GDT: GAME VI: Avalanche @ Rangers - Blueshirt Velvet

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I really feel like we could have had two points in this one but for the posts and a really stellar tending performance by Henrik.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
McDavid has 9 points, Oilers have scored 10 goals, Draisaitl hasn't got a single point that didn't involve McDavid in some way. He has 1 ES point, is getting shelled at ES, has a grand total of 5 shots on goal in 4 games and has looked like crap like everyone save for Connor and Hopkins on that team.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
McDavid has 9 points, Oilers have scored 10 goals, Draisaitl hasn't got a single point that didn't involve McDavid in some way. He has 1 ES point, is getting shelled at ES, has a grand total of 5 shots on goal in 4 games and has looked like crap like everyone save for Connor and Hopkins on that team.

Shh. It's true but they don't want to hear it.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
In that 5'11" group... not all are great two way players (looking at Duchene). All are very good skaters (which Jost isn't for his size). I have always said that if the player is smaller, they need to be better skaters to compensate for their size. The bigger a player is, the less that skating has to compensate. A 6'3" center doesn't have to skate like a 5'10" center to be as effective. IMO Jost's skating needs to be very good, not just for his size, but very good in general to be a two way guy at center. Moving him to wing cuts down the amount of ice to cover, so a bit more leeway in the skating department. Jost with his current skating can work at center, but you'll just be sacrificing either offense or defense. We are seeing that currently. I'd love for Jost to prove me wrong here, but if his skating doesn't improve drastically, I don't see him being able to play both ends of the ice at a high level at center. It will be one or the other. I don't have problems with smaller centers, I have problems with smaller centers that are not very good to elite skaters.

In that group (Point), the one elite defensive center is arguably a top 5 skater in the NHL.

Also within this it should be stated I believe the Avs could be a playoff team with a MacK-Jost 1-2 punch. I don't see them being legit contenders with that setup. To me, those are completely different realms of teams. I hope Jost proves me wrong.

Fair enough...I get where you're coming from.

I'm fine either way because I like what I've seen from Jost playing the wing both in the Summer Series the year he was drafted and at the World Championships last spring.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
It is almost like people don't remember that line without Landy...

Landy isn't always the most graceful or sexy (on the ice, not off since his off-ice sexiness is through the roof) player in the world, but he is very effective and incredibly important to that line. Is there a potential improvement out there? Sure, but I think you are looking at a Jamie Benn sort of player to be an upgrade.

I remember it quite well, when Rantanen was a baby who couldn't stand up. Both MacKinnon and Rantanen are very capable of getting in the dirty areas, and obviously Landeskog helps with that, but he's a play-killer when compared to those two. Fact is, we don't have anyone better to put there right now, but eventually they're have to find someone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I remember it quite well, when Rantanen was a baby who couldn't stand up. Both MacKinnon and Rantanen are very capable of getting in the dirty areas, and obviously Landeskog helps with that, but he's a play-killer when compared to those two. Fact is, we don't have anyone better to put there right now, but eventually they're have to find someone.

98% of the NHL will be compared to those two.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

He keeps the play alive a hell of a lot too with his puck protection down low and along the half wall. Eventually getting the puck back to the point or over to Nate/Mikko. Doesn't usually show up on the stat sheet either, because it's usually early in the PP setup.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
We're now almost to the Landy-is-a-talentless-grinder portion of the discussion.
His tips and redirects are as good as anyone in the league right now. I don't know who we could replace him with. Jost? He plays on PP1 and has 2 points and is usually invisible with Mack/Rants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->