Post-Game Talk: Game XI Pens win vs Ducks: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

Sully would be which character:

• Darth Helmet

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Barf

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Lone Starr

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • President Skroob

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Colonel Sandurz

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Prince Valium

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Getting sick of these wins already =P

Sullivan would be colonel sandurz (an empty headed dip stick) but less malleable to president skroobs (dubas) orders.

I always wondered how you get (KER-NAL) out of COLON-EL... english man. Call a Colonel a colon and see how it goes, haha...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
before the last couple of seasons, this was the norm for Sid out of the gate. Constantly looked old and slow and it prompted a billion, "is Sid done?!" comments every year.

Unfortunately, as he quickly approaches 100 years old, the questions have more validity. But I wouldn't worry, I'm sure he'll be fine by July
Oh I wouldn't say I'm worried and I agree that he always starts slow.

I just feel like - to echo Danny - he doesn't visibly look at his best yet. It's not unusual. It's actually kinda heartening in a way because if Geno can play at this level all season long I feel like it's only a matter of time before Sid gets it going the way he can and then we might truly be a team to be reckoned with. By which I mean an 8th seed. Yay

Reactions: IcedCapp

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
On record I just don't like Zahorna as he is a big body who should be more physical. But he is what he is.
You mean like Petts? ;)

I was making a joke, but that's actually an apt comparison. If you can learn to use your body and stick the right way, you can overcome any lack of physicality and be very effective.

He also fit pretty well last year too, but did lack consistency, which is probably why he didn't stick. I hope Sully has more faith in him this year, and gives him a reasonable leash. I mean Rust gets an incredibly long leash to work through his issues. Sure Zahorna has proven himself like Rust, but still.

Zahorna is one of those spare parts that isn't worth much, but if it fits, it makes the entire machine run so much better.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The one "negative" or worry I'm starting to shift focus to is DOC. While I'm not unhappy with him, per say, I wouldn't say that I'm over the hill happy with him either. He's getting to the "shit or get off the pot" point. The line has looked good but I think it has much more to do with Eller and Zohorna than DOC. I'm not convinced that he's brining anything that no one else could. If I'm Sullivan, I think I swap Hinostranza and DOC next game.

While I liked a lot of what I saw, obviously but you could tell that they changed the Ozone forecheck to provide more support to the neutral zone. Clogging that up helps decelerate Anaheim's transition game game as well. I just don't get why we can't play that system for 82 games per year. We looked like a much more competent team last night rather than an old team getting outgunned by younger legs.
On record I just don't like Zahorna as he is a big body who should be more physical. But he is what he is.
I said before the season started (and when we had him previously) that he would make himself indespensible if he would develop just an ounce of mean streak in him. Take 25% of Hornqvist and put it into Zohorna and you have one of the best assets in the league. His size is there, his skill is there (for a 3rd liner), and I think the chemistry is starting to build. The only thing that will keep him from any level of greatness is his softness. He's 6'7 but he plays like he may as well be 5'7.

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Because we had the lead, our starting G was out, and we've lost more 3rd. period lead than all hockey teams in history?
Yah when they pulled the goalie and EK got stuck out there, I was not hopeful. As good as EK is, he is not the guy to have out in that situation.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It’s funny bad Sid is still on pace for 40 goals and 90 pts.
thats why I keep for years stating that we don't even understand how good Sid and Geno are. All these Huberdaus and Giroux and others come and go and have off seasons and play on lines with other all stars...our guys carry water for 15 years year in year out and still doing it at a level that we just take for granted...If this franchise was smarter with their coaching and GM decisions, this would have been something on par with Brady and Patriots...6-7 Cups easily...Eh....

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
thats why I keep for years stating that we don't even understand how good Sid and Geno are. All these Huberdaus and Giroux and others come and go and have off seasons and play on lines with other all stars...our guys carry water for 15 years year in year out and still doing it at a level that we just take for granted...If this franchise was smarter with their coaching and GM decisions, this would have been something on par with Brady and Patriots...6-7 Cups easily...Eh....
Disagree. You can’t deflate a puck.

Reactions: vodeni

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
You mean like Petts? ;)

I was making a joke, but that's actually an apt comparison. If you can learn to use your body and stick the right way, you can overcome any lack of physicality and be very effective.

He also fit pretty well last year too, but did lack consistency, which is probably why he didn't stick. I hope Sully has more faith in him this year, and gives him a reasonable leash. I mean Rust gets an incredibly long leash to work through his issues. Sure Zahorna has proven himself like Rust, but still.

Zahorna is one of those spare parts that isn't worth much, but if it fits, it makes the entire machine run so much better.

Dumo is another guy who wasn't physical at all and made a great career out of stick positioning and boxing guys out with technique over force.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
View attachment 764978

Absolutely Love It!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol, they lost their shit at the end too. They tried to hound Mackenzie Blackwood for loose change near the end, and Duclair and some Sharks rookie mugged them even after the final whistle. Laughton roided out like a dime store Tom Wilson as he was tossed.

But the near icing on the cake was that Granlund shooting at the empty net.

He missed of course, but seeing Granlund, the man who couldnt score in a brothel, get his first goal of the year against he Flyers (in the sharks first win), eight months after scoring his ONLY Pens goal against the Flyers. That would've just been too much.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
So if we play more like we did yesterday we will win more often...I think we should do it.

I think that's the concerning part

From highlights it looks like they reverted back to the structure that got them the win vs Colorado a couple weeks ago. They decided they didn't like winning that way and got away from it and rang up a few losses

Seems like they're back on track, but they had the answers to the test in their back pocket all along; they just get too cocky to use them

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think that's the concerning part

From highlights it looks like they reverted back to the structure that got them the win vs Colorado a couple weeks ago. They decided they didn't like winning that way and got away from it and rang up a few losses

Seems like they're back on track, but they had the answers to the test in their back pocket all along; they just get too cocky to use them
They either need to play like that to win or stay a lottery team forever because we aren't the team we used to be. Adapt to survive.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Missed the game last night. I'm seeing a lot of posts about selfish play from Jake. What did he do?
It was the first time we scored an empty netter. Nieto carried the puck unimpeded through the NZ against like one defender, and Jake was on the far wing, watching the whole play, but stupidly came in a mile offside, well ahead of Nieto who then fired into a wide open net.

He sort of slowed a bit, but was incredibly casual. Like it was the kind of obvious offside that anyone could see, in live time, with the naked eye. I was surprised the announcers didnt say something immediately.

It didnt cost us in the end, but the overturned goal gave ANA like 45 seconds left, and put some life into the building. If the Ducks had've scored, people would be burning Jake in effigy for his laziness on that play. It allowed Sid to score an ENG for the ages, though.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It was the first time we scored an empty netter. Nieto carried the puck unimpeded through the NZ against like one defender, and Jake was on the far wing, watching the whole play, but stupidly came in a mile offside, well ahead of Nieto who then fired into a wide open net.

He sort of slowed a bit, but was incredibly casual. Like it was the kind of obvious offside that anyone could see, in live time, with the naked eye. I was surprised the announcers didnt say something immediately.

It didnt cost us in the end, but the overturned goal gave ANA like 45 seconds left, and put some life into the building. If the Ducks had've scored, people would be burning Jake in effigy for his laziness on that play. It allowed Sid to score an ENG for the ages, though.
It was Accari. Jake entered teh zone a bit too soon but wanted to give Accari the pass option since he was about to be defended against.

It was hardly a big deal but it did get the ENG taken away and gave the Ducks "more" hope. Didn't matter since Sid scored 20sec later like you said.

This is a "people have it out for Jake" moment. The "agenda litmus test" is being mad over this.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nice win need to do something here.

Looking at the rest of the November games out there it's not easy with LAK BUF NJ TB TOR VK CAR.

That's a hell of a stretch.
Should give us a VERY good indication of the direction of the team though. You pull through that with 4-5 wins, keep at it. You lose 5-6, might have to call it.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
GA/G = 6th
GF/G = 9th
PP = 19th
PK = 12th
Shots/GP = 1st
SA/GP = 9th
Faceoffs = 1st
GFAx = 23rd
xGoals% = 2nd
High Danger Shots For = 10th
High Danger Shots Against = 10th

...Point % = 24th :(
3 shutouts on the year and a 10 spot on San Jose kinda skew the top 2 numbers.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Should give us a VERY good indication of the direction of the team though. You pull through that with 4-5 wins, keep at it. You lose 5-6, might have to call it.
11 games remaining in November. I think you have to win at least 6 with 8 of the teams coming from the East.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad