Rumor: [Garrioch] Cost for Pageau is 1st + prospect.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think Pageau will return a conditional pick that can become a 1st, but not a 1st outright. Maybe something similar to Zuccarello's deal last year, but maybe with a bit more value up-front (Zuc trade was 2nd + 3rd) and a little less potential value (max return for Zuc, contingent on playoff success and re-signing, was two 1sts).

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Most interesting part was that second blurb...

Is Bobrovsky hurt? Is Driedger hurt? Is Montembault hurt? Do they really need a backup goalie?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
His shooting % is almost double vie career average at 18.4% (10.6% career before this year). Playing over 19min a game with PP time, 5 PP points this year. Looks like a career year to me. He has all the opportunities in Ottawa, these numbers are inflated and I wouldn't expect the same output from a contender 3rd line. Would be careful extending him with term, he's been injured a lot and, as said above, looks like a career year... good player. If you can get a first for him you don't think twice Imo!
It's definitely a career year and he is not going to be a guy that consistently scores 30+ goals. Also, I dont think he's been injured a lot. There is only one injury that I know of and that was his achilles last year in training camp.
If I was a team high in the standings pushing for the cup who needs a 3C, I'd definitely be ok with giving up a late 1st. Pageau is a Swiss army knife type of player that can log hard shut down minutes and provide great depth for a cup run.

Reactions: bert

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Depends on semantics of ‘prospect’

A 1st a mediocre prospect/young-ish roster player, sure.

Kevin Hayes got a 1st and Brendan Lemieux last year. Pageau could definitely get a return like that.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He can be a difference maker on a team in need of a center. Pens simply don't need a center but a winger, of course. I also see many teams not giving up a 1st for a rental unless they know the pick is in the mid twenties or later.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I really think the Sens should try to re-sign Pageau. He is exactly the type of player they need moving forward - a guy that can mentor the younger players on the nuances of a 200ft game.
True but if they can get another 1st in this draft you do it. You can get an old veteran 3c leader in UFA like they did with Hainsey.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
3rd line C is a problem for the Avs. Should offer 1st and Jost to be honest.

I disagree

A young team like the Avs shouldn't be gambling on short term success by giving up long term assets

They'd be better served keeping their pick, and simply using their cap space this summer to sign a center

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
True but if they can get another 1st in this draft you do it. You can get an old veteran 3c leader in UFA like they did with Hainsey.

Pageau is hardly old. And hes more valuable than his numbers dictate.

Even more so in ottawa where he is a francophone star in a bilingual town.

I hope the sens keep him. But if he wants a larger contract than the sens are willing to offer him, then might as well get all they can for him

Reactions: lakai17

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Pageau is the best on the pk in the NHL and he is on one of the worse teams in the NHL which speaks volumes on him.

Ottawa under selling him.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm a bit surprised that the Panthers would be interested in DeMelo: isn't their need on the left side of their defense and not the right side?

Not necessarily. Obviously Ekblad is a stud, but we are short on rd prospects, and on the big club, Stralman is doing ok on the 2nd pair for now but he's aging, he might not even be top 4 quality next season. Weegar is right-handed, but he sometimes plays with Ekblad on his offside.

Imo Tallon only trades for DeMelo if he thinks he can re-sign him. There's been talk that he's interested in adding a defensive d-man that would be with the team for a few years.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Most interesting part was that second blurb...

Is Bobrovsky hurt? Is Driedger hurt? Is Montembault hurt? Do they really need a backup goalie?

Driedger is hurt but he's expected back in another week or so. But he's a rookie, I think Tallon is just trying to shore up the depth for the stretch run.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Why I think Matt Murray for Pageau would be a good trade, maybe if they took Galchenyuk or Bjugstad with Murray in order to make sure Pittsburgh has cap space.

It would be a terrible trade for Sens. No interest in Murray or any goalie at all. In fact we are trying to get rid of a damn goalie lol.

Edit: Perhaps not terrible value wise. It just makes no sence for the Sens to take another goalie that's not needed

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pageau is the kind of guy who GMs value more than fans. He's a centre and selke-calibur defensively. Great playoff resume.

I wouldn't be thrilled about my team paying that kind of price but if you're a strong offensive team and need a shut-down centre, he's as good as you're going to find.
Someone actually familiar with the player and what he brings to the table. People making the argument his value is inflated by his hot start arent understanding his true value is in his two way play and playoff pedigree of raising his game when the stakes are highest. If the team trading for him has two good centers already he is a good safety net if there is an injury and if not he can carry a third line and matchup against the oppositions best players.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Depends on semantics of ‘prospect’

A 1st a mediocre prospect/young-ish roster player, sure.

Kevin Hayes got a 1st and Brendan Lemieux last year. Pageau could definitely get a return like that.

That was a little pricey. Hayes also produced more.

If the sens get this type of return good on Dorion and the other GM shouldn't have been anywhere near hockey as they don't understand it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That was a little pricey. Hayes also produced more.

If the sens get this type of return good on Dorion and the other GM shouldn't have been anywhere near hockey as they don't understand it.
He is a way better defensive player than Hayes.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Just grabbing 3rd place teams - Lots will hate it, i dont care.

Islanders - Ho Sang + 1
Panthers - Ang + 1
Stars - Melnick (Cause it would be hilarious) + 1
Flames - Jankowski + 1

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It would be a terrible trade for Sens. No interest in Murray or any goalie at all. In fact we are trying to get rid of a damn goalie lol.

Yeah Murray to ottawa makes no sense.

I think the senators are confident running Nilsson and Hogberg next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad