GDT: Game XX Pens VS Leafs: Should ether team even start a goalie? Would it matter?

Outcome of the game?

• Pens Regulation Win

• Leafs Regulation Win

• Pens Overtime Win

• Leafs Overtime Win

• Pens Shootout Win

• Leafs Shootout Win

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genetic

Oct 21, 2009
I missed something. What happened to Vinny hino? Please don't tell me sully switched him out for harkens

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think O'Connor has the hockey IQ to play with Crosby long-term but it's nice that he looks at least passable in the role as an injury replacement.

I don't like Zohorna's fit with Crosby or Malkin at all, so keeping Zohorna and Eller together on L3 and promoting O'Connor to the top-6 with an injury is definitely the best decision to make IMO.

Speaking of that 3rd line, they're absolutely dominating analytically today. Harkins hasn't even been on the ice for a shot attempt against and Eller is currently at a 12-3 shot attempt differential. I haven't really noticed Harkins doing much positive today but hard to criticize those numbers.

Reactions: Invalid cuz QoC

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Smith coming back down to earth hard and bottom pairing playing a ton with him hasn’t helped.

That's not a thing that is happening.

In their last 10 games, Malkin has played 6 minutes with both Karlsson and Letang, 60 minutes with Karlsson, 60 minutes with Letang and 28 minutes without either Karlsson or Letang. That's over 80% of his ice time with one of Letang or Karlsson on the ice.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
How? He has 2 points in his last 10 games at 5v5, while looking noticeably bad and off. How does he not deserve blame for that?
I don't know if there's another answer other than, "He isn't aging the same way Sid is."

If he's not injured, we're in big trouble and will have to become a 1-line team like EDm.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
My only problem with Malkin and Smith line is that Smith defers to Malkin all the time. As soon as he gains the opposing teams just needs to cover Geno because he passes it back always.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
How? He has 2 points in his last 10 games at 5v5, while looking noticeably bad and off. How does he not deserve blame for that?

Because he's one of five players. Two of the others are Smith and Rakell who are doing worse. Spot duty for Nylander who isn't an NHLer.

There are a lot of ridiculous people out here.

Remember harping on Malkin’s 5 on 5 gf% when he had like 9 points in the first 4 games?

I do not recall this.

Smith coming back down to earth hard and bottom pairing playing a ton with him hasn’t helped.

Who is he playing with from the defense? Letang pairing?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Of all the accomplishments achieved in Crosby’s career, I think nearly maintaining a PPG pace with Drew O’Conner on his wing may be near the top.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
I don't know if there's another answer other than, "He isn't aging the same way Sid is."

If he's not injured, we're in big trouble and will have to become a 1-line team like EDm.
Crosby wouldn't do shit either with AHL fodder Malkin's playing

Reactions: akapidots

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Because he's one of five players. Two of the others are Smith and Rakell who are doing worse. Spot duty for Nylander who isn't an NHLer.

There's also a point of expectations with him that I don't think Smith, Rakell and Nylander have, though. Malkin is expected to drive offense on that 2nd line and guys like Smith and Rakell are just support pieces. Nylander isn't a NHLer, as you noted.

Who is he playing with from the defense? Letang pairing?

About 40% Letang, 40% Karlsson and 20% the 3rd pair. Similar to what Crosby's getting.

Crosby wouldn't do shit either with AHL fodder Malkin's playing

Crosby is literally playing with Drew O'Connor right now and he's producing well with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad