GDT: GAME XIX: Snow vs. Oil

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
We need a total reset on the defensive side of the puck, including the PK.

They need to STOP with the turnovers in the defensive zone. Even if it means going high off the glass and not tape to tape so be it. These turnovers are killing us.

Secondly on the PK, they need to start pressuring the puck up the ice more and stop allowing an easy setup. Then once set up they need to apply a bit more pressure on the puck carrier and stop allowing seam passes.

Fix these issues and this team can go far. If not it's gonna be an up and down season all year.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Looking forward to Zadorov being back soon. He’s been out three games so far.

First game, Bellemare takes a flying elbow from Foligno. Second game Francouz gets run and KO’d on the first shift. Third game, Kassian takes a big pre-planned run at MacKinnon and levels him on the very first shift. Then leaps in the air to hit Compher with a 5-1 lead.

This is not a coincidence. Teams don’t make these reckless hits if they know Zadorov is there to take a big run at McDavid or their players for payback.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This isn't on Werner. It's up to the team to help out a goalie who's playing in his 2nd ever game, particularly when he's facing McDrai. Werner got hung out to dry because the team in front of him just laid down and died.
It's definitely not on Werner; however, an NHL netminder more than likely stops two of those McDavid goals, if not all three of them.

Sure, the one off the rush on the PP was nice but notice how deep Werner was in his net. Same goes for Nugent-Hopkins' 2nd goal. Notice how deep Bibeau was in his net AND the fact that Bellemare went down to block the shot, yet Bibeau still couldn't telegraph where the shot was going. Little things like that make the world of difference and are why those guys are in the AHL and very likely never going to be NHLers.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Looking forward to Zadorov being back soon. He’s been out three games so far.

First game, Bellemare takes a flying elbow from Foligno. Second game Francouz gets run and KO’d on the first shift. Third game, Kassian takes a big pre-planned run at MacKinnon and levels him on the very first shift. Then leaps in the air to hit Compher with a 5-1 lead.

This is not a coincidence. Teams don’t make these reckless hits if they know Zadorov is there to take a big run at McDavid or their players for payback.
Big time. It's such an underrated deterrent but it's why I'm always in the group that wants Zadorov to stick around forever. That guy changes how players play on the ice, I don't care what anybody says. We've seen it time and time again, he has a huge impact on games.

Just like we lived with the good and the bad with Tyson Barrie, I'm willing to put up with the bad that comes with Zadorov and his inconsistent play if he's going to also bring the good of the physicality/intimidation, which is a very real thing.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's definitely not on Werner; however, an NHL netminder more than likely stops two of those McDavid goals, if not all three of them.

Sure, the one off the rush on the PP was nice but notice how deep Werner was in his net. Same goes for Nugent-Hopkins' 2nd goal. Notice how deep Bibeau was in his net AND the fact that Bellemare went down to block the shot, yet Bibeau still couldn't telegraph where the shot was going. Little things like that make the world of difference and are why those guys are in the AHL and very likely never going to be NHLers.

And this falls on Sakic. This is Werners first year in NA and he shouldn't have seen any NHL action this year imo because I think it was pretty clear he was never going to be NHL ready this year(if ever honestly).

Reactions: Boulder Avalanche

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Big time. It's such an underrated deterrent but it's why I'm always in the group that wants Zadorov to stick around forever. That guy changes how players play on the ice, I don't care what anybody says. We've seen it time and time again, he has a huge impact on games.

Just like we lived with the good and the bad with Tyson Barrie, I'm willing to put up with the bad that comes with Zadorov and his inconsistent play if he's going to also bring the good of the physicality/intimidation, which is a very real thing.

I wish he could stay too, but unfortunately I think they'll probably need to move him for expansion if they bring in another high end winger.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I really don't like this response from Bednar. I wanted some accountability from the coaches and PK unit.

He's not wrong though, and do you really expect him to call out his coaches?

I mean MacK played like a scared little girl after taking that hit, just a dog shit game from him. It's hockey you get hit every once in awhile, if that's how you respond to getting hit there is a problem. You are far and away the best player on the team we can't have you checking out because you got hit.

Kadri was putrid, try another finesse move jackass. Start playing hockey or move on to the ballet. Toe drag, through the legs, spin o rama, who cares you aren't good enough to pull that shit off.

JT miserable. Jost as bad or worse. Donskoi not very good.

Makar sans a few plays, pretty invisible.

Girard is starting to piss me off, his laissez faire approach, which leads to constant turnovers, fumbled pucks, not keeping pucks in the zone etc. Is making Tyson Barrie look like the hardest working player on the planet.

EJ invisible.

The only players that looked passible tonight we're Burakovsky, Kamenev and at times Calvert.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
And this falls on Sakic. This is Werners first year in NA and he shouldn't have seen any NHL action this year imo because I think it was pretty clear he was never going to be NHL ready this year(if ever honestly).
Sure, but at the same time how often do you see NHL teams having to dig into BOTH of their AHL goaltenders at the same time?

Nobody could have predicted this happening. We should have had a veteran in the AHL just in case, but this is extremely rare and the Avs just have to survive it for now.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Low key though... I didn’t think the Avs were horrible tonight.

I’ve been pretty lenient because of the injuries, but I thought it was an ok performance given the roster situation.

- PK and goaltending was brutal obviously. Mind you, I’m not blaming Werner. That’s a tough situation to come into.

- I liked Burakovsky and Kadri tonight. That goalie interference call was BS.

- We really need Girard to get back to playing the way he was earlier in the season.

- Makar was fine, he made some very nice offensive plays, but also some lapses in his own zone.

- Nate was not good.

- We need Grubauer and Rantanen back, badly.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I really don't understand why they gave the net to Adam Werner when Adam Warner did so well last game.

Reactions: Metallo

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Just wanna say, yes the Avs sucked but man I've been to every single Avs game in Edmonton dating back to 97. I've been to other opposing barns but I haven't been physically abused like I did tonight. Dumb bitch sitting behind me hits me twice in the head with intention until I snapped the shit out of her. That's when her family of six finally stfu. Classless Oilers fans. Fk McDavid and the Oilers

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Get out of here with that BS. We've had comeback victories this season.

The team is out 6 regular NHLers, including both of our goaltenders. We've been just trying to stay alive up until now, a game like this was bound to happen with AHL caliber goaltending going against arguably the top two offensive players in the league right now.
After cooling down, I would have to agree with you. It's easy to get pissed off when you watch your team get pummeled lol Our PK was absolutely brutal though. That, I won't change my mind on. Needs some SERIOUS work

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So that sucked. First and probably only Avs game I get to see live this season and they got blown out.

I can't lie though, the McDavid show was fun to watch in person.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
So that sucked. First and probably only Avs game I get to see live this season and they got blown out.

I can't lie though, the McDavid show was fun to watch in person.
Western Canada Avs curse lives on. I live in mississauga/Toronto where it's more fair lol. Hope you had a good night regardless.

Reactions: Avs_19

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I didn't think we played that bad, we were even 5 on 5. Your goalie has to be your best penalty killer and he couldn't save a beach ball. Almost EVERY goal he was clear clean unscreened, that's not a NHL goalie.

I agree.

I played Goalie growing up and I always had the mentality that you have to make a save. Not that I was any good. But you have to be a positive difference maker on the ice regardless of the quality of shots your facing.

Allowing the amount of goals that we did on clean looks can’t happen.

I’m not blaming Werner, he’s not even supposed to be in the league right now. You just can’t ignore the reality of the situation.

Reactions: MacBradley

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just wanna say, yes the Avs sucked but man I've been to every single Avs game in Edmonton dating back to 97. I've been to other opposing barns but I haven't been physically abused like I did tonight. Dumb ***** sitting behind me hits me twice in the head with intention until I snapped the **** out of her. That's when her family of six finally ****. Classless Oilers fans. Fk McDavid and the Oilers
That sucks big time. i've never been abused at an Oilers game wearing Avs gear to boot. Then again I look like i've done time so maybe thats why.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just wanna say, yes the Avs sucked but man I've been to every single Avs game in Edmonton dating back to 97. I've been to other opposing barns but I haven't been physically abused like I did tonight. Dumb ***** sitting behind me hits me twice in the head with intention until I snapped the **** out of her. That's when her family of six finally ****. Classless Oilers fans. Fk McDavid and the Oilers

That's unfortunate. Oilers fans always cool whenever I go. It's a fun back and forth if anyone does start talking smack. Never serious.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

What is he supposed to do? The grim reaper is literally sitting outside the Avs locker room every night looking to claim another soul.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
It wasn't that bad of a game. They showed some fight but we're going to need to Landy and Zadorov back. Too many teams having there way with us physically.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wouldn't lump all Oilers fans into those you had to deal with tonight. I've never had a poor experience with them, and others here in Edmonton can also probably say the same.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It wasn't that bad of a game. They showed some fight but we're going to need to Landy and Zadorov back. Too many teams having there way with us physically.
It also doesn't help when your forward call ups are midgets. I would have called up Greer for the lols and to throw him on the 4th line in case anything happened, just send him out there to deal with it.

Not that Greer is some menacing goon, but at least he'll do something out there or try to.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Werner played really well against Winnipeg but was pretty bad tonight. That is quite frankly to be be expected given how young he is and the fact it is his first year in North America.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Not really much you can do with your 3rd string goalie and half your important players missing. Burakovski basically making a statement that he belongs on the second line was a plus tonight.

Move on to the next one I guess. Oilers are fortunate to face half our team and our 4th string goalie tonight.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad