GDT: Game XX Pens VS Leafs: Should ether team even start a goalie? Would it matter?

Outcome of the game?

• Pens Regulation Win

• Leafs Regulation Win

• Pens Overtime Win

• Leafs Overtime Win

• Pens Shootout Win

• Leafs Shootout Win

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Not often I dislike a fourth line guy but Nieto is such a waste. No size not exactly a body that can take the body on a typical 4th line and is exactly what sully loves. Small skater who brings nothing but skating and speed that has zero impact.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
There's also a point of expectations with him that I don't think Smith, Rakell and Nylander have, though. Malkin is expected to drive offense on that 2nd line and guys like Smith and Rakell are just support pieces. Nylander isn't a NHLer, as you noted.

About 40% Letang, 40% Karlsson and 20% the 3rd pair. Similar to what Crosby's getting.

Crosby is literally playing with Drew O'Connor right now and he's producing well with him.

Rakell's start does not help Malkin's case. Smith going cold also does not help. Nylander will never help.

Expectations for Malkin... I don't know what I expected from a 37 year old, frequently injured player. Almost a point per game is good for me.

If you want to complain about his 5 on 5 production I think the correct wording is "the second line needs to do better".

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rakell's start does not help Malkin's case. Smith going cold also does not help. Nylander will never help.

Expectations for Malkin... I don't know what I expected from a 37 year old, frequently injured player. Almost a point per game is good for me.

If you want to complain about his 5 on 5 production I think the correct wording is "the second line needs to do better".

I'm not saying Malkin has been bad all year, though. He was amazing to start the year but has been miserable over this recent stretch.

His overall year has been solid but it has been either "this looks like prime Malkin" or "he looks like he's playing injured" so far. It's the same issue Jarry has, he needs to iron out the ups and downs. Although at his age, I don't know how much Malkin can feasibly do that.

Hotep Numminen

Aug 13, 2020
now on year 6 or 7 of commentators pointing out they weren't allowed to shoot for empty nets back in their day. who care

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm not saying Malkin has been bad all year, though. He was amazing to start the year but has been miserable over this recent stretch.

His overall year has been solid but it has been either "this looks like prime Malkin" or "he looks like he's playing injured" so far. It's the same issue Jarry has, he needs to iron out the ups and downs. Although at his age, I don't know how much Malkin can feasibly do that.
I think the powerplay has killed Malkin's 5v5 confidence as well. He's pressing so hard all over the ice right now.

And it doesn't help that Smith has completely disappeared recently too. Smith has been pretty bad the past 5 or so.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
I love Petterson with the WWE move... holy shit, Toronto high-stick let it go. Pens with the Double arm Toss, let it go.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You think so ?

Yeah he has looked really bad to me in their recent stretch. Not sure what's going on with him, but hopefully he snaps out of it. He was amazing to start the year so you know he still has it, but he's been going through a super rough spot recently.

I think the powerplay has killed Malkin's 5v5 confidence as well. He's pressing so hard all over the ice right now.

And it doesn't help that Smith has completely disappeared recently too. Smith has been pretty bad the past 5 or so.

Yeah he's certainly not getting any help from his wingers. I can definitely buy the idea that he's holding his stick too tight due to the struggles of the powerplay unit.

Nylander firmly does not look like a NHLer, I'm hoping that Rust getting back pushes Nylander back to the AHL. O'Connor on Crosby's line looks passable enough that I don't think you need to put Rust back there, Malkin needs him more.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

You excluding his linemates failures isn't fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad