GDT: GAME XIX: Snow vs. Oil

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Just wanna say, yes the Avs sucked but man I've been to every single Avs game in Edmonton dating back to 97. I've been to other opposing barns but I haven't been physically abused like I did tonight. Dumb ***** sitting behind me hits me twice in the head with intention until I snapped the **** out of her. That's when her family of six finally ****. Classless Oilers fans. Fk McDavid and the Oilers

Hey man, I'm sorry that happened to you, that some f***ing horse shit. Yall deserve better.

What is the deal with Burakovsky, btw? Everytime I see him play he looks like a 90 point player, but like he's been a ~30 point guy for half a decade. I dont get it.

I'm sorry about tonight on the ice too, I wanted to win ofcourse, but I was hoping it would be a more even game. I have a soft spot for you guys; I will always appreciate how hard you guys kicked Calgary's ass last year. <3 Was a thing of beauty.

Can you guys do me a favour? Can you just go run roughshod over the Flames again Tuesday? I'd appreciate if you can beat the Nucks too, but I dont really care about them. But please embarrass those Flames, make their bandwagon Arena clear out before the third period.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Bad game, well deserved beating.

But C´mon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Zadorov. Wilson and both goalies out. And I´m pretty sure some other guys on this team are playing banged up too. I doubt McJesus would´ve pull out this performance with all these guys on board! No offense to McDavid, who is a fantastic player, but this game looked like a pre-season game where on team ices half an ahl-squad and the other team goes full power.

I would have called up Greer for the lols and to throw him on the 4th line in case anything happened, just send him out there to deal with it..

Yup, me too. Everyone knows we are missing nearly half of our squad and takes a run at the remaining players, especially MacKinnon. That´s on Bednar to not adress this shit.

After so many years of suffering we have now a team which can compete. Heck, Sakic went out and brought in "depth".... Everything lookes promising.... And then one by one goes down on injuries.... f*** that.

For those who say "well every team has to go through that"... Maybe, but show me a team that loses both of its goalies and nearly the best line in hockey at the same time. Show me Edmonton if Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins are both out for weeks....

Reactions: Boulder Avalanche

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hey man, I'm sorry that happened to you, that some ****ing horse ****. Yall deserve better.

What is the deal with Burakovsky, btw? Everytime I see him play he looks like a 90 point player, but like he's been a ~30 point guy for half a decade. I dont get it.

I'm sorry about tonight on the ice too, I wanted to win ofcourse, but I was hoping it would be a more even game. I have a soft spot for you guys; I will always appreciate how hard you guys kicked Calgary's ass last year. <3 Was a thing of beauty.

Can you guys do me a favour? Can you just go run roughshod over the Flames again Tuesday? I'd appreciate if you can beat the Nucks too, but I dont really care about them. But please embarrass those Flames, make their bandwagon Arena clear out before the third period.

It's early, but I think Burakovsky is just fitting in really well with the Avs off the rush, up tempo style. He's always had good zone entry stats and the Avs style takes advantage of this.

He's a great skater and he's also shooting more than he ever has with 1.83 shots/gm. This has probably led to more confidence in his shot, because it's looked outstanding so far this year. Way better than you'd think from a guy with 12 goals each of his last three seasons.

He's working hard too which is nice to see, because I was worried he'd be a bit of a floater. He was probably one of the few Avs that played hard for most of the game tonight.

I think he's probably enjoying the change of scenery too. We'll see if he can stay relatively consistent throughout the year though. Would be a big bonus if he can.

Reactions: MacBradley

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
I’m actually getting along with oilers fans. They finally look like a well coached team. They play with grit and speed and no dirty business like the flames. They have two superstars driving their team much like we did last year.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
I will say they look much better structured than years past. They are too top heavy but their systems are working so much better than past coaches. Oilers will make the playoffs.

It sucks that Kassian went after Mack, but that’s his job. I have so much respect for that guy turning his life around. It was a clean hit and it’s the guys game. We’re looking at a different oilers team regardless if they are only top heavy. Tippet is doing quit a job there.

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
After calming down some, that was just a mess of a game. The Oilers came out immediately and set the tone and the Avs couldn't come close to matching it. The whole team aside from Bura, Calvert (for the first half), and Kamenev didn't even try. Especially disappointed with how Mack was this game, after he took that hit he just acted like he didn't care about the game at all. The defense was in total shambles too, not a single one of the 6 played well, Makar was probably the best one but he looked pretty invisible. Lastly, something needs to be changed with the defensive scheme and the PK, seam passes are way too easy for opposing teams and it's just way too passive.

Also yes Sakic probably should have gotten a more experienced 3rd string goalie, but he also doesn't have a crystal ball to see that both Grubauer and Francouz were going to go down. I think Werner was the least of out worries, the first 3 goals were more on piss poor defense than anything.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
4WTd7AA.png

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Should've gotten a veteran 3G so Werner didn't have to play in the NHL.

Someone like Bibeau? Who was on the bench tonight but is also just returning from injury and hasn't played in weeks but has 30+ AHL games every year since joining the AHL in 2014-2015.

You can argue he might not have been the ideal target if you want, but Sakic did get a vet. It just so happened said vet was also injured when the 2 NHL goalies both got injured too and they had to go to the next person in line.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Ian Cole is the new Brad Stuart. trade him or buy out. can't continue playing him, unless you want some top 10 picks in the draft.

not surprised at all to see the arguably two hottest players in the world right now feasting on a half AHL lineup. move on, s*** happens.

just hope our goalies are back soon.

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Half our team has to be laboring or playing hurt but they don't wanna sit out because the injury list is already long as hell. They looked completely uninspired tonight. Meh!

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Big time. It's such an underrated deterrent but it's why I'm always in the group that wants Zadorov to stick around forever. That guy changes how players play on the ice, I don't care what anybody says. We've seen it time and time again, he has a huge impact on games.

Just like we lived with the good and the bad with Tyson Barrie, I'm willing to put up with the bad that comes with Zadorov and his inconsistent play if he's going to also bring the good of the physicality/intimidation, which is a very real thing.
Even if Zadorov doesn’t deter the other team from making big hits, he can still change the game with his own big hit.

The Avs were going to lose last night regardless, because McDavid vs an AHL goalie just isn’t fair, but if Zadorov goes head hunting in the first period and catches someone like RNH, it definitely changes the mood on the bench. It’s like going to fight someone in the school yard, knowing your big brother isn’t far behind you.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Rough night. Erase it from the memory. Peter kept saying the difference in the game was the PP. I usually disagree with him but he’s right. Avs did damage against the Oilers 5v5.

In saying that, the pp still matters and that’s why we got stomped. You keep taking penalties against guys like Mcdavid and that happens. The countless giveaways right into Mcdavid’s stick certainly didn’t help either.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I’m glad I got blackout drunk last night. I mostly remember the Makar rush, and Bura playing well. Oh, and McDavid having the easiest night of his life.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I think i'll start a petition to bring back the Goons and fighting in the NHL , like in the 70's and 80's.
It's not a pefect solution , but at least some players would think twice b4 trying to injure star players in the NHL. :rolleyes:
For once i wanted to relax and Watch a game … first thing ( and last thing ) i saw was Nathan Mackinnon being run over.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
This is why I suggested weeks ago that the Avs make a play for a guy like Marcus Foligno. Not that he's the toughest guy in the world but he's a bit like Kassian in that he hits everything and we don't really have an imposing forward like that in the lineup. We have too many Nietos, Calverts and the like and they aren't as effective to take players out of their game.

I also find it funny that Kassian hits MacKinnon like that but doesn't clue in that Zadorov (or someone else) is going to take out McDavid in much the same manner later on in the season. Be careful what you wish for.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just so you guys know, Zack Kassian is not scared of Zadorov. Like not even slightly. I’d bet it’s the other way around.

Reactions: bradrich99

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I've seen Zadorov fight the likes of Martin, McQuaid, Stewart, Lowry, and Manson. I feel confident that he can acquit himself well against anyone. The bigger issue is why is he the only player (other than Calvert) that can step up to deal with these situations. Zadorov also should not have to take himself off of the ice for five minutes to address these issues.

I am not a big proponent of fighting, but I have also witnessed three straight games with different Avs players getting run to varying degrees and some of whom suffered injuries. It is becoming a bit much.

I agree with Bender, although I am not sure Foligno is the answer.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As far as blowouts go, I don’t feel too badly about this one. It’s the NHL. Some nights, one team just can’t miss (especially against a 3rd string goalie). Our guys didn’t quit after the 1st like they could have. I don’t think this loss should bleed into the next game as it might have in prior years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad