Post-Game Talk: Game # whatever | Canucks 3 - No wait! - 2 @ Leafs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
I must admit that this year I am always just a bit relieved when the team loses. I am a fan and it's hard to see them where they are at, but it's clear they are not contenders........so let us have a chance to nab another high end prospect at the draft and hope these younger players on the team continue to improve.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
quite a few teams in the nhl have 7 game roadtrips built into their schedule this season, and the canucks actually caught a bit of a break by having it in the first quarter of their season when fatigue shouldnt be an issue

in terms of opponents, it could hardly be easier...buffalo, columbus and toronto are arguably in the bottom 5 teams in the league and they lost all 3 of those games

the trouble starts when they get home because next six games are:

vs chicago
vs new jersey
@ minnesota
@ dallas
@ anaheim
@ los angelas

Embrace the Tank

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I was just talking about obstruction bleeding back into the game with friends tonight. Bar none, it's the single biggest reason offense is down. Look back at the post-2005 lockout season when it was called to see how much scoring went up. But it's been allowed to seep back in over the last few years and mo and behold, scoring is down. That's what happens when offensive players have defenders draped all over them, hooking, holding or slashing them or otherwise impeding them when they are trying to get to prime scoring areas.

Yeah, the game was much better when speed and skill were the dominant factors in the game. However, the league is worried about concussions so they slow the game down. I have mixed feelings on the subject. On one hand, player safety is obviously very important. We don't need to see players getting seriously injured out there. On the other hand, this is a game that they choose to play and make millions doing so. There are far more dangerous jobs in the world that pay less than being an NHLer.

My problem with allowing obstruction into the game is that it prevents the game from being called based on the rules, but based on referee discretion. I don't like that. A trip is a trip. Period. However when the league allows people to occasionally hold/hook/trip/whatever, it creates biases even subconsciously against players. Burrows and Toews can both trip players, but if referee discretion is not just allowed but encouraged, I guarantee that Burrows will get called more often. It also creates confusion with the players on just how much they can get away with. Edler gets suspensions for accidental hits that cause no injury while Pronger is trying to murder someone in front of his net. Yuck.

Either call all obstruction and let the skill/speed break through and define the game, or change the rules so that the calls are more consistent. What if this was game 7 of the finals and we lost by 1 goal on a ****** penalty that went uncalled numerous times throughout the game or series? Even if we won, for that matter, on one of those calls. It would still be amazing but it would cheapen it a little for sure and feel terrible for the other team.

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
So funny that people still think Hughson is biased only because he is from BC and did Canucks games for a few years. Even funnier that Toronto fans are the most ******** about it. I guess generations of being catered to really puts you in a bubble of privilege.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I must admit that this year I am always just a bit relieved when the team loses. I am a fan and it's hard to see them where they are at, but it's clear they are not contenders........so let us have a chance to nab another high end prospect at the draft and hope these younger players on the team continue to improve.

It's a weird feeling. It's like it's a relief to have a break from expectations. Still tough to watch this team - it's irreversibly ingrained in me not to be all smiles when we lose - but I don't really get too upset.

I think among all fanbases now there is a major awareness of drafting and the impact of getting top prospects into the system. People really are open to their teams losing.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
So funny that people still think Hughson is biased only because he is from BC and did Canucks games for a few years. Even funnier that Toronto fans are the most ******** about it. I guess generations of being catered to really puts you in a bubble of privilege.

Hughson has a very energetic way of calling the game, for better or for worse. The Canucks up until recently were very very dominant and exciting. So Hughson called the Canucks as if they were very dominant and exciting, which they were. Hughson may have a little bit of Canuck love in him, but he's not exactly the most biased announcer out there, either.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah, the game was much better when speed and skill were the dominant factors in the game. However, the league is worried about concussions so they slow the game down. I have mixed feelings on the subject. On one hand, player safety is obviously very important. We don't need to see players getting seriously injured out there. On the other hand, this is a game that they choose to play and make millions doing so. There are far more dangerous jobs in the world that pay less than being an NHLer.

My problem with allowing obstruction into the game is that it prevents the game from being called based on the rules, but based on referee discretion. I don't like that. A trip is a trip. Period. However when the league allows people to occasionally hold/hook/trip/whatever, it creates biases even subconsciously against players. Burrows and Toews can both trip players, but if referee discretion not just allowed but encouraged, I guarantee that Burrows will get called more often. It also creates confusion with the players on just how much they can get away with. Edler gets suspensions for accidental hits that cause no injury while Pronger is trying to murder someone in front of his net. Yuck.

Either call all obstruction and let the skill/speed break through and define the game, or change the rules so that the calls are more consistent. What if this was game 7 of the finals and we lost by 1 goal on a ****** penalty that went uncalled numerous times throughout the game or series? Even if we won, for that matter, on one of those calls. It would still be amazing but it would cheapen it a little for sure and feel terrible for the other team.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Excellent post.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
hughson has a very energetic way of calling the game, for better or for worse. The canucks up until recently were very very dominant and exciting. So hughson called the canucks as if they were very dominant and exciting, which they were. Hughson may have a little bit of canuck love in him, but he's not exactly the most biased announcer out there, either.

here comes the sedins

with mats sundin

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

CBC was biased as hell tonight towards Vancouver

They talked about Shinkaruk, Demko & Virtanen, Mccann with little video montages.

Nothing about Toronto's prospects, and they have one of the best prospect pools in the league.

I definitely felt it was biased towards Vancouver tonight.

But hey it is cool to see them get some recognition. Even thought Virtanen played Terrible tonight except for when he leveled Phaneuf.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
CBC was biased as hell tonight towards Vancouver

They talked about Shinkaruk, Demko & Virtanen, Mccann with little video montages.

Nothing about Toronto's prospects, and they have one of the best prospect pools in the league.

I definitely felt it was biased towards Vancouver tonight.

But hey it is cool to see them get some recognition. Even thought Virtanen played Terrible tonight except for when he leveled Phaneuf.

They brought up Shinkaruk who took warmup, and they brought up the kids who were actually playing tonight. They brought up Nylander who wasn't playing tonight.

???

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a weird feeling. It's like it's a relief to have a break from expectations. Still tough to watch this team - it's irreversibly ingrained in me not to be all smiles when we lose - but I don't really get too upset.

I think among all fanbases now there is a major awareness of drafting and the impact of getting top prospects into the system. People really are open to their teams losing.

Have to kind of agree with this....for better or worse over the next two seasons, Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust, Weber, and likely Miller and Higgins will all be gone...and that's just the beginning...there's a major roster turnover coming and this team isn't close to a Cup contender anyway, so let the tanking begin...it'll be up to the young guys to develop and lead the way in the future.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015

I think the last few years we had hope that there would be some miraculous improvement or run where the team would recapture 2011. It's clear now that this team is in transition........and is going to have a tough run for a few years.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Have to kind of agree with this....for better or worse over the next two seasons, Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust, Weber, and likely Miller and Higgins will all be gone...and that's just the beginning...there's a major roster turnover coming and this team isn't close to a Cup contender anyway, so let the tanking begin...it'll be up to the young guys to develop and lead the way in the future.

Agreed.

Honestly, I am just happy that we've taken the transition.

I am not upset at all about losing

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Agreed.

Honestly, I am just happy that we've taken the transition.

I am not upset at all about losing

I'm happy about the transition as well, but I feel like we're on a bumpy road that's going to trash our suspension and take hours because we fired our navigator for picking a ****** restaurant along the way.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
That's the worst team in the NHL if you can't look decent and convincing at that, it's the team that has to look themselves in the mirror not the Refs.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I swear to god if we pull a Corrado on Shinkaruk I'm going to breathe slightly harder out my nose. This guy has been on fire in the AHL, and we call him up just to sit him?

And the Comets lost 2-1 tonight while putting 48 shots on goal and had a third period 5 on 3 for 2 minutes. This was the kind of game Hunter excels in. He hits those cross crease passes, the bottom of the circle wristers, and the between the circles snappers. Can't tell you how many of those were not even put on goal tonight.

I know people are frustrated, but if Baertschi and Horvat are really that bad, Green will get them back on track. Send 'em down for a few games.

Give us Hunter back too if he's going to get the Sanguinetti, Frankie, Biega treatment from Willie. I watch other NHL teams bring a hot kid up and put him in the lineup in a top position and give him a try. They don't stick with the guy long enough to be hurt severely if he flops, but boy are they happy to see them soar.

WD is afraid for WD. He thinks losses playing anybody but Benning's veteran expensive acquisitions and the long time vets will be his end. I guess he doesn't realize if he keeps this up he's writing his own pink slip. GMs don't hesitate to can coaches when things get hot otherwise they'd have to take the heat themselves.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Willie contract is only two years IIRC

Nvm it's four years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad