Rumor: [Garrioch] Toronto "Kicking Tires" on Tyler Myers

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
A contract and a pick

more specific please... juts trying to see if its worth it to move Myers this year.

because like i mentioned, if the Canucks wait 1 year when his contract is expiring, Myers can definitely get a 2nd round return maybe even a first. at the trade deadline.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Murray is crap and I’m ridding that from Toronto’s cap crunch, and the leafs will never win without someone like Horvat. The team is softer than butter in the sun and is built to fail.
Don't need horvat, we need a 3c who isn't going to cost 8 million to retain. Also I'd worry about your own team before making fun of other teams better then the one you cheer for.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Defence has been a issue for Toronto for a long time they keep trying to patch it up they wasted the core time by not addressing the real issue and find a permanent resolution… Myers is one of the worst Dman in the league he had a good rookie season and feel of a cliff… getting a D is the right call but Myers the wrong player he will only make thing worst + is cap hit…

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
What if Tyler Myers is Toronto's answer to get passed the first round ?
He's seen more 2nd rounds than most Leafs have.

Defence has been a issue for Toronto for a long time they keep trying to patch it up they wasted the core time by not addressing the real issue and find a permanent resolution… Myers is one of the worst Dman in the league he had a good rookie season and feel of a cliff… getting a D is the right call but Myers the wrong player he will only make thing worst + is cap hit…
And this is why he is perfect for Toronto...

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Each of those words individually seem like words, but they just look so weird when you put them in that order.
I think if I'm not mistaken the goal here is to get their own poor man's version of Chara in Myers and one of Bergeron in ROR. In doing so the Leafs will be emulating some of the great past Bruins teams in an effort to soak in some of that playoff success.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
As a leafs fan, I don't hate this.
If this were to happen, Vancouver would have to retain 2.5-3 Million
Thats not happening. Myers plays second pairing RHD, if he's moved the Canucks need a replacement on an already weak D core. There is very little chance they can replace Myers for under $3 million meaning the Canucks would have no cap savings. So logically this is a non-starter.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Yep that’s their job, yep and some of it are clicks, but also has to have some reality to it.
That’s why you need to listen to what they say, like Freidman is notorious for I believe, I think, as opposed to I’m hearing.
So parse their words carefully, because there is crap in there.

If you think Freidman is going to say, yep the Leafs assistant GM told me Marner might be on the move to Pittsburg, that’s also dreamland, they won’t give up sources, just listen to wording carefully, should make you happier.

Completely agree. Take them at their word, which isn’t gospel. And they don’t pretend it is.

But some people think they’re owed proof when it’s up to them to believe or not. It really doesn’t matter.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Perhaps a Murry like trade.

Send Myers, retain, and a pick for a lower pick.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
They’ve been shopped for a year. Vancouver press has been leading the charge.

But some Sportsnet guys dumped some cold water on the roster this week saying no one wants Boeser, Garland, Myers or the like. That the market hadn’t been receptive to Vancouver’s calls around the league trying to dump their players.
Which of "their media" are you talking about? Vancouver press?
This thread is specifically about something Bruce Garrioch said. He's not "Vancouver press". Here to help: https://ca.linkedin.com/in/bruce-garrioch-679808187

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd do the deal, depending on the pick obviously, for 25% retention on Myers

Kerfoot can go at the deadline or be a very short stopgap if/when Horvat is dealt
If we retain a quarter of Myers, that amount was still a second and a lesser cap dump back for us to dump for us to move this year. This deal is still insultingly low.

Kerfoot is still useless as a stop gap too, as we have other, better forwards. Kerfoot is a straight up 3.5 million dollar cap dump for the rest of the season for us. There are teams out there that could use a top nine forward, but it isn't us.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I'm not saying there isn't a market for Myers. There is a market for Myers. He's only effective on a bottom pairing and he's far too expensive for that role. Burroughs on the Canucks is a better fit for that role and is not much more than league minimum. Only poor GMs will target Myers. They'll see his upside (which admittedly is there at times) and plan on him being more than he is.

The Leafs need to avoid Myers like the plague.

Reactions: ohnoeszz

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Thats not happening. Myers plays second pairing RHD, if he's moved the Canucks need a replacement on an already weak D core. There is very little chance they can replace Myers for under $3 million meaning the Canucks would have no cap savings. So logically this is a non-starter.

Then It's not happening with the Leafs, You'd have to find another suitor who would take the bulk of that egregious contract.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Then It's not happening with the Leafs, You'd have to find another suitor who would take the bulk of that egregious contract.
Sure, thats a lot better than doubling down on a bad contract by making it even worse

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have incompetent management if you trade for Tyler Myers. That is all.
If there's enough salary going the other way from the Canucks, it would really be a 'no lose' trade for the Leafs.

For example, Kerfoot going to the Canucks with some sort of retention of Myers salary, and it becomes a 'net zero' impact on the salary cap for the Buds.

Myers is a big, right shot d-man who might help in the present,....but at the very worst, he'd be trade bait next season in the last year of his contract.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I think if I'm not mistaken the goal here is to get their own poor man's version of Chara in Myers and one of Bergeron in ROR. In doing so the Leafs will be emulating some of the great past Bruins teams in an effort to soak in some of that playoff success.
Ahh the Canucks very own "if you can't beat 'em, poorly emulate them" strategy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad