Value of: Gardiner Should be shopped

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
If Gardiner leaves the Leafs will take a step back. He has been great the past couple of games and the majority of his career. People also forget to mention he was playing great prior to game 7.

Reactions: zaqq

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
You mean a second pairing defenseman, right? On no team is Gardiner a #2 defenseman. He's a 3/4 guy at best.

He is the Leafs #2

We will never win a thing with him in that role for us.

I'd trade his buttocks in a heartbeat, if someone out there wanted him.

So you are saying the Leafs won’t win anything this year or until they get another Dman better than Gardiner? I’m guessing you believe the Leafs need to trade one of their top forwards for a Dman then?

If the Leafs trade Gardiner for a 1st round pick and use that pick on a Dman, maybe in 5 years that player is a top 4 guy. There is no reason for the Leafs to trade Gardiner

Reactions: zaqq

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Leafs fans who dislike Gardiner aren't going to realize what hit them if he leaves. Memory/confirmation bias is a hell of a drug

LOL. Uh, no. He's terrible defensively.

Someone out there might want him for his offence.......they're welcome to him, IMO. But I won't miss his constant brain cramps. The guy is 28 years old, and is making the same mistakes he made as a 20 year old. He'll never "get it".

We'd do well to add veteran defensive guy, in lieu of him. Or two.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
So you are saying the Leafs won’t win anything this year or until they get another Dman better than Gardiner? I’m guessing you believe the Leafs need to trade one of their top forwards for a Dman then?

If the Leafs trade Gardiner for a 1st round pick and use that pick on a Dman, maybe in 5 years that player is a top 4 guy. There is no reason for the Leafs to trade Gardiner

There's LOTS of reasons for them to trade him. Like, trying to win something, for example.

They have assets they can move, to improve on Gardiner. They could trade Kadri. They could trade picks. They could trade Gardiner and a prospect.

The guy is TERRIBLE defensively. Time to move on.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He is the Leafs #2

So you are saying the Leafs won’t win anything this year or until they get another Dman better than Gardiner?
I’m guessing you believe the Leafs need to trade one of their top forwards for a Dman then?

To answer these 2 questions:
1) I don't know if he's saying that, but I definitely think that's the case.
2) Need? Maybe, maybe not. But most likely, yeah they do.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
For want of better Gardiner is a top 4D in Toronto. Unless the Leafs can swing a trade of 1 of Kadri, Marner, Kapanen or Nylander for better he'll remain that.
Any UFA better that hits the market will probably start @ $6 million while Gardiner will be 2nd tier so probably closer to $5 million. If TML offer around $4.5 during the season it makes it look like he's a priority so probably turns the trick while leaving $s for the true priorities @ forward.
It looks like the Leafs have decided to live or die by offense while using a make do defense anyway & re-signing Gardiner @ least means not down grading. He is 1 of those cases where he really is worth more to his current team than to others. If traded now consider what even a rental replacement would cost in assets near the trade deadline.
There are defense prospects in the pipeline but only the very best D are ready early. If they were they'd be on the Leafs rather than Marlies. The 1s with the most upside just started their ELCs so patience is best.

Reactions: Snowman

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You mean a second pairing defenseman, right? On no team is Gardiner a #2 defenseman. He's a 3/4 guy at best.
A 3/4 at best? Theres probably a handful of teams in the league where he isn't a #3. So yeah, I'm calling BS on your post. And I'm not even a huge fan of Gardiner.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If I'm running the Leafs, I wouldn't be willing to pay Gardiner's asking price in free-agency, so, yes, I'd be looking to move him

JVR and Bozak should've been moved last year as well

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
A 3/4 at best? Theres probably a handful of teams in the league where he isn't a #3. So yeah, I'm calling BS on your post. And I'm not even a huge fan of Gardiner.
Right, we agree. Gardiner is a second pairing defenseman in quality, not top pairing as in the post I was replying to.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Which collapse are we talking here, 2013 or 2018? Fact of the matter is Jake is a victim of the cap crunch, and he won't be as difficult to replace as some think. Certainly not worth the Shattenkirk deal he is likely to command as a UFA.

last season

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
You said 3/4 at best. At best.
Well yes. With his defensive "abilities" the less you can play him the better. So, if you can give him bottom pair minutes, you're far better off. Definitely not more than 3/4 minutes. Defensively, he simply isn't good enough for more responsibility than that. Therefore, 3/4 at best.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I’m not a leaf fan. But the fact that people attacked Gardiner for his play that game is beyond me. I remember breaking down every goal on Facebook as every single leaf fan complained about it. Two bad mistakes. But people blamed him on other goals that the forwards hung him out to dry on. Is he a good defenseman. Nope. Was it his fault that that they lost or the teams?

The fact he has a cult like following of amateur analytics hobbiests who defend him at all times kinda refutes your "every single Leafs fan" notion. And it was a hell of a lot more than Leafs fans trashing his performance, from fans of any team who watched to analyst like Bob Mackenzie, to Gardiner himself. But even more than that game 7 his penchant for costly brainfarts goes back years, and have been frustrating fans for years, it's just that in previous playoff appearances he actually upped his game significantly. "Playoffs Jake" was a Leafs fan thing that for people like me was the only silver lining to him playing in Toronto.

Any player better defensively is an improvement; 2017 Ron Hainsey > Jake Gardiner. I hope he is traded and the kind of player it would take to improve our D can be found or signed or traded for rather easily, for example Ian Cole is an upgrade, Adam McQuaid is an upgrade, often injured Zach Bogosian is an upgrade (while injured), Jake can out-skate, out-pass and out-score a bunch of D, but he cant defend in his own zone.

He's a Tyson Berrie, Kevin Shattenkirk, Shayne Goesti..Ghost-Bear type player, we need a Manson, Tanev, Pesce type to improve our D, even poor-man versions will help.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well yes. With his defensive "abilities" the less you can play him the better. So, if you can give him bottom pair minutes, you're far better off. Definitely not more than 3/4 minutes. Defensively, he simply isn't good enough for more responsibility than that. Therefore, 3/4 at best.

The post you quoted said "he is still the #2 Dman on a team competing for the cup." So which is it, he he not the Leafs 2nd best defenceman, or do you think the Leafs aren't good enough to compete for the cup? You misread the post. He didn't say he was a protoypical #2 or anything. Just he's the 2nd best defenceman on a top 5-8 ish team in the league. That's not wrong.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
hey guys I know someone wont like this idea but I think Dubas should be shopping gardiner or at least finding out what his value is, don't want to see him walk away for nothing just like JR or Bozak, that's not good business so I say move him for the best possible deal, wont be able to sign him anyways so it time, use the imagination mr. Dubas….

why don't the leafs just resign him? Leaf fans have made it clear they will have no trouble keeping all their key players

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Ask yourselves would you trust Jake g in a game 7 scenario protecting a lead ? See game 7 last year vs Bruins for reference and make your decisions.

Doesn't matter if you do or don't when you don't have someone to replace him. You can mistrust him all you want... but when you have no real options behind him (and Dermott isn't that guy yet - if ever), you either need to find said guy, or just suck it up and hope for the best.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

You don't have to like it... but he's still Toronto's 2/3D. He's probably best suited as a 3/4D... but Toronto's D isn't deep enough for that yet.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
You don't have to like it... but he's still Toronto's 2/3D. He's probably best suited as a 3/4D... but Toronto's D isn't deep enough for that yet.
Agreed. That is fine. He is a 2/3 defenseman on Toronto. I'm just saying you can't value him as an actual 2/3 defenseman as quality wise, he is a 3/4.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
He scored 50 points last season, less than 20 D men did that last season. he could probably get close to 7.

In today's game Gardiner is the type of guy you want, fast, creates offense and when he makes mistakes or someone else makes them hes a guy who can recover. Brings a net positive to the team.

Also he just buried a GTG while I was typing this so all the haters can eat shit JAKE GARDINER ELITE NHL D MAN.

Reactions: Slyfox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad