Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm slowly going through Crysis 2. I say "slowly" because I can't play more than one level at a time without losing interest and quitting. This game is so on rails and scripted that it seriously feels like I'm playing a Call of Duty campaign. This is a "far cry" from the openness of Far Cry, and even from Crysis and Crysis: Warhead, which were still less linear than this. This just isn't fun. It looks pretty, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreytWun

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Finished Resident Evil 2 remake and went back to God of War on PS4 and finished that up after stopping because of boredom. Took about half way before it really started to get interesting but up until that point it was painfully slow in all aspects. Trying to get back into FF15 as well.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Working on steam backlogs. Finally started playing Resident Evil 7, man that is a fun (tense) game. I wish I had access to my PSVR at the moment because that has to be insane. After that will be moving on to Hellblade and Re2make.

KCC, surprised you found God of War boring, I couldn't put it down.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I was never really a big fan of Resident Evil and I wanted to try 7 because it was first person, I loved it. When 2 was re-released, I was cautiously optimistic and I was pretty disappointed. I just think first person games >>>>>> third person I guess. I also thought RE7 was a lot scarier than RE2. I'll definitely be grabbing RE8 though since that's also in first person.

I also wish they'd make it in VR on PC. I'd replay it to see it in VR. I'm not buying a PS4 and PSVR just to try it though.

Reactions: GreytWun and Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was never really a big fan of Resident Evil and I wanted to try 7 because it was first person, I loved it. When 2 was re-released, I was cautiously optimistic and I was pretty disappointed. I just think first person games >>>>>> third person I guess. I also thought RE7 was a lot scarier than RE2. I'll definitely be grabbing RE8 though since that's also in first person.

I haven't been able to get into RE at all because the first couple's camera angles frustrated me and I just can't do third person shooters like the later ones are, so I haven't even bothered with them. RE7 got my attention for the same reason that it goes yours, though: it's first person. I haven't played it yet, but I'm hopeful that I'll like it, even more so now, after hearing that you loved it. I'm also happy to hear that the next one is first person, as well. First person is a lot more immersive, which helps particularly when there are elements of horror.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Is anyone playing Genshin Impact? Free, open world, action RPG with gacha elements (characters and weapons). Just released and has a ton of free launch goodies. I guess the best comparison would be Zelda Breath of the Wild. It's really good and really well designed from what I've played so far.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Genshin Impact is like BotW except good. Except for the frame rate, which is still bad sometimes for some reason.

Still keeping an eye out for gacha-related progression walls, though. Feels like something that could happen eventually.

Sep 19, 2008
Rogue Company dropped for PC / Xbox / Switch / PS4 yesterday. Good FPS and is free.

Also playing Warzone and FIFA 21.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I ran into Ghostrunner on my Google feed and it looked really cool. There was surprisingly a demo so I gave it a shot, that was an instant pre-order. Holy shit this game is fun. The movement is top notch and the game play is so damn satisfying.

Reactions: Osprey

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I'm slowly going through Crysis 2. I say "slowly" because I can't play more than one level at a time without losing interest and quitting. This game is so on rails and scripted that it seriously feels like I'm playing a Call of Duty campaign. This is a "far cry" from the openness of Far Cry, and even from Crysis and Crysis: Warhead, which were still less linear than this. This just isn't fun. It looks pretty, though.

I had the same problem when playing as well. It felt like a chore just to beat it which is never good for a game.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Genshin Impact is like BotW except good. Except for the frame rate, which is still bad sometimes for some reason.

Still keeping an eye out for gacha-related progression walls, though. Feels like something that could happen eventually.

I hate this game. Paimon is a horrible character not only in talking in the third person but she’s annoying as hell. The kicker is that you can’t turn it off.

This game wants to be an open world game but when you go wander and you’re supposed to complete a task you get forced away from what you’re exploring back to the task.

Getting tired way too quickly from swimming. Really?

and then add the frame rate stuff..

This game, while a good idea, is very poorly executed.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I hate this game. Paimon is a horrible character not only in talking in the third person but she’s annoying as hell. The kicker is that you can’t turn it off.

This game wants to be an open world game but when you go wander and you’re supposed to complete a task you get forced away from what you’re exploring back to the task.

Getting tired way too quickly from swimming. Really?

and then add the frame rate stuff..

This game, while a good idea, is very poorly executed.

Changed the voices to Japanese and never looked back.

Not sure what you mean about getting forced to do anything? Any time I set a quest marker on the map I end up getting distracted by a dozen things along the way. It feels like Breath of the Wild in that sense except the things you get distracted by are actually fun to do this time; the combat doesn't suck and you're not constantly looking at weapon durability after every fight. There are parts of the map it doesn't let you go to but as far as I can tell it's because those parts of the map aren't actually in the game yet and will be added in free updates later.

The more I play this game the better it is. It's insane that it's free. Literally zero dollars for a good version of BotW. You just have to accept that you're not going to get everything though, I guess. The 5 star drop rates are horrible to begin with and if you want to max a character you need several copies of them. Also the season pass sucks; it's expensive and doesn't have much in it. Framerate issues unsurprisingly seem limited to the PS4 version, which is also the only version that doesn't have cross-play for coop for some reason. Might just start over on PC eventually. Makes no sense to me that this game can run smooth on a phone but not a PS4, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the PS4 at this point.

Reactions: YNWA14

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finally got around to trying Plague Inc. It's the perfect game to relax with and forget about the troubles happening in the world around us. Naturally, I named my first disease COVID-19 and unleashed it on China. 30 minutes later, I had a highly infectious and lethal disease that had wiped out everyone in the world... except for the Caribbean. Somehow, they managed to keep me out and I didn't notice until it was too late because it's so tiny. You lose the game if you don't make mankind extinct by the time that a cure is developed, so I lost and Caribbeans inherited the Earth. I feel like a failure, but I have a hunch that I'll have better success with COVID-20.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Changed the voices to Japanese and never looked back.

Not sure what you mean about getting forced to do anything? Any time I set a quest marker on the map I end up getting distracted by a dozen things along the way. It feels like Breath of the Wild in that sense except the things you get distracted by are actually fun to do this time; the combat doesn't suck and you're not constantly looking at weapon durability after every fight. There are parts of the map it doesn't let you go to but as far as I can tell it's because those parts of the map aren't actually in the game yet and will be added in free updates later.

The more I play this game the better it is. It's insane that it's free. Literally zero dollars for a good version of BotW. You just have to accept that you're not going to get everything though, I guess. The 5 star drop rates are horrible to begin with and if you want to max a character you need several copies of them. Also the season pass sucks; it's expensive and doesn't have much in it. Framerate issues unsurprisingly seem limited to the PS4 version, which is also the only version that doesn't have cross-play for coop for some reason. Might just start over on PC eventually. Makes no sense to me that this game can run smooth on a phone but not a PS4, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the PS4 at this point.
I'm not having any framerate issues playing on PS4 for what it's worth.

Also yes, this game has sucked me in big time. It's an absolutely fantastic game that they give you everything you need to progress. You can beat all the content with just the free characters they give you if you grind out the equipment and know how to rotate properly. I'm lucky enough I've got Keqing, Venti, Fischl and Chongyun on top of the freebies (I include Xiangling and Barbara in there because everyone gets them after progressing) and it's been a blast so far. Only AR 23 though. Haven't found anything about the game I don't like yet and honestly it doesn't seem like there's any paywall to this game either. People will spend because Gacha and everyone has that character they want (or they are just collectors) but it's not necessary at all to enjoy and complete the content.

I hope they expand a bit more on the multiplayer, but it seems like they've got a ton of content planned so. Unreal game.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I ran into Ghostrunner on my Google feed and it looked really cool. There was surprisingly a demo so I gave it a shot, that was an instant pre-order. Holy shit this game is fun. The movement is top notch and the game play is so damn satisfying.

Is this the one that looked like Mirror's Edge with swords and at night? I'm glad to hear it's good.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Started playing Hades. Only got about an hour into it. It’s pretty cool but I’m not seeing all the “Game of the Year” nods that everyone else is.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
2018 Me: I'm disappointed Supergiant is creating a roguelike for their next game. Hades looks great but I've never enjoyed that genre.

Two Weeks Ago Me:
I love Supergiant and I want to jump on this one, but I'm worried because I usually bore of the "Roguelike" loop quickly....

Present Day Me: Hades is Game of the Year

:laugh:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Been playing through a few older Fire Emblem games recently - first was Radiant Dawn and now I just beat The Blazing Blade. Love the series so much, it's always nice going back to some of those titles. Will probably start up The Binding Blade soon.

futureghost

Oct 8, 2020
1. Factorio. Now I know why someone called it cracktorio. Game is addicting.
2. High RTP slots. My advice is to visit theinternetslots.com and get involved whilst it’s still early and reap the rewards before it gets harder to do so :)

Last edited:

saluki

Nov 18, 2017

I've tried several times to get through that game and failed every time. It's just a process of moving from set piece to set piece, and it's not that interesting.

Moving from set piece to set pice CAN work. Max Payne is a great example. But that game has a style and energy and grit that is missing from Crysis 2.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've tried several times to get through that game and failed every time. It's just a process of moving from set piece to set piece, and it's not that interesting.

I finally finished it a few days ago. It doesn't even have an end boss. You simply kill a few grunt soldiers, step into a wind tunnel and then sit through another cinematic that leads to the end credits. It's as if the developers were as tired of making the game as I was of playing it and didn't want to bother with a proper ending.

I think that part of what makes the gameplay uninteresting is that the game holds your hand the whole way. It even tells you when to hold a key/button to "Look" at something in the sky that it wants to show you. The developers seemingly want every player to see and experience everything... which also means that every player has exactly the same experience. The game also gives you on-screen hints when it's a good idea to use your tactical modes (like stealth and armor), which largely encouraged me to just wait to use them until the game told me when they were useful.

Also, speaking of moving from set piece to set piece, literally half of the level transitions in the game are done by you getting knocked unconscious and then waking up. It's ridiculously overused and seemingly lazy.

The game does have some redeeming characteristics: the gunplay and graphics are awesome (even 9 years later). Those are enough that I'll play Crysis 3 eventually, but not any time soon, since I need a long break before I'm ready for another overly linear and scripted shooter.

Reactions: saluki

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I started playing Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. I'm really enjoying it so far. Parts of it feels pretty dated but I can get over those things. Mostly just some of the platforming. The climbing is fun but often times you try to jump off a platform and the game's like "No! You can't do that here! You have to do that 2 feet to the right." Combat's fun though, I figured it would be being an older game by Ninja Theory. That's the main reason I'm even giving it a go right now.

Also started playing Phasmophobia. That game's spooky. It's an online co-op ghost hunting game where you can talk to the ghost. The ghost is programmed to hear a ton of different responses and it may do things by talking to it. The funny thing is if you swear, it'll get angry at you. The goal is to find 3 of like 10 different forms of evidence to identify the ghost type. My favorite round was I just needed one more piece of evidence and I was trying to see if it would leave finger prints. I stood in the middle of the room with the most activity and said "Margaret Smith, can you please close the door." For maybe half a second, she appeared in the corner of the room and slammed the door shut, then just as quickly disappeared. Scared the f*** out of me. I saw the finger prints and I noped out of there so fast.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I finally finished it a few days ago. It doesn't even have an end boss. You simply kill a few grunt soldiers, step into a wind tunnel and then sit through another cinematic that leads to the end credits. It's as if the developers were as tired of making the game as I was of playing it and didn't want to bother with a proper ending.

I think that part of what makes the gameplay uninteresting is that the game holds your hand the whole way. It even tells you when to hold a key/button to "Look" at something in the sky that it wants to show you. The developers seemingly want every player to see and experience everything... which also means that every player has exactly the same experience. The game also gives you on-screen hints when it's a good idea to use your tactical modes (like stealth and armor), which largely encouraged me to just wait to use them until the game told me when they were useful.

Also, speaking of moving from set piece to set piece, literally half of the level transitions in the game are done by you getting knocked unconscious and then waking up. It's ridiculously overused and seemingly lazy.

The game does have some redeeming characteristics: the gunplay and graphics are awesome (even 9 years later). Those are enough that I'll play Crysis 3 eventually, but not any time soon, since I need a long break before I'm ready for another overly linear and scripted shooter.

The visuals are still good to this day.

Today's tech has outgrown the hurdles Crysis 2 used to throw out there. I have three 27" monitors and it runs butter smooth maxed out.

A good game to make your rig-impaired friends jealous lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00