since the Leafs started the season with a 20 player roster with Muzzin on it, unable to recall anyone, tight to the Cap. 25% retention probably puts the Leafs in a position where they can manoeuvre an extra player onto the roster, maybe even 2, so that they don't have to play musical LTIR like last season.

Obviously an NHL player would have to go back to get the Leafs from going over 50 contracts. No idea what fits both teams needs.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I've said it before and I'll say it again, everyone on this whole entire forum knows that if Myers moves, it's with some level of retention, for some level of pick and it's an underwhelming trade for all involved.

However I believe in my whole heart, with every part of my soul that one of the requirements for being named an NHL GM is that you must have reconstructive surgery on your brain that hard wires into you the idea that "Big", "Right handed", and "Defensemen" are the most valuable words on the earth and that you must overpay when all are used in the same sentence. What does overlay look like? Argue away, but these are my firm found beliefs

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I never understand why statements like this from a reporter even get much discussion. After the Muzzin injury (and possibly before), the Leafs would obviously be looking at the possibility of acquiring an NHL defenseman. So, wouldn't they kicking the tires on virtually every NHL defenseman that might possibly be available. That is, they'd find who is available and at what cost, then narrow down the list weighing what each player brings and what their cost wuld be. So, a reporting saying that the Leafs are kicking the tires on any NHL defenseman should be expected. In fact, I think, hearing that the Leafs weren't showing any interest in an available NHL defenseman would be far more worthy of discussion.

But that's just me.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Myers could really solidify that top RD spot for the Leafs this year and next year. And I think the Canucks could probably retain to return the value:

To Toronto: Myers (20% retained), 2025 7th round pick

To Vancouver: 2023 2nd, 2024 2nd, Engvall

Nov 1, 2011
Myers could really solidify that top RD spot for the Leafs this year and next year. And I think the Canucks could probably retain to return the value:

To Toronto: Myers (20% retained), 2025 7th round pick

To Vancouver: 2023 2nd, 2024 2nd, Engvall

Change the two 2nds to the 2023 1st.

If need be, upgrade the Canucks pick to adjust for value.

Reactions: M2Beezy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad