Post-Game Talk: Game # whatever | Canucks 3 - No wait! - 2 @ Leafs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Go back as far as 1993, the Leafs were a pretty good team. When they had their few dips here or there, they might of gotten a 10th overall pick if that. Of course the media was pretty pro-Leafs during their glory days. In the 2003-04 playoffs, the Leafs had three HOFer's on center alone. Now, not so much. The media turned on the Leafs hard. If you're not happy with Jim Hughson... maybe take it for what it is. Because in both cases, it might be deserved. Right now, I have no clue what Vancouver's plan is. Are they going for it or are they rebuilding? Montreal had their farm club kicking butt. They developed prospects. If Subban needed four years of development, he got it. It required patience. Toronto for once in it's history is also starting to do this. They can't score, but the Marlies just netted 9 goals. But those young guys need the development and are staying in the minors. The Canucks have to figure out what direction they want to go. Last hurrah with the Sedins, play no kids... or rebuild. This in between stuff gets you no where.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
For his whopping second goal of the season. As CBC pointed out, he only had one this time last year so that must mean he's going to double his goals to 34.

Matthias had 3 empty net goals last year.

That is counted in the 5 on 5 stats

His stats from last year were inflated

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Matthias had 3 empty net goals last year.

That is counted in the 5 on 5 stats

His stats from last year were inflated

I don't like Matthias and I agree his stats were inflated.

I just thought it was hilarious listening to Simpson try to put a positive spin on something so ridiculous.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
I don't like Matthias and I agree his stats were inflated.

I just thought it was hilarious listening to Simpson try to put a positive spin on something so ridiculous.

You know it's bad when Simpson is the voice of reason and trying to move the bias away from the Canuck opposition. Healy should be banned from doing any Leaf games. Either that or just put him on the Leaf bench and give him one of those big #1 Leaf fan foam fingers and let him openly cheer. It'd be easier to stomach than the absurd fake objective commentary he offers up.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
This is the longest road trip we'll have all year. It's not even the longest road trip in the league this season (I think that goes to Montreal at eight games but I'll have to look it up).

True, it's a 7 game road trip and montreal has an 8. But we also have two additional 6 game road trips on top of this one.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

My issue with the Leafs goal is that a week ago it wasn't. Kinkaid wasn't going to make the save, the puck was in the net before he even started coming over and made contact with Burrows. I can understand the reasoning behind it not standing but this situation is no different.

It's not that hard. You can't impede the goalie from making a save because it's far too objective to say whether he was going to or not. It doesn't have to be as complicated as they make it.

Same with Miller getting tripped behind the net. It happened last year against NYR at home with Nash. Contact with the goalie is not allowed in the trapezoid, incidental or not. Hell, we saw Edler get suspended for a couple games for brushing Mike Smith behind there.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, I just think it's just serious ineptitude that just gets more and more appalling every season. I get that refs in the other major sports are just as bad or even worse, but frankly I don't really care about their standards because it doesn't apply to hockey.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
My issue with the Leafs goal is that a week ago it wasn't. Kinkaid wasn't going to make the save, the puck was in the net before he even started coming over and made contact with Burrows. I can understand the reasoning behind it not standing but this situation is no different.

It's not that hard. You can't impede the goalie from making a save because it's far too objective to say whether he was going to or not. It doesn't have to be as complicated as they make it.

Same with Miller getting tripped behind the net. It happened last year against NYR at home with Nash. Contact with the goalie is not allowed in the trapezoid, incidental or not. Hell, we saw Edler get suspended for a couple games for brushing Mike Smith behind there.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, I just think it's just serious ineptitude that just gets more and more appalling every season. I get that refs in the other major sports are just as bad or even worse, but frankly I don't really care about their standards because it doesn't apply to hockey.

Took the words - every single one of the couple hundred you wrote - straight out of my mouth. Exactly how I feel.

The Coach's Challenge has added yet another grey area for the Toronto war room to muck up in. Not what the game needs.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Took the words - every single one of the couple hundred you wrote - straight out of my mouth. Exactly how I feel.

The Coach's Challenge has added yet another grey area for the Toronto war room to muck up in. Not what the game needs.

The league's attempts to artificially inflate scoring are hilarious. Goalie pads aren't too big, goalies are just way better than they were 10 years ago. The nets aren't too small. 3 on 3 is just as much of a gimmick as the shootout and it's not like you get more than one extra goal.

The league won't admit that obstruction and interference is back and no one is calling it. The amount of picks, interference and holding the Leafs pulled tonight is a pretty damn good example of why scoring is down.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Teams should be given penalties for unsuccessful challenges in order to make it a tougher decision. Losing your timeout is not a huge deal, especially if the other team has theirs. It just creates drama and ******** where it doesn't need to exist. There's no reason not to challenge goals that are even slightly questionable anymore, on the off chance it gets reversed.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
quite a few teams in the nhl have 7 game roadtrips built into their schedule this season, and the canucks actually caught a bit of a break by having it in the first quarter of their season when fatigue shouldnt be an issue

in terms of opponents, it could hardly be easier...buffalo, columbus and toronto are arguably in the bottom 5 teams in the league and they lost all 3 of those games

the trouble starts when they get home because next six games are:

vs chicago
vs new jersey
@ minnesota
@ dallas
@ anaheim
@ los angelas

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Agreed.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Well, on the plus side Miller didn't cost us the game tonight (I would have said otherwise had Vrbata's goal counted). Still though, just hitting 900 is just not acceptable for a 6M goaltender. He's getting elite money and I expect him to win a game for us from time to time, instead of at best not losing us games on his own.

NHL on and off ice officiating is a joke. I don't care what you call. I have no problem with Hansen's goal being disallowed and the Leafs goal counting. However, the NHL has shown themselves to be completely incapable of showing any level of consistency. Not just towards the Canucks either, but I certainly feel like we come out on the losing side every time with the league. Whether it's penalties, goals allowed/disallowed, or suspensions. We constantly get precedent setting decisions against us only for that precedent to be dropped 20 games later.

Either the kicking motion like tonight's is a goal or it isn't. It's not a goal sometimes. Either they made a mistake tonight, or they made it last time they allowed that goal to count. It would be better if at least they owned up to their mistakes but they can't even do that. Shameful display by the league tonight.

That being said, we deserved to lose. I just wish we lost fair and square instead of losing to the ineptitude that make up the NHL's on and off ice officials.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The league's attempts to artificially inflate scoring are hilarious. Goalie pads aren't too big, goalies are just way better than they were 10 years ago. The nets aren't too small. 3 on 3 is just as much of a gimmick as the shootout and it's not like you get more than one extra goal.

The league won't admit that obstruction and interference is back and no one is calling it. The amount of picks, interference and holding the Leafs pulled tonight is a pretty damn good example of why scoring is down.

I was just talking about obstruction bleeding back into the game with friends tonight. Bar none, it's the single biggest reason offense is down. Look back at the post-2005 lockout season when it was called to see how much scoring went up. But it's been allowed to seep back in over the last few years and mo and behold, scoring is down. That's what happens when offensive players have defenders draped all over them, hooking, holding or slashing them or otherwise impeding them when they are trying to get to prime scoring areas.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, terrible road trip continues to be terrible.

Worst I've seen the kid line. Baertschi just isn't fast enough to get free to take advantage of his hands. Horvat is obviously hugely struggling right now. Virtanen...well, a few hits but not much else. Kids learning, we knew this would happen.

Our d continues to be a huge weakness. Edler looks like he's completely forgotten how to play hockey. Just lost. Stupid mistake after stupid mistake. Weber was never anything more than a 6/7 guy on a decent team. Hamhuis is looking small, slow and overmatched. Bartkowski can't do anything other than rush the puck up ice then struggle to get back in position as the inevitable turnover comes back the other way. Tanev's not 100%, and he's dealing with Edler being a black hole of suck. Hutton came back down to Earth, but then a rookie does make rookie mistakes sometimes.

There's just so much wrong with this team right now. Zone entries and exits are hugely problematic. Lots of dump-ins, but not much recovery. Passing is crap. Pucks bounce around like they're playing with a rubber wonderball. No intensity, no speed, nothing happening off the rush, and our special teams are absolutely putrid.

We all thought this would be a transition year or hopefully a tank for Matthews year, but man does it suck to sit through lame loss after lame loss.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Okay, you lost me here. Goalie pads (and the rest of their equipment) are way too big. Plus, they are so much lighter than before. The weight alone is enough of an advantage....and this is coming from an ex (and arguably subpar) goalie.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
quite a few teams in the nhl have 7 game roadtrips built into their schedule this season, and the canucks actually caught a bit of a break by having it in the first quarter of their season when fatigue shouldnt be an issue

in terms of opponents, it could hardly be easier...buffalo, columbus and toronto are arguably in the bottom 5 teams in the league and they lost all 3 of those games

the trouble starts when they get home because next six games are:

vs chicago
vs new jersey
@ minnesota
@ dallas
@ anaheim
@ los angelas

those matches aint gonna look pretty with the way the nucks are playing right now. maybe win 1 of those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad