Rumor: [Garrioch] Cost for Pageau is 1st + prospect.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
To me that's overpaying to get Pageau.....especially without sign and trade.

Anyone paying a 1st+good prospect for JGP as a UFA should be demanding a 72hr negotiating window w/ player from Dorion before signing on the line. He is only worth that price to most suitors if he can be extended.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
K but depending where the picks are exactly, two seconds could be much more valuable than a late first...

I don't really disagree, I personally think the return for Dzingel was much better then a first, it does help that Duke has worked out so well though. Teams are more likely to give out 2 seconds over a first for whatever reason even though 2 low seconds are statistically more likely to get an nhler then one low first. Even on this board you will see people scoff at 2 2nds and demand a first instead. There isnt any sense it worrying about where the pics are, its only playoff teams trading for these players all the picks, first or seconds, will be in the bottom half of the round.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To me that's overpaying to get Pageau.....especially without sign and trade.

Patch didn't even get a 1st. Pageau is a good player but his tires being pumped up too much by fans. It's possible a 25-31 range 1st is offered but doubt it.

However, no one can predict supply/demand at each deadline. We have been surprised before

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That's way too much. Joseph isn't a prospect, he's a 0.32ppg player in the NHL which is a 26 point average, that's a 3rd liner not some 4th line/AHL tweener number. I would do Joseph + 2nd for Pageau but not a 1st. If we did a 1st I would want the prospect to be closer to Dennis Yan level than Joseph.

Fair enough but Joseph+2020 1st is the highest I'm willing to go for just about any player because no matter what happens it's gonna be a pure rental for the Lightning.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Fair enough but Joseph+2020 1st is the highest I'm willing to go for just about any player because no matter what happens it's gonna be a pure rental for the Lightning.

If it was 1st + Joseph and the 1st wasn't conditional in any way I would like a 3rd round pick back or some sort mid round pick.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Patch didn't even get a 1st. Pageau is a good player but his tires being pumped up too much by fans. It's possible a 25-31 range 1st is offered but doubt it.

However, no one can predict supply/demand at each deadline. We have been surprised before

Errhhhh, the main piece going back to Montreal was worth more than whatever 1st rounder Ottawa will get out of Pageau (Suzuki was a year removed from being picked 13th...)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Errhhhh, the main piece going back to Montreal was worth more than whatever 1st rounder Ottawa will get out of Pageau (Suzuki was a year removed from being picked 13th...)

Exactly. It's usually a grade A (or fringe Grade A) and 2nd round pick or a mid to late 1st and grade B. But the point is Patch is worth more than Pageau (pre trade) and Patch was traded as a sign/trade as well.

Pageau might get a 1st and I don't blame the Sens for setting the price high but not so sure it happens. We will see. Like I said, supply/demand at each deadline is unpredictable in terms of price to pay

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
But he only scored two more goals in 17 games. Not exactly as you make it seem.
He was being deployed as a shutdown 3C by Boucher, and was doing pretty well at it. He got multiple Selke votes that year. Also helped shut down the Bergeron line in the first round, and did as well as any against Crosby and Malkin in Round 3.

He's a playoff player. He's worth a late 1st + meh prospect to a contender.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
People are seriously underestimating Pageau in this thread.

Paying a 1st + a good prospect is stupid for any rental.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Looks like a Seller's market if that is the price for a pure rental.

There aren't that many sellers this year.

Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey, Los Angeles, Anaheim are clear sellers, with New York, San Jose, Minnesota as possibilities.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
There aren't that many sellers this year.

Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey, Los Angeles, Anaheim are clear sellers, with New York, San Jose, Minnesota as possibilities.
The quality of those pieces isn't very good.

Pageau is a great complimentary depth guy for an already contending team. He's not going to make any team a contender though. Anyone who gives to their first for pageau, or quite frankly any of these targets is nuts. Hall was the big fish and he's already been dealt.

We've also got some hockey to play before a few more sellers arise.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
But he only scored two more goals in 17 games. Not exactly as you make it seem.

So he almost singlehandedly beat a team in one of the games in the 2nd round, as a 3rd line C, and was shutting down every team’s best players all the rest of the time while chipping in 3rd line level offence ?

Seems valuable to me...

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think some fans are truly underestimating Pageau and what he brings to a team.

He and Tkachuk are the heartbeat of the team .

Everyone is aware of his face off and pk skills but the guy can finish too.

His biggest asset is his heart , he's very intense and physical and will take on anyone in he corners. He's not a fighter but he plays with a ton of grit, passion and energy.

He's a great leader , he wears an A but is our de facto captain right now (Sens don't have one )

I'm not sure I want to trade him even if we got a first and a prospect . I really think he's that valuable .

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
People are seriously underestimating Pageau in this thread.

Paying a 1st + a good prospect is stupid for any rental.

What are you saying here? Pageau is super good, but not worth a 1st and a prospect? To me I would give up a 2nd and a journeymen prospect with some upside.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
So they're hoping to net a similar return as Taylor Hall basically... seems right

Don't see any way that happens. He's still a middle-6 tweener on most teams, and he's a UFA at seasons end. Not worth a 1st + prospect

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The quality of those pieces isn't very good.

Pageau is a great complimentary depth guy for an already contending team. He's not going to make any team a contender though. Anyone who gives to their first for pageau, or quite frankly any of these targets is nuts. Hall was the big fish and he's already been dealt.

We've also got some hockey to play before a few more sellers arise.

That's true. I'd add Montreal and Nashville as possible sellers.

Though Pageau/Kreider/Tatar/Petry/Granlund are the only big names that could be moved.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I re-read the article to make sure, it states the sens are looking for a 1st + prospect. Not a 1st and Noah Dobson, nor a 1st and Evan Bouchard.

More along the lines of a 1st is the bulk of the deal with a lesser prospect being thrown in. Which is reasonable, given what has been traded for 1st and 2nd round picks in the past.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
As a sens fan id be happy with just a 1st coming back .. but please do not resign pagger as great as hes been for our team theres a time where everyone has to move on

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Would you pay that price for Cizikas? Basically the same player.

It would be foolish to trade a first and a prospect for a third line player. Those are assets for acquiring big impact players.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Sorry but he isn’t worth a first and a prospect unless your pick is in the 25 to 31 range.

Obviously. Why would a bubble team go for Pageau?

The likeliest candidates are the top end teams looking to add a fantastic depth playoff performer to thrust them from contender to favourite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad