Post-Game Talk: Garbage PP costs us. Oilers lose 6-4 to Bolts

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
True, yet it was working much better last year under Nelson with the same personnel. Get it figured out.

Lander actually remembered how to play hockey under Nelson. He played a pretty big part in the PP success.

it feels like our PP has been garbage ever since Horcoff left. Don't really have that guy who gets it done infront of the net anymore.

space321

May 11, 2011
Nilsson made a bad play (risked it and lost), but those other 4 goals he barely had a chance on any of them. Don't forget he stoned tampa like point blank a few times. Hard to blame Nilsson except on that last one, even then it's kind of a crapshoot.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Jeez. The second line had a rough go.

Eberle with +3 CF and -22 CA in 15 minutes. Yikes.
Needs to learn how to win a board battle and dump the puck in at the offensive blue line. He's very frustrating to watch if he's not scoring.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
What's comical is the defence mechanism posting that goes on after the slightest suggestion that Yak could have been better on specific plays.
Yeah, I get a good chuckle out of that as well. Same gang every time too.

What else is funny is people saying "its ****ing Boyle", like that matters. Dude has been an NHLer for a long time. I'm sure he knows what to do on a breakaway. Nilsson made the wrong choice and lost the gamble, it happens. I just don't get the thinking that it would have somehow been a good play on his part if it had been Stamkos rather than Boyle.

I'd like to be happy for Kassian, but I just can't muster it up yet. I'm sure he must be extremely relieved to be playing this well, and good for him. Dude looks leaner too. Still ugly as **** though. :nod:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nilsson made a bad play (risked it and lost), but those other 4 goals he barely had a chance on any of them. Don't forget he stoned tampa like point blank a few times. Hard to blame Nilsson except on that last one, even then it's kind of a crapshoot.

A bad play? A risk? A goalies job in the NHL is to be right more than 9 times out of 10 not take on ill advised plays that are not even 50-50 gambles.

Further its a goalies job to STOP scoring chances and not to CREATE them.

From some of the comments here posters would've done the same thing Nillson did there DESPITE it being a tie game and the play not representing any risk UNTIL Nilssons brain dead cramp.

lol at the opinion he had no chance on the other 4. He caused the forth goal and was swimming in quicksand out of the play on the 2nd goal.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

What else is funny is people saying "its ****ing Boyle", like that matters. Dude has been an NHLer for a long time. I'm sure he knows what to do on a breakaway. Nilsson made the wrong choice and lost the gamble, it happens. I just don't get the thinking that it would have somehow been a good play on his part if it had been Stamkos rather than Boyle.

I'd like to be happy for Kassian, but I just can't muster it up yet. I'm sure he must be extremely relieved to be playing this well, and good for him. Dude looks leaner too. Still ugly as **** though. :nod:

Except that would not have been a breakaway. Yak was right on him and he would have at best got a bad angle shot or had to try to drive to the net past yak.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

C'mon, that goal was ALL Nillson and you and I know if it was Dubnyk making that same play we were saying the exact thing. Doesn't matter which player was back Nillson shouldn't have made that gamble.

When a play by one player is colossally stupid I have a hard time belieiving that team mates are going to clue in instantly that the brain dead play will occur. The first players job on that is to cover middle ice and prevent the attacking player from turning in. That was covered. What wasn't covered was the empty net Nillson inexplicable left open.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Except that would not have been a breakaway. Yak was right on him and he would have at best got a bad angle shot or had to try to drive to the net past yak.

Precisely. :handclap:

That was never a breakaway because the puck had too much on it and went towards the side boards. Boyle had to chase the puck thereby allowing Yak to catch up on the play.

That was not going to be a breakaway unless the puck died at middle ice. Which it clearly didn't. Nillsons job to quickly read where that puck is headed. he needed to realize there was no danger and to stay in net.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
A bad play? A risk? A goalies job in the NHL is to be right more than 9 times out of 10 not take on plays that are not even 50-50 gambles.

From some of the comments here posters would've done the same thing Nillson did there DESPITE it being a tie game and the play not representing any risk UNTIL Nilssons brain dead cramp.

lol at the opinion he had no chance on the other 4. He caused the forth goal and was swimming in quicksand out of the play on the 2nd goal.

Lol so true. Nurse having to pick up another guys man limited that shot to where it could have only been a few inches off the ice, but Nilsson over committed on the right side of the net for some reason, and made a horrible attempt to push back. Even the 3rd goal despite Purcell's awful coverage was saveable and I pretty much guarantee Talbot makes that save too. He easily takes the blame on at least 2, but probably 3 of the goals tonight, with only the first one him having no chance on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just stings how many points we have left on the table this year. Much more left than games stolen.

Calgary game on Halloween (should have gotten at least 1 point)
Calgary game where we up 3-1 with a ****ing PP with 7 minutes left in the 3rd (2 points)
First Tampa game where they scored 3 goals on themselves (should have been 2 points)
This Tampa game (should have had at least 1 point)
Florida game where they had like 8 shots after 2 periods (should have have gotten at least a point)

Probably we should have had at least 1 point from one of those first 3 games too if our PP could freaking score.

So yeah, they've blown at least 8 points this year.

Oh and should have had at least 1 point from that wonky LA game.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Somehow the words "Yak was right on him" do not inspire me with any confidence at all.

My only point is people (well, actually mostly Asuno who has posted it about twenty times in this thread now) saying "its Boyle" are dreaming. That has nothing to do with it. You just don't make that play as a goaltender no matter who it is. Dashing out of your net would be even stupider if it was Stamkos. That was a Dubnyk special. The ugly Dubnyk.

Logical McNonsense

Jul 3, 2015
Medicine Hat, AB
Calgary game on Halloween (should have gotten at least 1 point)
Calgary game where we up 3-1 with a ****ing PP with 7 minutes left in the 3rd (2 points)
First Tampa game where they scored 3 goals on themselves (should have been 2 points)
This Tampa game (should have had at least 1 point)
Florida game where they had like 8 shots after 2 periods (should have have gotten at least a point)

Probably we should have had at least 1 point from one of those first 3 games too if our PP could freaking score.

So yeah, they've blown at least 8 points this year.

Oh and should have had at least 1 point from that wonky LA game.

LA game when McDavid was Robbed? At least another point.

Coyotes game when they pissed away a two goal lead and lost in ot? Theres another one.

Couple this will all of the injuries this year it isnt so far fetched to say this team would be darn close to a play off spot, or in one right
Edit: didnt see your comment on the wacky LA game.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Its funny actually because on the one he stoned Stamkos, it was his fault for letting that puck ever get to Stamkos. He just watched it bounce of the back board or side of the net (can't remember which) out into the slot when he could have easily prevented that.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
C'mon, that goal was ALL Nillson.
Of course it was all Nilsson. I'm struggling to find anything that I typed that could be construed in any other way.
Its just ridiculous the extent of the Yak homerage on this site. People are looking to be insulted on his behalf.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Somehow the words "Yak was right on him" do not inspire me with any confidence at all.

My only point is people (well, actually mostly Asuno who has posted it about twenty times in this thread now) saying "its Boyle" are dreaming. That has nothing to do with it. You just don't make that play as a goaltender no matter who it is. Dashing out of your net would be even stupider if it was Stamkos. That was a Dubnyk special. The ugly Dubnyk.

Ok, we do agree. I was wondering there for a second. :laugh:

No critique on Boyle either. Just that he wasn't going to do much on that play except for hardnose rag the puck and kill some time. That's the nature of player he is and he's on the pk. Of course once he read that Nillson lost his mind, well, then, he'll take that goal. :laugh:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

You can make that play at times when you know you can win the race, but that was an awful time for him to do it. The funny thing is that if he didn't hesitate and then make one of the most passive attempts I have ever seen from a goaltender to actually win that race to the puck, he should have beat Boyle to it. The guy just isn't good. Really the only thing he has going for him is his size, and even that seems to open him up to the Dubnyk special of pucks sneaking through him that have no business doing so.

But that one time he didn't freeze the puck and Sekera sent Teddy on a breakaway overtime winner.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Of course it was all Nilsson. I'm struggling to find anything that I typed that could be construed in any other way.
Its just ridiculous the extent of the Yak homerage on this site. People are looking to be insulted on his behalf.

Nah, I already clued into what you were saying. Its all Nilson, agreed, just that earlier in the thread people were absolving Nillson by engaging in other blame which is plain silly when Nillson himself created the goal.

To me it doesn't matter who was back on the play. Actually on this club I welcome players being back on the play..:laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its funny actually because on the one he stoned Stamkos, it was his fault for letting that puck ever get to Stamkos. He just watched it bounce of the back board or side of the net (can't remember which) out into the slot when he could have easily prevented that.

interesting that you mention that. Because Nillsons puck tracking and rebound control is so poor that it results in him seeing about 5 extra SOG/night. Another Dubnyk trait.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
This PP needs a change, and bad.

Right now the entire entry is have 3-5 guys waiting on the blue line while one guy tries to blow by everyone, and when he gets stripped it's a mad dash to retrieve the puck, or dump it in and get beat to the puck every time.

We aren't that bad once we get a chance to start the cycle, but our entry is by far the worst it's ever been. All they have to do is pressure us on the entry and we give it up.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
interesting that you mention that. Because Nillsons puck tracking and rebound control is so poor that it results in him seeing about 5 extra SOG/night. Another Dubnyk trait.

Haha its actually kind of insulting to Dubnyk with all these comparisons from us because despite Dubnyks shortcomings, he's still a better goalie than Nilsson.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Nah, I already clued into what you were saying. Its all Nilson, agreed, just that earlier in the thread people were absolving Nillson by engaging in other blame which is plain silly when Nillson himself created the goal.

To me it doesn't matter who was back on the play. Actually on this club I welcome players being back on the play..:laugh:
Yeah absolutely. Its a credit to Yak that he was at least the first man back.
But Nilsson has got to stay in his net there. When you are struggling as a goaltender the one thing you shouldn't be doing is trying to make your job more complicated.

Its a shame to watch Nilsson struggle like this. I'm not writing him off yet, but props to you for spotting the flaws much earlier than anyone else on this board ... and as usual getting mocked for it at the time. ;)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Team blows it in the third again. Colour me shocked. You can always count on the usual Oilers critical failure at an important juncture of the game. Porous D and goaltending will haunt this team for a long time.

Chiarelli needs at least 2 top 4 defensemen to push Sekera, Nurse et al further down the lineup. Or just out of it altogether.

Hilarious that Hunt is even with the team. Baffling decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad