GDT: GAME VI: Avalanche @ Rangers - Blueshirt Velvet

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Bourque, Nieto and Dries out for Dano, Andrighetto and Compher once they’re here/healthy is probably my ideal for this forward group. Kamenev is great.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
How many posts did we hit? I was listening on the radio and then saw last half of 3rd/OT. Sounded like 3 for Mikko alone.

Varly played great, need to win these ones.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Good chance that Kamanev sticks with the team if he keeps winning draws and keeps playing responsible defence.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So long as Compher is out, I'd be moving Jost to the wing and try bumping Kamenev up in the lineup. Roll out:

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Jost-Soderberg-Dano/Calvert
Kerfoot-Kamenev-Wilson
Some combination of Nieto/Dries/Bourque/Dano/Calvert

Dano gets that shot (when he gets here) because he has more pure skill than most. This team needs secondary scoring at even strength, though.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Not to be a buzzkill but Jost still has zero even strength points this year. His only two points are PP deflections.

At some point the guy has to start producing 5 on 5.

Agreed. I just don't know about him on the 2nd line still. Seems like he gets a pass and a long lease for being on the ice on a line that is snakebit, but what has he added to it that Compher or Soda can't? I'd move him down a line or have him spend a couple weeks lighting up for the Eagles to get him going.

Skill is there. But he's not just getting robbed, he's simply not effective enough for the 2nd line yet.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am trying to not make an anti-Landeskog post here because he pick up two points, but he is the definition of a play-killer. Actually you can say that he really is a top 6 version of Matt Calvert.

I am not going to really harp on them tonight because I thought they battled back, but the puck bounces were going against us. Like that beautiful inside-cut move by Rantanen, he scores on 9 out of every 10 of those plays, it just so happened to be that 10% where it was a great save by Lundqvist. MacKinnon also hit the post in overtime, those are sure goals in any other game. I know we should be breaking this type of team by a couple of goals, but it was just one of those games I suppose.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
If we are getting Ghetto back soon and Dano here soon (dont think JTC will be back for awhile) I'd roll with...

Top Line
Jost-Kerfoot-Kamenev
Calvert-Soda-Ghetto
Nieto/Bork-Dano-Wilson

Man...looking at that it just seems like we dont have the pieces to put together a great 2nd line even if we had Compher available

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Disappointing to drop two points in the last two games.

Good teams don’t drop those regularly, we need to improve.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Not to be a buzzkill but Jost still has zero even strength points this year. His only two points are PP deflections.

At some point the guy has to start producing 5 on 5.

Yep. Only 8 shots on goal total through 6 games too. Only 4 of those are at even strength. I know it's a tiny sample size but the only guys with a worse shots for / 60 minutes at ES (who've played at least 50 ES minutes) are three D - Cole, Girard, and Z. He's just not getting open, ever, and he doesn't create chances for himself. I ragged on Kerfoot for not shooting...but I think after tonight he actually has the 4th most shots on the team and the second best shots / 60. MacK of course is in his own world.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I would really love if we could drop Landy to the second line (I don’t think we can right now). If we could get a more talented Landy for the top line that would be absolutely amazing, and honestly I wouldn’t mind seeing Jost there with how well he works the boards. At the same time not sure he brings the same presence Landy does, but I think lines of:
Jost-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Kamenev-Kerfoot
Wilson-Sodaberg-Compher
Calvert-Dano-Andrighetto

Could be very, very good.

Reactions: MrPeePee

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I would really love if we could drop Landy to the second line (I don’t think we can right now). If we could get a more talented Landy for the top line that would be absolutely amazing, and honestly I wouldn’t mind seeing Jost there with how well he works the boards. At the same time not sure he brings the same presence Landy does, but I think lines of:
Jost-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Wilson-Sodaberg-Compher
Calvert-Dano-Andrighetto

I agree totaly. Super lines

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Pittsburgh's lost 3-2(OT) against Vancouver, 5-1 against Montreal and 4-3(SO) Montreal.

Good teams lay stinkers, especially in October.

Yes, that’s why I said regularly. We need to improve on this as the season progresses.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Jost-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Wilson-Sodaberg-Compher
Calvert-Dano-Andrighetto

This would be ideal to drop Landy down. Unfortunately I’m not sure we have anyone to replace Landy, but dropping him down would give us so much more depth.

Also, I liked what I saw from Kamenev, too, and agree we need to bump him up as a center if he keeps playing like this.

Agreed with what everyone else was saying on Jost. He’s like a clock that has a lot of cogs to spin a little I itty bitty clock face. He’s always running around doing something, I just can’t figure out what it really accomplishes.

It feels to me like we are still a couple of pieces away from being a really competent team. We still need to put together a full 60 minute game and really need to figure out a second line that can take away some of the heavy lifting from the first. But we knew that going into the season.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I'll never understand why Bednar didn't let Kamenev take the draw shortly before MacKinnon's penalty ended in OT. Avs have lost three of their last four games now. They could have won all of them if they didn't stop to skate and to hit all the time. Now I'm not worried, I even see this game as a positive for the long run because Kamenev finally found his game (moving him to center probably helped a lot) and I think he'll be a valuable player but I'm very disappointed with the Avs' effort especially in the 1st period. Also, MacKinnon desperately needs to learn how to take draws. Rantanen is pretty, pretty good.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
This would be ideal to drop Landy down. Unfortunately I’m not sure we have anyone to replace Landy, but dropping him down would give us so much more depth.

Also, I liked what I saw from Kamenev, too, and agree we need to bump him up as a center if he keeps playing like this.

Agreed with what everyone else was saying on Jost. He’s like a clock that has a lot of cogs to spin a little I itty bitty clock face. He’s always running around doing something, I just can’t figure out what it really accomplishes.

It feels to me like we are still a couple of pieces away from being a really competent team. We still need to put together a full 60 minute game and really need to figure out a second line that can take away some of the heavy lifting from the first. But we knew that going into the season.
Compher when he's healthy again. Kamenev can center the fourth line and Compher should be in the top 6.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mack needs to shoot the puck on the PP more. I dont think I've seen him attempt a single one-timer yet this season. And his bread and butter last year was walking in and sniping it from his corner of the ice. This year, at least so far he is looking for the pass almost always.

The kids shot is arguably even better then it was last season, and he's using it very well at even strength(If that crossbar shot went it last night it would have been filthy), but on the PP he seems trigger shy right now.

Yeah, Mikko is ridiculous. Hands are just silky smooth, and he's really starting to use his body to shield the puck well. He pulled the Foppa a few times last night with the reverse hit down low. If he starts figuring out how to do that effectively and create space for himself with the puck.... Look out.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Jost still tries to Duchene his way around the corners and boards down low but looks like a boy against men as he does it. Very disappointed with him to start the year. I’m not seeing the added strength and mobility that’s been talked about and he has also hasn’t made any adjustments to his old traits that haven’t worked.

Soderberg is our 2C but doesn’t have anybody to play with. I suggested starting the year with Jost on Soderberg’s wing and I think that’s what they should try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad