Post-Game Talk: Game XI Pens win vs Ducks: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

Sully would be which character:

• Darth Helmet

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Barf

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Lone Starr

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • President Skroob

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Colonel Sandurz

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Prince Valium

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
A narrow win thanks to a dirty goal by a bottom six player against a team on a six-game win streak whose goalie had a great game? And our goalie got injured halfway through? And our first empty net goal was disallowed because #59 lost his damned mind for a second? Is this real life? So many opportunities to shoot ourselves in the foot and we didn't do it.

Rakell needs a goal so badly. Graves shooting from everywhere with zero traffic is driving me nuts. And the commentators were praising him for it, the idiots. But at this point I will take a good effort and the Pens not shooting themselves in the foot.

If Jarry's out long term Sully will have a convenient excuse for the extremely tough stretch of games coming up.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It looks like they definitely pulled back the forecheck with the goal of tightening up the NZ, Ducks absolutely had a tougher get blue-to-blue than past teams have against the Pens. It seems to be a better fit for the, er, overall experience level of the current squad.

It's just one game and it could go back to shit in no time flat but at least for today, I think we may have actually seen some coaching here, folks.

Noticed not just the top 2 lines starting in the offensive zone. Makes for an easier night for all.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
My thoughts...
- Jarry played well. He had some tough saves to make, and delivered.
- Hellberg had to make some tough saves too, and also kept us in a close game.
- Top 6 didn't have to do all the work.
- Jake "Mr. empty net goals" Guentzel got selfish there hoping to pad his stats.
- Team didn't shoot themselves in the the foot and won a close game, which was impressive. Though we did have our "let's let them come back in the 3rd period moment".
- Ducks were hot winning 6 in a row, so this was a real win!
- 2 wins in a row buys Sully 20 more games to screw up.

All in all good stuff!

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Love the fire that Geno is playing with this season.

Would like to see more of that from Sid. He's been a bit quiet so far. Producing, but not playing with the energy we're accustomed to seeing from him.
before the last couple of seasons, this was the norm for Sid out of the gate. Constantly looked old and slow and it prompted a billion, "is Sid done?!" comments every year.

Unfortunately, as he quickly approaches 100 years old, the questions have more validity. But I wouldn't worry, I'm sure he'll be fine by July

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I’m glad Zoho is playing good.

I’m glad that I was wrong when I thought you guys just liked him because he’s tall.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
before the last couple of seasons, this was the norm for Sid out of the gate. Constantly looked old and slow and it prompted a billion, "is Sid done?!" comments every year.

Unfortunately, as he quickly approaches 100 years old, the questions have more validity. But I wouldn't worry, I'm sure he'll be fine by July

It’s funny bad Sid is still on pace for 40 goals and 90 pts.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I just got home from the game tonight. Below are some photos from my seats. P.S. Lars Eller is a great two way centerman.
I’m down in San Diego. Really wanted to go to the game. But couldn’t find someone to watch the kiddos for me and my wife to come up there to Anaheim. Maybe next year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I have to say this tweet is driving me nuts…should be “fewer” goals, not “less”!,…

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I’m glad Zoho is playing good.

I’m glad that I was wrong when I thought you guys just liked him because he’s tall.

This is where I think GM's, coaches (and fans) get player evaluation incorrect.

Z in a vacuum is probably a borderline AHL/NHL player. I mean he had other places where he didn't stick so there's nothing horrible or shocking about this statement.

What GMs/coaches can't see or predict is what I call "linemate compatibility". He and Lars have unbelievable chemistry. They play at the same pace and Z has found himself in the correct place to put home some goals.

That is why I've been so perturbed by this group of F's this team has collected: a bunch of floaty wingers who don't do anything else but play perimeter hockey. This is especially true of the top 6 who milk Sid and Geno for points. So for me it wasn't that I was pining for Z because "he's tall". It's because he had proven track record he's a possession monster and can keep plays alive in the Ozone. When is the last time you saw Rust or Jake or Harkins (lol) come out of the corner with a 50/50 puck?

This is another topic, but this is partly why I didn't want to see Zucker go. He was a good linemate for Geno for similar reasons: was really the only guy who would get in the corner and come out with the puck to keep possession for his line or was an engaging forechecker.

Also the reason I want less of Ruh types and more Friedman types on the backend. They come off the boards with pucks or they make the other team pay for getting it.

Z is proving that you don't have to have a mean streak/hitter to be an effective linemate but you need to support your line and he's doing all those little things that create more zone time.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Historically, Sid starts out a little slow and then turns it on as the season goes. My only pickle to pick with him is the absurd number of low % passes he attempts. I was kind of thinking about this last night...what kind of a player is Sid now? Historically, you could always say - Sid is one of the best playmakers in the league, maybe ever! That was always his label - playmaker. Two seasons of "goal scorer". But now? I have no idea what his identity is other than star forward. Maybe "solid 2-way forward"? When I look at Sid, I see a guy who is still trying to play like he's 26 not 36. To quote Coach O'Ryan from D3: "Your little Duck tricks aren't going to work at this level" and that what I keep thinking when I see him attempt some of the passes and plays he does.

It's not anything I worry about really, it's just an observation.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 8.13.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 8.11.57 AM.png

Petts - EK is one of the best pairings in the game.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Pens looked good through 2. Ducks pushed back in 3rd, glad the defense/Hellberg kept the Ducks out of the net.

Rakell looked very good, but will he ever score again?

Jake is an idiot for that offsides.

Hope Jarry is okay - does he ever NOT get injured?

Zohorna needs to stay up permanently.

Great road win.

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
On record I just don't like Zahorna as he is a big body who should be more physical. But he is what he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad