Games and Puzzles thread - Devils trivia and beyond

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
That's who I had, and I'm guessing Koho will confirm it but that is right.

Who Am I?

1. I was a captain last year.
2. My only goal as a Devil was pretty special.
3. I did not sign with the Devils.
4. I was not drafted by the Devils.
5. The Devils were my shortest stint with an NHL team.
6. I've been to two Cup finals, once as a captain and lost both times (Well, since I worded it this way, he technically made a "Cup" final three times, losing all three).
7. I was drafted 18 picks ahead of an NJ native, who I was also teammates with during the lockout.

For the NJ native, I've always heard he's from NJ but I guess he wasn't born in NJ. Whatever, most will familiarize him with New Jersey anyways.

The amount of clues makes this one easy to look up, but I'm curious to see if anyone gets it off the top of their head.

I wanted to say Igor Larionov for the longest time because you can stretch some of those to fit him as well. The Canada Cups, and infact was drafted 18 picks behind David Williams, a Plainfield native.

But it's Tom Kostopolous.

1. Captain of Wilkes Barre Pens of the AHL
2. The penalty shot against Pittsburgh.
3. Lou claimed him off waivers
4. Drafted by Pitt in the 7th round of the 1999 entry draft
5. 15 games
6. Calder Cup but you can include the Memorial Cup too
7. Drafted at #204. 18 picks ahead of George Parros at #222

Clue number 7 was the give away.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I wanted to say Igor Larionov for the longest time because you can stretch some of those to fit him as well. The Canada Cups, and infact was drafted 18 picks behind David Williams, a Plainfield native.

But it's Tom Kostopolous.

1. Captain of Wilkes Barre Pens of the AHL
2. The penalty shot against Pittsburgh.
3. Lou claimed him off waivers
4. Drafted by Pitt in the 7th round of the 1999 entry draft
5. 15 games
6. Calder Cup but you can include the Memorial Cup too
7. Drafted at #204. 18 picks ahead of George Parros at #222

Clue number 7 was the give away.

dont you mean lightning?

but ya, #7 was the give away.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Who am I?

1. My junior league team mascot is a predator of my first professional team's mascot.
2. I was never involved in a professional league trade.
3. My name is on two cups.
4. Despite a promising start to my professional career, I only played in 2 NHL regular season games.
5. I owe Sergei Brylin big time.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Who am I?

1. My junior league team mascot is a predator of my first professional team's mascot.
4. Despite a promising start to my professional career, I only played in 2 NHL regular season games.

You almost got me but I figured this out, see if anyone else figures it out. Are you sure his name technically was on the first cup?

Clever on the fifth one lol.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Who am I?

I think I have this one, Steve Brule.

1. Junior team was the Lynx, first professional team was the River Rats.
2. Never traded.
3. River Rats won the Calder Cup in 94-95, Devils in 99-2000.
4. Played in only 2 NHL games with Colorado in 02-03.
5. This is a guess, but I assume Brylin was the player missing from the lineup in 2000 allowing Brule to play his 1 playoff game to get his name on the Stanley Cup.

EDIT: Ah, as I research, it looks like Madden was the player who was injured and not Brylin. I still say Brule as my guess. :laugh:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Should we change this to some active more prominent players or keep with the Devils?

Obviously, if it's a non-Devil, the clues have to be a little more specific

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Who Am I? (Ex-Devil)

1. I've played for four NHL franchises.
2. I played the most games and scored the most points in my draft.
3. I've been to three cup finals with three separate teams.
4. I've never played a full season.
5. I am part of this memorable goal in the Stanley Cup Final, although it's not too memorable for me.
6. I was drafted six spots behind and 14 places ahead of two ex-Devils.
7. I am also a gold medalist although I never played or coached in the Olympics or any World Juniors competition.

I will admit this one is pretty cruel.

Last edited:

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Who Am I? (Ex-Devil)

5. I am part of this memorable goal in the Stanley Cup Final, although it's not too memorable for me.
7. I am also a gold medalist although I never played or coached in the Olympics or any World Juniors competition.

Joe Nieuwendyk. But he played for five franchises.

Edit: checking my hunch:

1. No Nieuwendyk played for five franchises (Calgary, Dallas, New Jersey, Toronto, and Florida).
2. Yes, most goals, points, and games played from 1985 draft.
3. NO Calgary, Dallas, New Jersey, winning all three. EDIT: ack, I suppose he's actually been to 4, two with Dallas.
4. Also true, closest he came (somewhat ironically) was with New Jersey in 2002-2003 before spending the whole playoffs injured, more or less.
5. I suppose Rupp's goal in Game 7 was scored by Rupp because Joe wasn't in the lineup.
6. No This one also isn't true for Joe.
7. No This one also isn't true for Joe, who is a gold medalist but also played in both the Olympics and World Juniors.

So, no on Nieuwendyk... who else...

Last edited:

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Who Am I? (Ex-Devil)

I give up. I think this is the first time I've been legit stumped.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I think I have this one, Steve Brule.

1. Junior team was the Lynx, first professional team was the River Rats.
2. Never traded.
3. River Rats won the Calder Cup in 94-95, Devils in 99-2000.
4. Played in only 2 NHL games with Colorado in 02-03.
5. This is a guess, but I assume Brylin was the player missing from the lineup in 2000 allowing Brule to play his 1 playoff game to get his name on the Stanley Cup.

EDIT: Ah, as I research, it looks like Madden was the player who was injured and not Brylin. I still say Brule as my guess. :laugh:

You're right, should have read this article closer.
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/05/18/sports/hockey-devils-special-teams-will-miss-madden.html

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Who Am I? (Ex-Devil)

I'm thinking the cruel joke could be an expansion draft.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
dont you mean lightning?

but ya, #7 was the give away.

LOL I was at that game. It is very memorable for all the wrong reasons. I don't know which one was worse. The game in sunrise this year, the kostopolous penalty shot game, or the horrific game in sunrise the night after. :rant:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm thinking the cruel joke could be an expansion draft.

Think even crueler.....

And number 7 I thought was pretty cruel myself lol. If no one gets it by later tonight, I'll add another clue which I think we guide people in the right direction.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Who Am I? (Ex-Devil)

8. I made the Stanley Cup finals with the same franchise twice, except on two different teams.
9. I was never drafted in an NHL entry draft.....

I'm pretty sure that makes it obvious, but I doubt people get it otherwise. Once someone figures it all out, I think they will be a bit annoyed/mad at me for all the decoys and tricks in this one :laugh: The last fact in this players wikipedia page made me laugh so hard for some reason.

Last edited:

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
8. I made the Stanley Cup finals with the same franchise twice, except on two different teams.
9. I was never drafted in an NHL entry draft.....

I'm pretty sure that makes it obvious, but I doubt people get it otherwise. Once someone figures it all out, I think they will be a bit annoyed/mad at me for all the decoys and tricks in this one :laugh: The last fact in this players wikipedia page made me laugh so hard for some reason.
Shawn Chambers.

I haven't checked it, so I can't confirm #1, #2, #4, #6, or #7, or even #9. But.... #3 - Dallas, Minnesota, New Jersey, and #8, Dallas/Minnesota.

He did score two goals in the game that clinched the Stanley Cup finals in 1995, so I've got no idea what #5 is on about. Nonetheless... given the number of people I eliminated the last time I tried to figure this out, I'm pretty sure it's Chambers.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Shawn Chambers.

I haven't checked it, so I can't confirm #1, #2, #4, #6, or #7, or even #9. But.... #3 - Dallas, Minnesota, New Jersey, and #8, Dallas/Minnesota.

He did score two goals in the game that clinched the Stanley Cup finals in 1995, so I've got no idea what #5 is on about. Nonetheless... given the number of people I eliminated the last time I tried to figure this out, I'm pretty sure it's Chambers.

It is, I want to see people figure the clues out now, the goal I was referencing was one that was scored because he was beaten as the last defender. A lot of people know this goal but I don't think they know he was the defender, honestly I didn't either. It was one of the most memorable goals of this final though.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Who Am I? (Ex-Devil)

1. I've played for four NHL franchises. (N. Stars, Devils, Lightning, Caps)
2. I played the most games and scored the most points in my draft. (Check, Supplemental Draft)
3. I've been to three cup finals with three separate teams. (Devils, Stars, N. Stars)
4. I've never played a full season. (Check)
5. I am part of this memorable goal in the Stanley Cup Final, although it's not too memorable for me. (Mario Lemieux goal)
6. I was drafted six spots behind and 14 places ahead of two ex-Devils. (Peluso, Expansion; Peter Sidorkiewicz, Expansion)
7. I am also a gold medalist although I never played or coached in the Olympics or any World Juniors competition. (World Cup Gold Metal 1995/1996

1 Through 7

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
8. I made the Stanley Cup finals with the same franchise twice, except on two different teams. (North Stars, Stars)
9. I was never drafted in an NHL entry draft..... (Supplemental Draft)

8-9

Lowest Rated Player on any NHL video game with 1/100 :laugh:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Who am I?

1. I represented my hometown NHL team at one point during my career.
2. I began my career with the Canucks.
3. I share something in common with Alexander Urbom.
4. I was traded six times in my career. Twice for players with near identical last names.
5. I share something in common with Sheldon Brookbank.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Who am I?

1. I represented my hometown NHL team at one point during my career.
2. I began my career with the Canucks.
3. I share something in common with Alexander Urbom.
4. I was traded six times in my career. Twice for players with near identical last names.
5. I share something in common with Sheldon Brookbank.

I'm guessing he was undrafted (link with Brookbank) or he won the cup with the Blackhawks, but I believe I checked that one out.

I also looked at Djugardens and Wheat Kings to Urbom. I'm having trouble with this one.

By starting his career with the Canucks, does that mean he played in a game with them or he just began in their system?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I'm guessing he was undrafted (link with Brookbank) or he won the cup with the Blackhawks, but I believe I checked that one out.

I also looked at Djugardens and Wheat Kings to Urbom. I'm having trouble with this one.

By starting his career with the Canucks, does that mean he played in a game with them or he just began in their system?

Neither on the Brookbank guesses. Think more along the lines of what he's done as a player at the professional level.

This player was never on the same junior league team as Urbom.

The first season of his playing history on hockey db is with a team called the Canucks.

I'll add another clue:

6. I am a defenseman.

Last edited:

TheDarkSideOfThePuck

Aug 27, 2009
Ottawa
Ken Sutton

1. Edmonton Oilers
2. Calgary Canucks from the AJHL
3. Claimed off waivers by New Jersey Devils from Washington Capitals
4. Traded for Pearson in 1995 and for Persson in 1996
5. Both won Eddie Shore award in the AHL