WC: Team Canada 2024

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I haven't kept up to date with the number of slots but thinking back, I had thought Canada had a couple of spaces still open or did I misremember? If so, I wonder why they had to send Fantilli and Celebrini home and not just keep them around for the experience?

Reactions: ORRFForever

FriarChill

Jan 31, 2023
Vienna
The WHC's ARE basically an exhibition tournament. They are played during the playoffs of the league that basically has the best 600+ players in the world...

Clearly the IIHF and participating federations do not give a shit about quality of players.

In my opinion, Canada should always use it as a place to give young guys experience and try out players for best on best tournaments.
Only 25% of the 32 teams are still playing. Mid way through the round Robin there will probably be just 4 teams left in the playoffs. Lots of great players available, but most just dont care though.
I disagree with the WHC being an exhibition tournament. All the players and executives who participate go there to win.
I thought that CAN had 3 spots left. Then they added Dubois, Paul and Hagel. No need to send Fantilli and Celebrini home (yet at least). Maybe they want to add 2 more players? Did we ever get a word on Crosby and Doughty after they said they are thinking about going? Any official statement? I guess they won't go but i think it's a bit strange that they never made a decision public

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
I haven't kept up to date with the number of slots but thinking back, I had thought Canada had a couple of spaces still open or did I misremember? If so, I wonder why they had to send Fantilli and Celebrini home and not just keep them around for the experience?
Apparently they are hoping for players who will be released after the second round of the playoff. Or they are still waiting for an answer from Crosby and Doughty.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Only 25% of the 32 teams are still playing. Mid way through the round Robin there will probably be just 4 teams left in the playoffs. Lots of great players available, but most just dont care though.
I disagree with the WHC being an exhibition tournament. All the players and executives who participate go there to win.
I thought that CAN had 3 spots left. Then they added Dubois, Paul and Hagel. No need to send Fantilli and Celebrini home (yet at least). Maybe they want to add 2 more players? Did we ever get a word on Crosby and Doughty after they said they are thinking about going? Any official statement? I guess they won't go but i think it's a bit strange that they never made a decision public
You are right that most players just don't care. It's a joke of a tournament when significant amounts of the best players may not be able to play - and specifically which ones is luck of the draw.

Wether you blame the IIHF or NHL it doesn't change the fact that is is poo.

Many euro fans say it's an important tournaments, but that's because they are used to watching sub par hockey and its a step up for them. NHL fans need a true best on best to get a higher level of hockey.

It's also almost always played outside of the two most important hockey markets prime time - f***ing amateurs.

I love hockey and will watch pretty much any game but the WHC are pretty low on my list of things to get excited about.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You are right that most players just don't care. It's a joke of a tournament when significant amounts of the best players may not be able to play - and specifically which ones is luck of the draw.

Wether you blame the IIHF or NHL it doesn't change the fact that is is poo.

Many euro fans say it's an important tournaments, but that's because they are used to watching sub par hockey and its a step up for them. NHL fans need a true best on best to get a higher level of hockey.

It's also almost always played outside of the two most important hockey markets prime time - f***ing amateurs.

I love hockey and will watch pretty much any game but the WHC are pretty low on my list of things to get excited about.
So u get excited watching AHL, CHL and NCAA even thought its lower level than WC and the top Euro Leagues. Hmmm.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
The WHC's ARE basically an exhibition tournament. They are played during the playoffs of the league that basically has the best 600+ players in the world...

Clearly the IIHF and participating federations do not give a shit about quality of players.

In my opinion, Canada should always use it as a place to give young guys experience and try out players for best on best tournaments.
No, you're wrong, exhibition tournament was for example World Cup 2016, it's definitely not WHC. WHC is the best international tournament we have right now, last 'best-on-best' tournament was Olympics 2014, that's 10 years ago now.

And it's not about IIHF or federations, most of NHL players are currently available (only 8 of 32 teams in the play-offs, soon there will be 4 teams remaining), shows that some players just don't care about representing their country and rather will go to vacation.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
cant wait to get this started sad that we lost fantili and celebrini cause i wanted to see them but still love the worlds. hopfullly some games on when i get home from work tomorrow morning

edit:nvm first games only start 6 hour after i get home lol.. so 5-5.5 hour sleep then HOCKEYYY

Last edited:

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
I am happy with the result. There are significantly more stars in this tournament than in the past, which increases the value of the gold medal. I wish good luck to all the national teams! It is a pity that my team is not at this World championship and it is unlikely that it will participate in the next 5-6 years. I hope that we will meet again someday and shake hands on the ice.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
So u get excited watching AHL, CHL and NCAA even thought its lower level than WC and the top Euro Leagues. Hmmm.
Any league that has Oscar Lindberg, Michael Joly or Tomas Filippi as their leading scorers should really be careful before they say they are better than anyone!

I get excited watching NHL & Best on Best international hockey including World Juniors.

I enjoy watching AHL, CHL and NCAA because they are the best developmental leagues and have great top end talent.

I'll settle for any hockey game including those euro leagues in a pinch but it's kind of like kissing your cousin.

I also choose the believe that Russian hockey doesn't exist - but that is for ethical reasons rather than hockey ones.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
What about Israel hockey ? Does it exist ?
Good question...?!?

I've always found whataboutism is a great foundation for an argument but I try and keep my ethical questions stand alone and separate.

Either way I am happy that at least Russian international hockey does not exist, for all intents and purposes. That is progress of a type 😀

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Honestly just getting Bedard on a team that should be competitive is good enough for me at this tournament. I want to see what he does internationally against men. It's probably not exactly the team that anyone wanted but it's got some good young players and it should contend. I prefer when the team skews young but as always hope for the best for the players who did show up. I'm satisfied and plan to watch most of the games.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
The optimistic version:

Huberdeau - Crosby - Bedard
Horvat - Barzal - Kozens
Tippett - McCann - Guenther
Neighbors - McMichael - Mercer

Power - Parayko
Byram - Dobson
Oleksiak - Severson

Binnington, Ingram
Konecny easily belongs in top 6 of this roster over whoever Kozens is

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I understand some people not giving much of a hoot about this tournament but personally I've always loved it. It's the wildly rotating lineups each year and having to overcome always being in someone elses barn and being able to gut these things out while having so much stacked against us..............further ensuring euro fans lose their minds and hate us even more.

What more could a fella want?

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
People are too damn snooty about this tournament. Bunch of guys throwing on a red and white jersey with a maple leaf on it and playing against other countries. What's not to like? Are we still caught up in this nonsense about only best-on-best 'proving' something?

Well, tournament hockey, even if it is 'best-on-best' doesn't really prove much, because tournament hockey is inherently flawed. In single-game elimination, a couple of small factors - referee discretion, a stomach bug, a broken stick, the placement of a TV camera - can change one game and that game might be the difference between playing for gold and finishing eighth. Sure, I will value Olympics higher than worlds because it does matter if our best is playing their best, but it's an exaggeration to say that CanADa iS bESt because our guys won the last best-on-best. It might be evidence in favour of that conclusion, but it doesn't fully prove anything.

What we've got tomorrow is a fun tournament featuring some very good-to-great players. Denigrating it because McDavid isn't there? Let it go.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
People are too damn snooty about this tournament. Bunch of guys throwing on a red and white jersey with a maple leaf on it and playing against other countries. What's not to like? Are we still caught up in this nonsense about only best-on-best 'proving' something?

Well, tournament hockey, even if it is 'best-on-best' doesn't really prove much, because tournament hockey is inherently flawed. In single-game elimination, a couple of small factors - referee discretion, a stomach bug, a broken stick, the placement of a TV camera - can change one game and that game might be the difference between playing for gold and finishing eighth. Sure, I will value Olympics higher than worlds because it does matter if our best is playing their best, but it's an exaggeration to say that CanADa iS bESt because our guys won the last best-on-best. It might be evidence in favour of that conclusion, but it doesn't fully prove anything.

What we've got tomorrow is a fun tournament featuring some very good-to-great players. Denigrating it because McDavid isn't there? Let it go.
It's too long. Too many meaningless games.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Any league that has Oscar Lindberg, Michael Joly or Tomas Filippi as their leading scorers should really be careful before they say they are better than anyone!

I get excited watching NHL & Best on Best international hockey including World Juniors.

I enjoy watching AHL, CHL and NCAA because they are the best developmental leagues and have great top end talent.

I'll settle for any hockey game including those euro leagues in a pinch but it's kind of like kissing your cousin.

I also choose the believe that Russian hockey doesn't exist - but that is for ethical reasons rather than hockey ones.
There is plenty of great talents in the euro Leagues. All these euros who are in NHL guess what Leauges they played in before coming over.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Spot on. 🎯

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A Quick Aside - I do NOT want to get into an argument...

(* Mods feel free to delete *)

Seeing a LOT of gambling / crypto commercials during the NHL telecasts. I hope we don't see that during the WC or WJR's. That's kind of advertising, directed towards young men, is just shameful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad