Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Ah, season 1 table read
22u1gkfego031.png

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
The showrunners wrote most of the Varys and LF stuff. It’s show original

For me it's not about who wrote it, but how much I enjoy it.

Also, how could I have forgotten to mention Lady Olenna!? One of my favorite characters as well.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The finale was awful, and I liked season 8 until the last episode but the last episode made no logical sense, especially with who was named king.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I watched the "Last Watch' What I took away from it Amelia and Kit were the most liked and carried the show. Nobody else really took part in the documentary. Didn't seem as harsh as you thought or the documentary didn't do a really good job showing it. Depending on your role, 50-100k for like 10-15 grueling weeks of work and some sleepless weekends. Reminds me of deadliest catch without the risk of dying. Doing some grueling work for weeks for some peoples yearly pay. I don't think they are getting much sympathy for that. I still believe if they needed more seasons the crew would have done it. Only one person said "It had to end because the sets couldn't get any bigger" We don't care about that. We just wanted a proper ending that wasn't rushed. I still believe in came down to the actors and pay. I find it funny Sophie Turner is defending it and she was the one saying kill me off because I want to be done with it. She feels guilty for ruining the ending.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
So after which seson this show started to drop its quality? I wonder

It started in season 5, and escalated quickly in season 6.

Seasons 1-4= first 3 books. Next two books are much slower, and they ran out of material in season 6.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just stumbled upon some interesting quotes from Conleth Hill (Varys) about his disappointments with the last few seasons:
“I was very bummed to not have a final scene with [Littlefinger],” Hill said. “I was bummed not to have any reaction to him dying, if he was my nemesis. That’s been my feeling the last couple seasons, that my character became more peripheral, that they concentrated on others more. That’s fine. It’s the nature of a multi-character show. It was kind of frustrating. As a whole it’s been overwhelmingly positive and brilliant but I suppose the last couple seasons weren’t my favorite.”

When asked about his favorite scene to shoot on “Thrones,” Hill said the moments where Varys and Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) traveled together were the most memorable. The actor used these scenes to make a point about how “Thrones” changed when the writers could no longer use George R.R. Martin’s books as a guiding light. Starting with Season 6, “Thrones” began telling parts of the story Martin had not yet published.

“I think the stuff that was said in [Varys and Tyrion’s traveling scenes] understood the nature of freaks and outsiders so precisely. In a way, that was lost when we got past [the narrative in George R.R. Martin’s] books,” Hill said. “That special niche interest in weirdos wasn’t as effective as it had been.”

Hill continued, “last season and this season there were great scenes and then I’d come in and kind of give a weather report at the end of them — ‘film at 11.’ So I thought he was losing his knowledge. If he was such an intelligent man and he had such resources, how come he didn’t know about things? That added to my dismay. It’s now being rectified with getting a great and noble ending. But that was frustrating for a couple seasons.”​

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just stumbled on some interesting quotes from Conleth Hill (Varys) about his disappointments with the last few seasons:

Varys' end was probably the most disappointing to me. Like Tyrion (and really a lot of characters), he simply turned into as idiot.

I'm actually warming up to Dany's end. At least she took her shot! Lol.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I just stumbled on some interesting quotes from Conleth Hill (Varys) about his disappointments with the last few seasons:

I always felt the show short changed Varys. He was supposed to be the spy master, like a full on CIA spook illegally wiretapping everyone's conversations and communications, but at some point early on the show just said 'oh everyone has spies' completely undercutting his special niche. GRRM unveiled his grand end game conspiracy in book 5, but the show never used it. Can't really blame them here, it's part of the scope creep, but for Varys the only thing that left him with was being genuine with "serve the realm" mindset.

It's not really that big a deal, with such a big ensemble cast being adapted for TV someone characters are going to get a downgrade, but just saying.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Why wouldn’t he be bitter? His character ended up a chump!

So? Its a character. He just starts whining about not getting more screen time and not having a showdown with Littlefginer, i mean, lol, he sounds like fan fiction directors in these threads

He even calls Littlefinger his nemesis, which conflicts with the show

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So? Its a character. He just starts whining about not getting more screen time and not having a showdown with Littlefginer, i mean, lol, he sounds like fan fiction directors in these threads

He even calls Littlefinger his nemesis, which conflicts with the show

When you play a role like that for so long you get invested. I’m not surprised there is some bitterness there.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
When you play a role like that for so long you get invested. I’m not surprised there is some bitterness there.

You can be disappointed all you want your character gets down played but to trash seasons because his character was not used as much is childish

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You can be disappointed all you want your character gets down played but to trash seasons because his character was not used as much is childish

He didn't "whine" or "trash" the seasons. He indicated that he understood it ("That’s fine. It’s the nature of a multi-character show") and he actually praised the seasons ("As a whole it’s been overwhelmingly positive and brilliant" and "last season and this season there were great scenes"). You seem to be ignoring some of what he said and characterizing the rest with hyperbole to paint him in an unflattering light, all because he had some minor criticisms of a show that you love, which is what seems childish to me, to be honest. I think that he was honest and fair and you're overreacting and not being fair to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad