Value of: Gardiner Should be shopped

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
If no one wants him then thats awesome. Hopefully then we can get him a lower than market value price. Hes a great player and only improving.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I doubt that Gardiner will be a Leaf next year, but when he is HF will suddenly come around to the fact that 50 point defensemen with positive possession stats are good players. Jake isn't a perfect player, but he's pretty f***ing good at hockey and he'd be a legit #2 if he didn't have his occasional defensive gaffes. He's been playing great defensive hockey to start the year and going bar-down against the Jets tonight is well deserved. Baffling that a 50 point defenseman gets no respect from Leafs fans or anywhere else in the league.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
I doubt that Gardiner will be a Leaf next year, but when he is HF will suddenly come around to the fact that 50 point defensemen with positive possession stats are good players. Jake isn't a perfect player, but he's pretty ****ing good at hockey and he'd be a legit #2 if he didn't have his occasional defensive gaffes. He's been playing great defensive hockey to start the year and going bar-down against the Jets tonight is well deserved. Baffling that a 50 point defenseman gets no respect from Leafs fans or anywhere else in the league.
Can we just pull up posts from last year where people were saying JVR was so one dimensional that he would get 4.5 mil per season or some shit. The minute leaf players stop being leafs they suddenly get all that back credit and respect they didn't get because they played for THE MOST IMPORTANT FRANCHISE IN THE LEAGUE.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
hey guys I know someone wont like this idea but I think Dubas should be shopping gardiner or at least finding out what his value is, don't want to see him walk away for nothing just like JR or Bozak, that's not good business so I say move him for the best possible deal, wont be able to sign him anyways so it time, use the imagination mr. Dubas….
That may be true, but it's a bad idea to shop him on this board.

Reactions: Pyrophorus
Feb 24, 2017
Can we just pull up posts from last year where people were saying JVR was so one dimensional that he would get 4.5 mil per season or some ****. The minute leaf players stop being leafs they suddenly get all that back credit and respect they didn't get because they played for THE MOST IMPORTANT FRANCHISE IN THE LEAGUE.
What makes the leafs so important? If you took them out of the league the last 5 decades would still be all the same champions. Literally nothing would change. Doesn’t sound that important to me.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
What makes the leafs so important? If you took them out of the league the last 5 decades would still be all the same champions. Literally nothing would change. Doesn’t sound that important to me.

12 of your last 20 posts are about the Leafs. You should probably tell us why you think the Leafs are important.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Feb 24, 2017
For sure bro.

Btw, I'd recommend a Rielly jersey. They show that you've been a fan for a while and aren't following the trend with our forwards. It's the jersey for the fan who wants to say, "I've been around for a while and I love where the team is going"
I like Rielly. He’s a really nice looking player. I remember Brian Burke saying they would have taken him at 1 and lucked out to get him at 5. Looks like he was on to something. If I were to get a Leafs jersey though, it would probably be Marleau. I’ve seen a lot of him over his career and come to appreciate him.

Feb 24, 2017
For sure bro.

Btw, I'd recommend a Rielly jersey. They show that you've been a fan for a while and aren't following the trend with our forwards. It's the jersey for the fan who wants to say, "I've been around for a while and I love where the team is going"
I posted a bunch today in the wwe pay per view thread. Should I get a McMahon jersey?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Among the best stretch passers in the league. Superb skater. Rushes the puck well. PP quarterback. Excellent offensive instincts.

Easily muscled off the puck. Often gets lost in defensive zone coverage. Prone to bonehead plays.

With a player like Gardiner, you just accept his downside, because on balance he really is quite valuable. His departure would leave the Leafs with quite a hole to fill.

And some Leafs fans would have to find a new whipping boy.

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB
I doubt that Gardiner will be a Leaf next year, but when he is HF will suddenly come around to the fact that 50 point defensemen with positive possession stats are good players. Jake isn't a perfect player, but he's pretty ****ing good at hockey and he'd be a legit #2 if he didn't have his occasional defensive gaffes. He's been playing great defensive hockey to start the year and going bar-down against the Jets tonight is well deserved. Baffling that a 50 point defenseman gets no respect from Leafs fans or anywhere else in the league.

Remeber this is the same fan base the boo'd hall of famer Larry Murphy out of town!

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I posted a bunch today in the wwe pay per view thread. Should I get a McMahon jersey?

You should do whatever makes you happy.

Considering that you came back into a Leafs thread to tell a Leafs fan about your day, I'd guess that the Leafs are still a bigger deal to you.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Gardiner would be fine on a team that doesn't have a 43 year-old on the right side of their top pairing and then some scrub KHL plugs filling out the remainder of the right side of their D.

The offence on Toronto will take a hit when they have The Wizard of Ozhiganov and Martin Marincin trying to move the puck up instead of Gardiner if they let him walk.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Dubas addressed this exact scenario already. He said basically that it is easy to say "You didn't trade this guy and were out in the first round, you could have had XYZ for the future".

However, in practice, unless you area rebuilding team, your room believes they have a chance to win. Even still, they think they can win. Confidence and ego's are a hell of a thing.

How, as a GM, do you go into a room after telling them you want them to win a cup, and say "sorry guys but you are likely a first round team anyway so I wanted a first round pick" without killing the room?

We saw this exact thing twice in recent months. The blues moved Statsny at the deadline when the team was in a playoff spot. The players were really upset right after, and they missed the playoffs by a few points. Off to a terrible start this year.

Ottawa waived Smith even after moving Karlsson the team was still really upset to lose someone they felt was important to them.

The nature of the game is, if you get in, you have a chance to win. Rarely do the top team win it all.

So it's very easy to criticize Dubas for letting guys walk for nothing, without really understanding the impact such a move would have on the team moral. You don't want to build a culture of "there's always next year" especially in a young group or that is how you get the spinning tires rebuild.

Not only that, but you also lose the value that player brings to your team during the playoffs. You essentially weaken your team now for future assets.

So tell me, how does a GM go into the room that is on pace and would eventually break the single season points record for their over 100 year old franchise and tell them they are trading a guy who put almost 40 goals and a center which kills their depth because he doesn't think they can win? Or how you do that with Jake this year.

Like it or not, this year and last year the Leafs could have won the cup. Not to say they are or were favorites, but that they have a goalie who can steal them games and a lot of the same formula of recent winners. To say "no they won't win" and keep moving for futures is how you build a losing culture.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Gardiner would be fine on a team that doesn't have a 43 year-old on the right side of their top pairing and then some scrub KHL plugs filling out the remainder of the right side of their D.

The offence on Toronto will take a hit when they have The Wizard of Ozhiganov and Martin Marincin trying to move the puck up instead of Gardiner if they let him walk.

You are getting close to the list man. All of your posts about the Leafs are of this nature, trying to bash the players and team.

Hainsey sucks, yes he does (although he has been good lately) and shouldn't be on the top pair. No one disagrees. Gardiner however doesn't fix that issue so it is unrelated. Zaitsev has been very good this year and was excellent as a rookie. I think you should be more informed about some of these things before you post them.

In the event Gardiner leaves it hurts for sure to lose a player like that but they will be fine, just like they are fine losing Bozak and JVR. Depth replaces him and Dermott looks like a very promising top 4 D long term. They have bottom pairing D in spades and their top end of the prospect pool is all D.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think Gardiner is underrated on these boards.

There. I said it.

I agree with this, provided you look at him correctly. Hes an offensive defenseman who has his defensive warts - as most O-Dmen do. There's nothing wrong with that.

His offensive game led him to be hyped as better than he is by Toronto fans, but most others on this board can't give him the credit hes due, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad