Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've been hooked on Divinity II for the past week. It has the distinction of being the only Divinity game (besides Divinity Commander) with a third person perspective instead of isometric. I initially thought that I wouldn't like it because I feared that the RPG-ness would be watered down, and I did consider quitting in the first hour or two, but I slowly warmed up to it.

The gameplay is very similar to The Witcher (the first one), another game that I considered quitting but really warmed up to. It also has a few Oblivion influences and even uses the same engine. It's not open world, but the areas are somewhat big. The most unique thing about the game is that, around halfway through, you get the ability to transform into a dragon, which helps in getting around faster.

One thing that's stood out to me and that I appreciate is that the developers really tried to make the game as non-frustrating as possible. For example, your inventory starts out with a generous 100 slots and by the time that you've maxed them out, you get a home base with a bottomless chest and can, at any point, send an item to that chest without going anywhere or even leaving the inventory screen. Also, you can instantly visit your base at any time to retrieve items from the chest, brew potions or enchant items and then instantly return to the exact spot that you left... oh, and for the purposes of brewing and enchanting, it doesn't matter if ingredients are in your inventory or the base chest, so you can free up a lot of inventory slots. Also, curiously, there's no fall damage, so there's no punishment for exploring. Fall off of a cliff and the only hassle is getting back to where you were (which is really no hassle once you get the dragon ability). That's definitely not realistic, but this isn't a survival RPG, so I don't really mind it and it's fun to abuse (like switching off dragon form when I'm 500 feet above my destination and falling to it). Finally, you can put points into any skills and don't need to waste them on skills that you don't want in order to unlock others. If you want, you can put a third of your points into fighter skills, a third into ranger skills and a third into mage skills. Every skill in the game is available to you as long as your character is at the required level for it. Anyways, the point is that the game prioritizes convenience over realism, which I think works very well for this particular game and makes it a bit less frustrating than other RPGs.

Other than the dragon form and the convenience features, it's your standard late-2000s 3D fantasy RPG, which means lots of quests, loot, potions/ingredients, dialogue and combat. It doesn't really stand out, but it's still fun to get your questing and looting fix. I haven't quite finished it yet, but I'm close enough that I can recommend it if you feel like an older game that's similar to The Witcher and Oblivion.

Edit: I guess that I wasn't close to finishing it. After 30+ hours, I got down to one quest left and a point of no return, but going through it didn't take me to the endgame, but to a whole new, large area that I've already sunk another 10 hours into. This is going to be a 50-hour RPG by the time that I'm done with it... and that's not counting the expansion. I'm definitely not complaining, though, because I'm still really enjoying it.

Edit: Oh, I see. When you play the "Dragon Knight Saga" or "Director's Cut" version of the game, it seamlessly starts you on the expansion when you finish the original game. In other words, what I originally thought was the endgame was the original game's endgame and the huge additional area after that that took me another 15 hours was the expansion.

Last edited:

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Harvest Moon on the SNES... found this game at a local thrift store for a few bucks... absolutely love the art and music... great game

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've started playing The Fertile Crescent. It's a free bronze age RTS for PC, Mac and Linux that's very much like the first Age of Empires, only simplified. There's no campaign, there are no civilizations to choose from, the tech tree is short and there are only about a dozen types of buildings and units each. There is multiplayer, though, as well as a singleplayer skirmish mode. In both modes, you start with a few villagers on an auto-generated map and must build up your settlement and wipe out the enemy settlement(s). That seems to take about 30 minutes, give or take, depending on your aggressiveness and the difficulty that you choose or the quality of your opponents. In that time, it's just about possible to research every technology and build every unit and building, so it's not the deepest or most complex RTS (though it does get challenging as you up the difficulty of the opponent). Instead, it's more of a casual RTS to jump into every now and then when you don't have long to play... and it's completely free (including free of advertisements and microtransactions), lightweight and being actively developed.

16435356421574089992gol1.jpg

The Fertile Crescent by LincRead

Last edited:

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Advanced Wars Days of Ruin on the Nintendo DS. One of my favourite games of all time to play online back in the day.. lots of strategy and thinking involved... good times good times

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
E.T. (Atari 2600)

One of the worst Games I've ever played.

I read an article about it just about every year and remind myself each time that I need to finally play it. I read the latest one only just a few days ago, so your post is nicely timed. I should take this as a sign that the time is now.

Neat. You can play it online:

Virtual Atari - The online Atari 2600 arcade

Reactions: NinjaKick

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I read an article about it just about every year and remind myself each time that I need to finally play it. I read the latest one only just a few days ago, so your post is nicely timed. I should take this as a sign that the time is now.

Neat. You can play it online:

Virtual Atari - The online Atari 2600 arcade

Easily one of the worst Games I've played.

Another bad Game is Superman for the N64. :thumbd:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I've been playing the PS4 version of Trails of Cold Steel.

Holy crap this thing hits all my sweet spots. It's like a love letter to JRPG fans. It feels like a combination of Xenoblade, Persona and Fire Emblem Three Houses. If talking to NPC's is your favourite part of a game, you need to play this one. The writing is pretty good and there's so much of it. Vast majority of NPC's are named and they all get new dialogue after anything happens. I've been annoyed at how some modern RPG's (Final Fantasy) have heavily deemphasized NPC interaction, so this has been refreshing.

The graphics are very dated (I think it was a Vita game originally?) and it appears to be a massive commitment to play through the series as each game is so long. But classic JRPG fans should definitely check it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big McLargehuge

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Holy crap this thing hits all my sweet spots. It's like a love letter to JRPG fans. It feels like a combination of Xenoblade, Persona and Fire Emblem Three Houses. If talking to NPC's is your favourite part of a game, you need to play this one. The writing is pretty good and there's so much of it. Vast majority of NPC's are named and they all get new dialogue after anything happens. I've been annoyed at how some modern RPG's (Final Fantasy) have heavily deemphasized NPC interaction, so this has been refreshing.

The graphics are very dated (I think it was a Vita game originally?) and it appears to be a massive commitment to play through the series as each game is so long. But classic JRPG fans should definitely check it out.

Also would have to go back to the PSP days to get the first half of the story. Though I think those games are on Steam now, too (other than the arc that never got localized.)

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Ghostrunner

You play as a cyborg ninja that can wall run, grapple, slide, etc and everything dies in one hit. It's like a fast paced, first person, melee Hotline Miami with parkour and it's incredible.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ghostrunner

You play as a cyborg ninja that can wall run, grapple, slide, etc and everything dies in one hit. It's like a fast paced, first person, melee Hotline Miami with parkour and it's incredible.
Never heard of this game until now, googled it;, looks insanely fun!

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

It bugs me that 1 & 2 aren't on the Switch considering this apparently isn't one of those series that you can't really pick up in the middle and anyone coming new to Cold Steel 1 is already sorta picking it up in the middle (Trails in the Sky 1-3 + 2 that were never released outside of Asia).

I'm very slowly making my way through 1 and am pretty much having the same reaction as you. Falcom had been hiding from me on platforms I never play for decades before these past few years (Ys was my only Falcom experience before and it went into the same pile as every other action-RPG I ignore) and likely would have been my catnip pretty much my entire life had they not spent their first 3 decades being the one Japanese development house making non-hentai or visual novels for computers.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I couldn't figure out what to play earlier this week so I started playing Hollow Knight... Again... For the fourth time... :help:
I have it for Switch and originally played through it there. Excited for it come to PS Plus next month, now I can play it again and try and go for a platinum trophy.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad