GDT: GAME VI: Avalanche @ Rangers - Blueshirt Velvet

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Mack is not good on a 3 on 3. Kind of a surprise, but he's too much of a forechecking guy rather than a stretch pass guy. My 3 on 3 OT would be Rantanen-Landeskog-Girard.

Reactions: BleedWell

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Mack is not good on a 3 on 3. Kind of a surprise, but he's too much of a forechecking guy rather than a stretch pass guy. My 3 on 3 OT would be Rantanen-Landeskog-Girard.
You still need to put Mack out there. Those guys are all LH as well.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
That game hurt. Varly is usually so solid on shootouts. Mack tried to do the WC move and hank knew it.

Two posts in OT.

Lost a point tonight.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
This team looks very bad right now almost everytime when the top line isn't out there.

And our overtime performances are weak, very weak.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Idk why people are complaining about the overtime, both Landeskog and MacKinnon hit posts, and the penalty on MacKinnon was bull****. He didn't hold Skjei. That's just a trigger happy referee. Anyways:

Positives:
- 1st line looked dangerous all night. Mikko was dominating, should have scored one outside of the shootout.
- 2nd line was also really good tonight, but Kerfoot just needs to learn how to shoot the ****ing puck.
- Kamenev was excellent in his limited time tonight. Maybe it was the shift to centre, but he was noticeable literally every shift in a positive way.
- I thought Patrik Nemeth was real good. At their best, I'd still say Barberio > Nemeth; however, Nemeth is so, so much more consistent than Barberio from game-to-game and that alone makes me value him more than Barberio.
- Varly

Negatives:
- Thought Sam Girard had another rough game
- Zadorov also had a rough game in the defensive zone
- Matt Nieto is still very bad
- Carl Soderberg didn't have a very good game and I feel like Jared Bednar could tell.

Oh well. These are games they have to win, though. On to the next one.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Playoff expectations: Check
Facing a lousy team: Check
Lose: Check
Uncle who’s an obnoxious Ranger fan rubbing all of that in: Check

giphy.gif

Onto the next one...

Reactions: tucker3434

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
This team just can’t win without Varly playing insane. It’s been like that ever since we got him which is why I’m so reluctant to let him go despite all his injury problems. Even last year he stole us a lot of games, not to mention the 13-14 season

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
This team just can’t win without Varly playing insane. It’s been like that ever since we got him which is why I’m so reluctant to let him go despite all his injury problems. Even last year he stole us a lot of games, not to mention the 13-14 season

I always thought they looked better in front of Bernier than Varlamov, like they made the effort to protect him more and it was good for their game. They really have to stop giving up so many shots. They started out the year so well in that regard but it's like once Varlamov gets hot they all collectively think "oh well he's going to stop everything anyway, might as well dog it."

All that said: they played really well from the second period on. Probably deserved a win at the end, but a point means they're keeping pace with the Central. Hopefully we see some progress from here.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Still haven’t been able to put together a full game for a while. I feel like we are going to want these last two points at the end of the year.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
We kinda suck in OT.... If you want to make the playoffs you should beat teams like the Rangers.....

I'm scared for Thursday when we face the red hot Devils....

Reactions: Avs425

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I thought Z played really well defensively. He was only on the ice for 1 high danger chance against and everything was to the outside with them on the ice.

Girard has struggled against a heavy forecheck the last few games. Lots of turnovers, which is not ideal. The staff has cut his ice time down a bit as well.

Kamenev showing some versatility like that will keep him around.

Overall, after a rough first period they played well. That's a team you have to beat, though.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The shootout was not the problem with this game. It's always a crapshoot, I don't really think it says much about individual players. I don't even think the problem was the OT, because 1) they hit two posts, bit unlucky, 2) it should never have been in OT.

The problem was the rest of the game. Can't look that terrible defensively, get pinned in and outworked like that, against a club looking like the Rangers. Also, no excuses for our offense not to be able to capitalize more on their D group. The top group of guys (top line and Barrie) still seem to have some timing issues offensively to me. They just all seem a little out of sync much of the time: their passes, where they are positioned, supporting each other along the boards. I'm guessing it'll work itself out, and frankly they're still playing really good hockey. Only line that consistently generates stuff.

Our second line is going to drive me nuts. Kerfoot looked good today, I'll admit that. But man does he ever need to figure out his shot. He gets himself in nice positions, makes some nice moves, and then always looks for a pass to someone else. Frequently forces it far too much as a result and they lose control. Jost is strong on the boards, works well defensively, but I'm just not seeing him display any real offensive creativity on his own, or a real killer instinct when he sometimes does get it in a decent spot. Hopefully that's him currently focusing on running his own line and getting his defensive game down, but he's going to have to really work on carrying the puck, getting it into the offensive zone, and then actually doing something with it. Right now he seems to defer a lot, chips it in, or slides it in. He also doesn't seem to have a killer instinct to find those open spaces on the ice. Just don't see Kerfoot and Jost clicking too well together. Kerfoot needs someone who creates space, finds ways to get open + can finish, and someone who works well on the boards (which Jost does do - but not the first two). The only time I see those two really click together is generally when they already have a bunch of space and have the other team on the backfoot, e.g. after a turnover. Jost does a lot of the meat and potatoes stuff really well, but he so far hasn't found a way to turn his excellent boardwork into offense (which IIRC was one of the best parts of his game in college when I watched him. Maybe I'm hopelessly wrong but I remember him being quite dangerous from his work down low). He doesn't have the size to push guys off him and just bowl his way into space, and he doesn't have the pure shiftiness and puck skill of even a Matt Duchene to create something out of it -- who did become fairly good at it. He's only 20 so he personally has lots of time, but the Avs badly need him to figure it out.

I am a little concerned, because while he's nearly the exact same size as Duchene, has similiar strength on the puck, and seems to be the smarter hockey player of the two in many respects (excellent defensive positioning), he doesn't have nearly the explosiveness (even Duchene now is a more explosive skater, and Duchene has slowed), or the sheer puck skill which Duchene always could fall back on. Still unsure if he has the finishing ability around the net that Duchene had.

No point in even mentioning the bottom 6. A few talented players down there surrounded by a collection of guys with nearly zero offensive talent. They all work hard, they're good honest hockey players - but Calvert, Dries, Bourque, and Nieto are all north-south, chip-and-chase forecheckers with zero creativity and limited puck skill.

The bottom nine of this team feels like a group that features some quality individual players who just don't have the right linemates to complement them.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dunno, I think the 2nd line is starting to get its shit together. Jost, Kerf, and Wilson seem to compliment each other quite well and are starting to get a good read on how the others play.

I also like Calvert a lot. Yeah he's very North-South. But the guy has one hell of a motor and just never quits on a play.

Dries, Bourque, and Nieto are a bit redundant though with Calvert. Probably fine to have, 1 or 2 of those guys in the lineup every night. But no need for all of them. It'll be nice to get Andrighetto and(Hopefully) Compher back to replace a couple of those guys. Some added finesse and skill would really help our bottom 6. Especially with Soda, the guy needs someone with more offensive flair.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Once we start getting healthy and such I'd like to see us roll with something like

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Kerfoot-Jost-Wilson
Kamenev-Soderberg-Dano
Calvert-JTC(please be okay)-Nieto

Gives the 3rd line some much needed skill, while being responsible defensively. I really liked Kamenev tonight.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad