Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Just picked up God of War (4) for $19.99 on the PS store, any tips would be great. So far i like the game but his son is an annoying little shit.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
The kid being annoying isn't going to change, he gets worse before getting better. Stick with the game till you get to the lake, it opens up from there and by then you should have a feel for the combat.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anyone playing Fall Guys? It looks easy and fun but also is $20 and I'm not sure that's a price point I'm comfortable with.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Anyone playing Fall Guys? It looks easy and fun but also is $20 and I'm not sure that's a price point I'm comfortable with.

I'm keeping an eye on this as well.

While $20 isn't a ton of money for a fun game, it doesn't appear to have a lot of levels/game types. I wonder how much it will get in terms of updates.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm keeping an eye on this as well.

While $20 isn't a ton of money for a fun game, it doesn't appear to have a lot of levels/game types. I wonder how much it will get in terms of updates.

Yeah, I don't mind spending $20 on a game but this game seems quite repetitive and I might get bored after a few hours of play.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I was pretty hyped for Fall Guys and played the beta, I was really disappointed. The concept is great but there aren't that many game modes, I would say I didn't enjoy about half of them. The memory game is the biggest waste of time and the team games can be really frustrating when you have some players on your team trying to sabotage your whole team. The tail one is also really dumb because you just need to hold it for the last second. I don't get why it lasts like 3 minutes when only the last 20 seconds are what really matter. Especially frustrating is the crown game where you have to climb the hill and jump into the crown. There aren't many obstacles at all so if you spawn in the back row, you're basically guaranteed to lose.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I finally got my Valve Index and Knuckles, which I was waiting for to play Half Life Alyx. I played for about 2 hours straight and holy shit am I glad to have a new Half Life game. I've been hearing that they didn't want to make Half Life 3 because they needed to find what would be revolutionary for a new Half Life game and didn't want to make one just because. This is it. VR is incredible. So many little details like opening a door with the barrel of your gun, having to put a pipe in a pulley to lock it in place, etc. Even the exploration is the best I've seen and it's because it's VR. There's stuff to collect all over the world and it's a linear corridor game, I never thought I'd say a linear corridor game had some of the best exploration I've ever seen. The first over turned bucket I saw, I thought, "I bet there's something under there." I go to pick the puck it up and sure enough there was. I find myself opening and closing every drawer I see, moving every box, just looking for ammo and resin. I haven't enjoyed a single player game this much in a long time.

Reactions: GreytWun

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
Some day I'll do a Witcher 3 playthrough to get the worst possible ending.

Not going to be this one, tho

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
On some sort of weird impulse I got out my old original Xbox and tried a little of Ninja Gaiden Black. I remember buying it at a used game store specifically because it's been called one of the most difficult games of all time.

No S%^&. LOL it took me like 45 minutes to figure out how to get up the walls in the very opening tutorial level.

I just don't know about the game's playability now. I think if you played it back then and want to replay it for a nostalgia trip it's probably fine. But to go into the game fresh and have to figure everything out from scratch? Probably too much to ask with all of the 1000s of great games that have been released since.

Even little things like not being able to move and look around at the same time come across as incredibly dated in this day.
All that being said, though - I'm going to give it another go. There's still something hooked me enough for at least one more session.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just picked up God of War (4) for $19.99 on the PS store, any tips would be great. So far i like the game but his son is an annoying little shit.
Make sure you shoot arrows with the son at the same time you swing your axe (L1+square I believe), otherwise you're basically doing half damage

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
On some sort of weird impulse I got out my old original Xbox and tried a little of Ninja Gaiden Black. I remember buying it at a used game store specifically because it's been called one of the most difficult games of all time.

No S%^&. LOL it took me like 45 minutes to figure out how to get up the walls in the very opening tutorial level.

I just don't know about the game's playability now. I think if you played it back then and want to replay it for a nostalgia trip it's probably fine. But to go into the game fresh and have to figure everything out from scratch? Probably too much to ask with all of the 1000s of great games that have been released since.

Even little things like not being able to move and look around at the same time come across as incredibly dated in this day.
All that being said, though - I'm going to give it another go. There's still something hooked me enough for at least one more session.
I played the PS3 version and absolutely loved it, despite hating it the first time as a kid (way too hard).

I actually found it easy once I looked up some basic tricks

1. Use the Izuna drop, tons of invincibility frames in the attack, and has splash damage

2. Use the charge attacks as much as possible, also has splash damage and is critical for killing strong enemies

3. If you take too much damage, quit and reload, there's not enough healing items in the game. Once you get in the rhythm this isn't that necessary but a bad enemy encounter with a new enemy type can torpedo your stock of healing items

I think the fixed camera is actually pretty refreshing, it simplifies what you're doing quite a bit

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finished the GDI campaign in Command & Conquer: Remastered Collection last night. The last mission was really hard and took me much of the night... partly because the AI cheated. I don't usually make that accusation, but I managed to catch it red-handed. The AI had a construction yard and a few other buildings off in the middle of nowhere and, after every time that I destroyed them, it rebuilt them as if it wasn't beholden to the same rules against building too far away from an existing building as I was. I had to send in an engineer to capture the yard and then build sandbags where the other buildings were to prevent the AI from rebuilding them (not that I minded it wasting money doing so, but it was wasting a lot of my time destroying them over and over).

Anyways, I'm off to start the Nod campaign. After that, I'll either do the expansion pack missions or jump straight into the Red Alert campaigns, which I'm really looking forward because it's been longer since I played RA than C&C. It's crazy that, after a couple of weeks, I'm 1/6th of the way through the campaigns in a collection that cost only $20. What a deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I finished the GDI campaign in Command & Conquer: Remastered Collection last night. The last mission was really hard and took me much of the night... partly because the AI cheated. I don't usually make that accusation, but I managed to catch it red-handed. The AI had a construction yard and a few other buildings off in the middle of nowhere and, after every time that I destroyed them, it rebuilt them as if it wasn't beholden to the same rules against building too far away from an existing building as I was. I had to send in an engineer to capture the yard and then build sandbags where the other buildings were to prevent the AI from rebuilding them (not that I minded it wasting money doing so, but it was wasting a lot of my time destroying them over and over).

Anyways, I'm off to start the Nod campaign. After that, I'll either do the expansion pack missions or jump straight into the Red Alert campaigns, which I'm really looking forward because it's been longer since I played RA than C&C. It's crazy that, after a couple of weeks, I'm 1/6th of the way through the campaigns in a collection that cost only $20. What a deal.

Yeah, the AI is definitely not subject to the same rules in the old C&C games in terms of building placement or even money. If you cut off their resources, they can still build things.

Classic C&C tactic :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, the AI is definitely not subject to the same rules in the old C&C games in terms of building placement or even money. If you cut off their resources, they can still build things.

Classic C&C tactic :laugh:

That's the other thing that I was very suspicious of. All of the tiberium on the map that I could see was gone and I was hurting really badly for cash, enough that I had to sell buildings, yet the AI had no trouble rebuilding every building that I destroyed and pumping out units one after the other. Repeatedly, I used my ion cannon to vaporize the 20 infantry units that it had standing outside the Hand of Nod (barracks) and, within about 5 minutes, there'd be 20 new units standing outside again. Also, I could destroy the obelisk at the entrance to the base and it would be rebuilt faster than it felt like it should've been. It was all pretty frustrating and I didn't see how I could possibly win. Fortunately, eventually, the tiberium started to regrow around the map and I was able to build enough units to attack their main base with enough speed and firepower to overcome those things. I'm not really upset, though, because it was the final mission of the campaign and I did feel a lot of satisfaction when I finally did beat it.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I finally started God of War (3?) on the PS3 and not sure how I feel about this. I hate the platforming aspect and wasn't expecting that though thankfully it's minor. The fighting seems mostly button mashing/timing. The storyline and voice acting is frankly horrible.

I dunno the game feels very basic and childish to me and I decided to start it because it seemed short and a really good pure action game for a casual gamer like me to get back into gaming outside of repeating sports games.

Reactions: Nickmo82

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Has anyone played “Ryse: Son of Rome”? It’s free on Game Pass and I forgot all about it since it was a X1 launch title and I still had the 360 at the time. Watched a trailer and the E3 gameplay demo and it looks pretty f***in cool. Excited to try it out tonight

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I absolutely loved it. The combat is repetitive but the locations are stellar. I was able to get comfortable with the combat controls after a four or five hour play session. It was a breeze after that.

And I'm a sucker for revenge tales. I had to see it through to the bloody end. It took me probably two weeks of off and on playing to finish.

Sweet yeah I’m totally loving it already :yo:

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Has anyone played “Ryse: Son of Rome”? It’s free on Game Pass and I forgot all about it since it was a X1 launch title and I still had the 360 at the time. Watched a trailer and the E3 gameplay demo and it looks pretty f***in cool. Excited to try it out tonight

Yeah I was pretty entertained for the 5 hours the game goes. Solid hack n slash. For free, I would definetly try it out.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
I finally started God of War (3?) on the PS3 and not sure how I feel about this. I hate the platforming aspect and wasn't expecting that though thankfully it's minor. The fighting seems mostly button mashing/timing. The storyline and voice acting is frankly horrible.

I dunno the game feels very basic and childish to me and I decided to start it because it seemed short and a really good pure action game for a casual gamer like me to get back into gaming outside of repeating sports games.

Which difficulty do you play? On hard, it is definetly not only button smashing.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
So I've somewhat fallen out of favors with third-person action games, but decided to give Gears of War 4 a run since it came with the $1 gamepass.

My assessment of the game: it exists.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Now on to Gears 5. Sounds like they called it what every gamer would, not sure how I feel about that.

I will say that Act 1 has been mostly terrific. Not sure I like the development of JD at the end since he is a character we already knew (and played as) in the previous entry, but alas it's been a fun ride.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Just picked up Luigis Mansion 3 on Monday and it’s a lot of fun. It’s nice to play something a little more light hearted after finishing off the Last of Us 2 last week. The emotion Luigi exudes really makes the game for me.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Been in a slump, bouncing around with a few games, nothing is really grabbing me right now

Still playing with Animal Crossing a bit a few days a week

about 2-3 hours into Middle Earth: Shadow of War, it isn't really drawing me in but I am going to at least try to get through it

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Now in Act 3 of Gears 5.....

Okay, so this game is still mostly great..........but what in god's name were they thinking with JD's development? He went from close friend of the gang to potential pariah to buddy buddy within three appearances. It left a sour taste in my mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad