Post-Game Talk: Garbage PP costs us. Oilers lose 6-4 to Bolts

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I can't stand Gryba now its like everytime he has full control of puck he holds onto until someone is right on him and than makes a horrible decision on which way or to which player on the Oilers he's gonna chuck it and it always is either intercepted or iced.

Sekera is the same way but on offense. I hate how he NEVER makes quick decisions on the point. He ends up trying to be fancy by puck handling and by then, the shooting lane is gone. He panics and the puck is on the other teams chins and its going the other way. I know he has been our most consistent dman. But it bugs the hell out of me. lol.

Oct 15, 2008
Eric Gryba is garbage.

Yakupov makes too many boneheaded plays. He is a dumb hockey player.

Our pp can't enter the offensive zone. Completely pathetic. Whoever is in charge of that abortion needs to go.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Eric Gryba is garbage.

Yakupov makes too many boneheaded plays. He is a dumb hockey player.

Our pp can't enter the offensive zone. Completely pathetic. Whoever is in charge of that abortion needs to go.

No excuses, but we all know the defense is terrible and they haven't had a healthy lineup all season. Just once I would have liked to have seen Hall, Mcdavid, Yak, RNH and Ebs all together. :(

Sekera is the same way but on offense. I hate how he NEVER makes quick decisions on the point. He ends up trying to be fancy by puck handling and by then, the shooting lane is gone. He panics and the puck is on the other teams chins and its going the other way. I know he has been our most consistent dman. But it bugs the hell out of me. lol.

Part of the problem especially on the PP is that everyone else just stands around like pylons and then he gets pressured and has no choice but to either shoot or be fancy because no one will come support him. Everyone basically (eventually) gets into the offensive zone and then rushes over to their set points and pitches a tent. :laugh: The way to run a good PP is to move, switch etc to get the defenders moving and open up shoot lanes and seam passes. EDM does not do that.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
1. You don't have to have a cannon from the point to put a shot on net, give it a try. This passing bad and forth is annoying.

2. Eberle was so frustrating tonight. Man, hit something or look like you give a damn.

3. Nilsson was bad. With the first shot of the game and he didn't catch it, knew we were in for a long night. Isn't it goaltending 101 to stand up straight with your back against the crossbar when the puck is no where to be found?

4. Our PP is just so bad, I cringe when we get one. Explain why they play so desperate 5 on 5 and a PP kills any momentum they have?

5. Liked Kassian's game tonight. Eberle should take notes.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I turns out Nilsson isn't great. He's what you get from an average backup. I'm getting more confident that we're going to see Brossoit see some games later this year.

I really liked Kassian's offensive game, but he seemed to be a bit lost on D.

Agree that Eberle was really underwhelming, and has been most of the season. He'll use the absence of Nuge as an excuse to do very little over the next few games. Hopefully McDavid will be able to elevate a couple of these guys.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
We must really love Tampa. We keep gifting them points.

Nilsson :shakehead

When Yak went down in the first I almost threw my remote at the TV. Thank Gawd he came back, yet he still looked off. Hopefully he is fine by Thursday's game.

Very VERY frustrating to lose like that! Then I see the nucks yet again are able to get a point in OT and I vomit a little inside.

Going to need to stay away from HFoil for a couple days.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Lol some on the Montreal board weren't amused to see Kassian got two points last night.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd be more concerned if I have a Bolts fans today. Barely beat a team who played back to back nights and is missing RNH, McDavid and Klefbom. Also played their backup who hasn't played in a long time.

Took the second off an that really hurt us, as well as Nilsson and his stupid play on a PP.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
The thing I find hilarious is that Kassian is already one of the best players on the team. Some other team's garbage, who hasn't played basically all year, is already one of THE best players on the Oilers. And he's not even a defenseman. What does that say?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The thing I find hilarious is that Kassian is already one of the best players on the team. Some other team's garbage, who hasn't played basically all year, is already one of THE best players on the Oilers. And he's not even a defenseman. What does that say?

Well it's about time guys in the bottom 6 started helping. Pakarinen, Letustu and Kassian all chipping in with goals in a game is something we don't rarely see.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer

It says a lot really--defense is poor-backup goalie is weak- but so many of the "young guns" are totally overrated as complete NHL "stars". If they weren't then we wouldn't be at the bottom of the league every year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Calgary game on Halloween (should have gotten at least 1 point)
Calgary game where we up 3-1 with a ****ing PP with 7 minutes left in the 3rd (2 points)
First Tampa game where they scored 3 goals on themselves (should have been 2 points)
This Tampa game (should have had at least 1 point)
Florida game where they had like 8 shots after 2 periods (should have have gotten at least a point)

Probably we should have had at least 1 point from one of those first 3 games too if our PP could freaking score.

So yeah, they've blown at least 8 points this year.

Oh and should have had at least 1 point from that wonky LA game.

And the L.A. game when they scored very late in the 3rd after the Oilers came back to make it 3-3 in a game in which the Oilers outplayed them.
The Washington game when they scored late in a 0-0 game in which the Oilers outplayed them.
They really should have gotten a point out of those games.

Although conversely, there were some games where they were fortunate to get points due to hot goaltending (The Boston and Dallas games come to mind), but it just feels like they've blown games or been unlucky a lot more times than they've been fortunate although if you're unlucky enough times, it's not bad luck, just poor execution. Just a gut wrenchingly frustrating season all things considered.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And the L.A. game when they scored very late in the 3rd after the Oilers came back to make it 3-3 in a game in which the Oilers outplayed them.
The Washington game when they scored late in a 0-0 game in which the Oilers outplayed them.
They really should have gotten a point out of those games.

Although conversely, there were some games where they were fortunate to get points due to hot goaltending (The Boston and Dallas games come to mind), but it just feels like they've blown games or been unlucky a lot more times than they've been fortunate although if you're unlucky enough times, it's not bad luck, just poor execution. Just a gut wrenchingly frustrating season all things considered.

that's the difference between winning teams like the Hawks and perennial losers like the Oilers...

Hawks win the tight games when the game is tied late

Oilers manage to blow those games and miss out on points entirely, like the comeback in LA and Yesterday

still learning to win

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
that's the difference between winning teams like the Hawks and perennial losers like the Oilers...

Hawks win the tight games when the game is tied late

Oilers manage to blow those games and miss out on points entirely, like the comeback in LA and Yesterday

still learning to win

Truth and none of us should be surprised by this yet we all get upset when it happens time and time again. Constantly Charlie Brown'd.

Also, records in tight games is just ONE difference between the Hawks and the Oilers, just to clarify ;)

Toggel

Feb 26, 2015
People that say we have too much talent to have a poor PP. Stop and look at some of the players on the PP. It isn't that stacked, specially the D on the PP. Missing RNH AND McDavid hurts the PP.

Anyone that blames yak even a little on that last goal need to give their heads a shake. If Nilsson stayed in his net Yak had the angle to keep Boyle to the outside. It was a nothing play. You also can't expect yak to play goalie once Nilsson removes himself from the play like an idiot.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Nuge would've blocked that shot....

RTSAhgf.gif

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
People that say we have too much talent to have a poor PP. Stop and look at some of the players on the PP. It isn't that stacked, specially the D on the PP. Missing RNH AND McDavid hurts the PP.

Anyone that blames yak even a little on that last goal need to give their heads a shake. If Nilsson stayed in his net Yak had the angle to keep Boyle to the outside. It was a nothing play. You also can't expect yak to play goalie once Nilsson removes himself from the play like an idiot.

Todd Nelson had the PP humming last year with roughly the same group

heck, he had Anton freaking Lander scoring on the PP

this is a systems thing IMO

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
A player deemed to be in control and possession of the puck can skate backwards into the zone and not violate the off-side rule.

Yep it's one of Rick Nash's favorite moves. I used to scream at the TV that it was off side before I knew it was legal.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Todd Nelson had the PP humming last year with roughly the same group

heck, he had Anton freaking Lander scoring on the PP

this is a systems thing IMO

It's not even systems to me. It's these guys waiting to make the perfect play and shot. Two games in a row we just put the puck towards the net and we scored. Why can't we just do that on the PP?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad