Post-Game Talk: Game # whatever | Canucks 3 - No wait! - 2 @ Leafs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Well, the old leather pads were no where near as wide or tall. The stuffing also moved with your posture and the pads changed width and length as it did so over several weeks of play and always needed to be restuffed and blocked a couple a times each season. The leather got wet and you couldn't slide. The water went through the leather and your sweat went through the inside and both soaked up the hair stuffing and the pads gained pound after pound. Your legs were often bruised pretty bad when the puck found a spot where the stuffing had moved so you often layered extra material like folded towels beneath the pad to cushion the blows. The skates were heavy, but the new ones are almost weightless, like a heavy sock. The chest protector was like a baseball catcher's and the arm and shoulder pads were like like form fitting mattress pads which also got wet and heavy. The gloves were a joke in terms of size today (no cheaters either) and they got heavy with water and sweat as well. I marveled as I aged and the equipment got larger, lighter, and far more protective and made up for the changes age brought about in my game.

If these guys played in the equipment of the 60's and 70's the scoring would be way up, but I'm afraid a lot of goalies would be seriously injured or even killed because the shooter's equipment also has improved immensely. I had to put up with the first fiber glass wrapped sticks with no limits on the curves (boomerang type curves). You'd be nuts to put on my college gear and go out there on the ice today. No goalie would get through a season.

Well said and written! Not to mention I forgot how much heavier the old stuff weighed when wet. Ah, good times...

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
You have to wonder if sending them back in the right option. The ECL year is gone no matter if they stay or go, but maybe it's best for one or both to go back. Especially if Shinkaruk can impress*

I agree. Gaunce looked great up here. He's clearly ready.

*assuming Shinkaruk gets a shot which is a dangerous assumption with this coach.

Benning said ELC's don't matter to coaches as much anymore, The RFA status is important.

So we still have the 40 game mark.

Worked for Draisaitl last year.

The good news for Shinkaruk is he is actually on the first year of his ELC contract like virtanen and mccain because of his age.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The whole division has been bad, so if the canucks pick it up, we still have a chance

It's starting to pick up now though, and we are slipping. LA is back to being LA, SJ/ANA will not continue like they have (SJ 1 pt back, ANA 5 pts back), ARI is rejuvenated with their young guns. We can't live off a bad division all year.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Elc doesn't matter at all to me. 40 game mark does.

I don't think we should keep virtanen past it as of now.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
People saying and agreeing with Bo being sent down is some of the dumbest **** I've read on here in a while.

The guy is being deployed as a shutdown center as has the likes of Baertschi or Virtanen on his wing every game and is expected to carry them too.

There's a specific poster here that jumps to conclusions. Every. ****in. Game.

It's a loss. Deal with it.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
You guys ran into a hot goalie in the East, it happens.

Half rebuilding year, you have great young talent in Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton don't worry as you can't be great forever.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
People saying and agreeing with Bo being sent down is some of the dumbest **** I've read on here in a while.

The guy is being deployed as a shutdown center as has the likes of Baertschi or Virtanen on his wing every game and is expected to carry them too.

There's a specific poster here that jumps to conclusions. Every. ****in. Game.

It's a loss. Deal with it.

lol...wow....had no idea that was going on. That's a joke. :laugh::laugh:

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Willie should try splitting the Sedins on the PP, need at least one elite playmaker on each unit

Vrbata-Sedin-McCann

Burrows-Horvat-Sedin

Also, Hutton and Tanev need to be on separate units, both are afraid to shoot the puck.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I wouldn't care about losing if there were positive aspects to lean on, literally everything about this game was garbage from a Canucks stand point. Except hansen. Hands of stone was pretty damn good.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Willie should try splitting the Sedins on the PP, need at least one elite playmaker on each unit

Vrbata-Sedin-McCann

Burrows-Horvat-Sedin

Also, Hutton and Tanev need to be on separate units, both are afraid to shoot the puck.

It's been suggested before, but it's not a good idea because they wouldn't be any better without one another. The thing with the Sedins is their game is so tailor-made for one another and they have telepathy-level skill in knowing the exact spot of their linemate.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
It's been suggested before, but it's not a good idea because they wouldn't be any better without one another. The thing with the Sedins is their game is so tailor-made for one another and they have telepathy-level skill in knowing the exact spot of their linemate.

The issue is that they have no net front presence on the PP with Kesler gone and Vrbata in his place.

Vrbata is a shooter from the face-off dot, not a net front guy.

So, they've moved Daniel in there at times and I've seen him jump when a point shot is taken, which basically eliminates any rebound opportunity as he has to focus on landing, then finding the puck.

Plus the twins are not shooters. And aren't very good at shooting to generate rebounds.

Splitting makes some sense as Vrbata and McCann are shooters. Could rotate Horvat, Hansen, Burrows, Sutter into the net front guy.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Desjardins plan for next game:

Dont change power play(split sedins)
Change horvats line mates. Again.
Start miller for his 18th start in 20 games

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Understated is the missing Canucks impact on the roster. Prust, Sutter and Sbisa are important role players inadequately replaced.

Miller looks like he's tiring? Markstrom should play. It's simple. Except, apparently it isn't?

Next game should feature some new lines and pairings, as well as changes on special teams. Counter-intuitively, I expect the rookies to sit, replaced by different rookies. Desjardins will continue to overplay the older guys until he gets burnout symptoms.

Last edited:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The issue is that they have no net front presence on the PP with Kesler gone and Vrbata in his place.

Vrbata is a shooter from the face-off dot, not a net front guy.

So, they've moved Daniel in there at times and I've seen him jump when a point shot is taken, which basically eliminates any rebound opportunity as he has to focus on landing, then finding the puck.

Plus the twins are not shooters. And aren't very good at shooting to generate rebounds.

Splitting makes some sense as Vrbata and McCann are shooters. Could rotate Horvat, Hansen, Burrows, Sutter into the net front guy.

It really doesn't make sense splitting your top two players. Their play combined is 10x more effective than on a separate lines.

I've watched years of their hockey together and the plays they make for one another is not something you can duplicate with another player.

Insane tip:

Look at all the players here. No one (not even the Canucks) knew where Henrik was passing that to aside from Daniel:

What they really need together is a net presence. It would have been Sutter, but maybe try Virtanen there.

EDIT: Links not working:

https://youtu.be/jTNt6fB_XDg
https://youtu.be/xqMvGEUj54o

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
As a Bruins fan in BC, you guys aren't elite anymore, that is it plain and simple like my team.

It only comes every so often, maybe you will get lucky but odds on, probably not.

You got the pieces, but still need a couple more, no team can be great forever.

Build upon the youth Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Hutton.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Oh and sit shinkaruk in the press box so we can screw up as many prospects devlopment as possible with the least effort possible

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
As a Bruins fan in BC, you guys aren't elite anymore, that is it plain and simple like my team.

It only comes every so often, maybe you will get lucky but odds on, probably not.

Agreed, there really isn't a reason to be super upset about this loss except for some reffing issues.

We have to build for the future.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

Well its pretty clear that's what we're doing.

Still doesn't mean you can't be irate about incompetent game management.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why is everyone giving Horvat a tough time? It's not a sophomore slump, it's just the team is really bad right now. Look at who he's playing with. 2 guys that have never played a full season in the NHL. And to top it off, both guys are no known to play great D, so Horvat does all the heavy lifting in that department.

Look at guys like Vrbata, he's been a non factor. .

Why? Because Horvat has one goal in 15 games, and has been on the ice for more even-strength goals than any other forward....how's that for a start?....worse, he's losing critical faceoffs on the pk and seems to have totally lost his confidence handling the puck...so far at least, McCann has totally outplayed him....not the first time a high draft pick has faltered in his second year, but they should either park him and let him watch or get him to Utica imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad