Post-Game Talk: Garbage PP costs us. Oilers lose 6-4 to Bolts

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
PP is really costing the team a lot. It should be an area of strength but isn't. They need to simplify it but unfortunately they lack puck moving defensemen and point shots.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
Watching Drais puck retrieval and puck possession tonight was a treat to watch. Love him.

Game in and game out Draisatl is the best oiler- a little dogy on the dot but good defensively and the strongest player from the neutral zone and into the other teams end -when he is on the ice and we get it in the other teams end he keeps the cycle going-wins battles and can make perfect passes again and again on forehand and backhand and hustles hard back when we lose it. He is also by far the smartest forward-not saying much there though:sarcasm:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
PP is really costing the team a lot. It should be an area of strength but isn't. They need to simplify it but unfortunately they lack puck moving defensemen and point shots.

Lack of point shots and puck moving dmen didn't stop 3 coaches from making a functional PP with essentially the same team.

We lack a PP coach who knows how to make a PP when he doesn't have Pavelski, Marleau, Thornton etc etc. That's all really.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Team blows it in the third again. Colour me shocked. You can always count on the usual Oilers critical failure at an important juncture of the game. Porous D and goaltending will haunt this team for a long time.

Chiarelli needs at least 2 top 4 defensemen to push Sekera, Nurse et al further down the lineup. Or just out of it altogether.

Hilarious that Hunt is even with the team. Baffling decisions.

Hunt is just hilarious to watch. He has no single clue how to play in the NHL. If he's not going to utilize his bomb on the point for the PP, then why the hell is he even here? AHL star belongs in the AHL.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Don't be mad at the player, be mad at these ****ing idiots who've put themselves in this predicament where they actually have to use a player like him (Hunt). It's obvious he doesn't have a chance to be a consistent player in the NHL, he's totally overwhelmed and overmatched in every way possible. Cut the guy a break instead of absolutely slagging him.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Don't be mad at the player, be mad at these ****ing idiots who've put themselves in this predicament where they actually have to use a player like him (Hunt). It's obvious he doesn't have a chance to be a consistent player in the NHL, he's totally overwhelmed and overmatched in every way possible. Cut the guy a break instead of absolutely slagging him.

He sucks. :dunno:

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
It would be nice if we could all agree that the oilers are not good overall and not spend the whole post attacking each other over who sucked more. Suffice to say that top to bottom this team is not good...maybe getting a bit less sucky---but a long way to go to get even reasonably close to even challenging for the playoffs. As oiler fans we all are suffering but attacking each other all night is not entertaining or productive. Cheers.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
WOw Yak had a horrible game. Turnover after turnover. He barely hustled to get back on the last goal but it was his puck decisions throughout the game that made me shake my head. Its time to cut bait with this guy and I really love the man but not the player. I really do he could've been so much better had we kept Kreuger but whats done is done his confidence is shot and its not coming back. Thanks Eakins.

Nilsson wtf I had so much hope for him when he came. Oilers gonna oil.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It would be nice if we could all agree that the oilers are not good overall and not spend the whole post attacking each other over who sucked more. Suffice to say that top to bottom this team is not good...maybe getting a bit less sucky---but a long way to go to get even reasonably close to even challenging for the playoffs. As oiler fans we all are suffering but attacking each other all night is not entertaining or productive. Cheers.

To be honest as bad as they can be, and as infuriating as it can be ... they probably would be sitting in a playoff spot right now or close if not for the freak McDavid injury + bizarre Klefbom staph infection (like ok, get hurt, that's fine, but a random staph infection too ... c'mon).

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
To be honest as bad as they can be, and as infuriating as it can be ... they probably would be sitting in a playoff spot right now or close if not for the freak McDavid injury + bizarre Klefbom staph infection (like ok, get hurt, that's fine, but a random staph infection too ... c'mon).

Yep, that's the thing that annoys me the most. The fact that we're leading in losses because of injuries. McDavid's coming back soon and RNH gets injured. Its a damn cycle. I don't think we'll see a full healthy roster at all this season which is the most frustrating thing. I do hope they can still win the remaining games before the all star break and then McDavid and Klefbom both return will boost the oilers.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
When we get great goaltending, our players have trouble putting the puck in the net.

When our scorers catch fire, our goalies turn into Dan Cloutier.

We find ways to lose hockey games. Plain and simple. So many points given away this season, we could easily be in a playoff spot.

Yes, we're competing and there have been improvements and we can blame injuries yada yada yada.... as a long-time Oiler fan it's just another year pissed away in the basement looking onto the next draft.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
1 goal on Nilson
1-2 goals on Hunt
Loss on the PP.

Coach needs to take Yakupov and Davidson to practice and say "today you have to shoot the puck three times as often as everyone else.

Every time he passes coach tells the team that practice has been extended by 20 minutes.

At the end of the game we saw Davidson try to take some shots, but we need him and Klefbom to shoot like that throughout the entirety of a game. Need to get it into Davidson's head that shooting hard shots from the point every time he gets a chance means that we've got a chance for a rebound.

And as for Nurse, he needs to be more aggressive playing the body. He had Stamkos on the outside and he almost took a penalty when Stamkos got inside on him. You can't tell me that Stamkos is nearly as strong as Nurse. Drive into him with all your strength and plow through his chest.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Eat **** Woodcroft.

Nilsson was horrid.

More points pissed away. Yay!

This.

The power play was putrid as always, and Nilsson **** the bed. For some reason, Schultz, a Hunt that refuses to shoot, and trying to pass the puck into the net just isn't cutting it on the PP. Who knew? And if this is how Nilsson responds after Talbot's contract, well we are probably going to have to go backup shopping this summer.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me

Oiler fans like to use the injury excuse. I doubt McDavid and Klefbom would have this team in a playoff spot if they didn't get injured. When they were playing, the Oilers still lost more games than they won.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The game winner wasn't the only bad goal Nilsson let in tonight.

Also this. Our power play let us down, and it reeks, but we also scored 4 goals tonight. With a decent goaltending performance, we win this game. Guess we have to ride Talbot to death.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
That show on NHL about the Oilers were good and made me realize how you guys basically have your own culture in Edmonton, how tight some of the players were and how they always played to have fun. Really can't blame them for the **** management they and you guys have had to deal with. There's one Canadian team I don't mind and that's Edmonton, the rest can bug off :P

I don't watch EDM enough but it's nice to watch them when we play each other. I've said this for years about Tampa, cut the dead weight. Get rid of guys that bring nothing to the table and we went from a Ryan Malone to Ondrej Palat. Went from Brendan Mikkelsen to Jason Garrison. Hopefully you guys get what you have wanted for years, a winning team.

You should probably know we all love you for beating the Flames in the SCF. :handclap:

And me personally, I love the Tampa market because you guys go to games, and fill the building. You guys get it down there, and it's awesome.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Stick a fork in the playoffs. They were done when CMD got hurt. Unfortunately back to our default... Get a good draft pick and season the kids a little more. Without RNH we are done. Watch us get lit up in Dallas and Nashville.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Coming in peace but since I saw some of you posting about Woodcroft I thought I'd give my thoughts. Honestly I hated Woodcroft in San Jose. I'm not surprised to see complaints about him from Oilers fans. I still like TMac and I hope he has a long tenure with you guys but ugh Woodcroft. I don't think any Sharks fans miss him.

Also I was glad to see Yakupov come back and really hope he's okay. Your injury luck has been terrible lately so hopefully this time it just seems bad at first but ends up being fine.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Stick a fork in the playoffs. They were done when CMD got hurt. Unfortunately back to our default... Get a good draft pick and season the kids a little more. Without RNH we are done. Watch us get lit up in Dallas and Nashville.

meh.....the Oilers have played like 47 1 goal gams in a row.....

I mean...yeah...they will lose....but lit up?

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
meh.....the Oilers have played like 47 1 goal gams in a row.....

I mean...yeah...they will lose....but lit up?

RNH has done all the heavy lifting this year. CMD was sheltered and wherever possible Leon was sheltered. Without RNH will will get exposed big time. Hendrix is a great player but no #2 center. More like 3rd/4th line winger. Ebs and poo looked lost out there without RNH. Anyone who thought it was a good idea to trade him will be really silent while he is out. We are done.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
At some point the players have to take it upon themselves to score on the PP. Coach isn't out there. Please don't say I'm making excuses for coaching because I'm not. I dislike several things the coaches are doing. But guys like Hall and Eberle and RNH have got to be better on the PP. Its just not good enough considering their experience in the league and their familiarity with one another as players.

I mean Eberle as an example has two PP goals this year. Two. He should be able to do better than that even if he was getting coached by a rock. Taylor Hall, way more games played than Eberle and only three. RNH. Yup. Two. These guys are eating up huge PP minutes and not getting the job done. We need to be feasting on the PP in order to have any success. The fact that our three highest paid players have the same number of PP goials combined as Tyler Toffoli is a freaking embarrassment and not totally on the coach ... and I would say that even if it was Eakins.

Bear down ffs.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I have no confidence to win when Nilsson is in goal these days. Talbot would have won us the game. Crappy performance in back checking.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oiler fans like to use the injury excuse. I doubt McDavid and Klefbom would have this team in a playoff spot if they didn't get injured. When they were playing, the Oilers still lost more games than they won.

They literally were in a playoff spot the night Klefbom got injured on Glen Sather night in December, so it's not even a hypothetical.

We had a rough 0-4 start but we also had a brutal schedule to begin with and were beginning to get it going with McDavid already at a PPG by the 10th game or so, and then he breaks his clavicle.

Any time we get anything going, we suffer a huge injury to a key player. Even this little mini-stretch where Cam Talbot got us some points, we win in Florida and then lose Nugent Hopkins.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Hunt played 7:38 too much. Honestly what does anyone in the organization see in this guy that he gets called up twice and Reinhart doesn't? This team should be icing the best possible line up and that does not include Hunt being active. I'm certain that a D line up of

Sekera-Fayne
Nurse-Shultz
Davidson-Reinhart would be better than what we are icing now.

I can't stand Gryba now its like everytime he has full control of puck he holds onto until someone is right on him and than makes a horrible decision on which way or to which player on the Oilers he's gonna chuck it and it always is either intercepted or iced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad