Status
Not open for further replies.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'm still in the 'didn't like it' camp :dunno:

But I do see how it could go either way. Some people could be satisfied with what felt like to me an obvious/conservative/meh ending.

Reactions: 23 others

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

But I do see how it could go either way. Some people could be satisfied with what felt like to me an obvious/conservative/meh ending.
I am in the same boat, but we have had two years of spoilers and leaks so the ending being conservative/predictable isn't the most surprising thing.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So the Three Eyed Raven, whether in former or current form, is a cold manipulator who influenced events in history to engineer the downfall of his two biggest threats (ice and fire) while simultaneously shattering the existing power structure in order to secure himself supreme executive authority, right? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

The thing is, at this point "obvious/conservative/meh" is still a major step up from the aggressively stupid/annoying/awkward/poorly paced/poorly written that we got from.... pretty much all of the previous episodes. I think that acknowledgement is probably what we're seeing from the overall more positive response.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I am in the same boat, but we have had two years of spoilers and leaks so the ending being conservative/predictable isn't the most surprising thing.
And I get that part of it... I guess its just I avoided about 99.9% of them so when last night left me feeling overly disappointed about it, I ended up in the meh camp, leaning towards negative side of the argument.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The thing is, at this point "obvious/conservative/meh" is still a major step up from the aggressively stupid/annoying/awkward/poorly paced/poorly written that we got from.... pretty much all of the previous episodes. I think that acknowledgement is what you're seeing from the overall more positive response.

That's where I'm at. The finale, compared to the series as a whole, wasn't good. But when viewed in the context of the last season, i view it a little more favorably.

Reactions: PK Cronin

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
They turned Dany into Hitler ...

In the end, I sure af didn't give a damn about Ghost and JS reuniting ...

Bran, being the emotionless, quasi extra-terrestrial being that he has become, has no buisness being King whatsoever.
Makes it look as if it was his plan, once he knew what to do with his powers. Sure af wasn't the TERs plan to have Bran on the throne.
Makes Bran a psyhopath.

Bran should've just warged into the NK and force JS to kill him in the NK's body and consciousness.

f*** D&D and GRRM too actually

Reactions: TD Charlie

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
When Arya was watching Jon from a distance as he was making his way to meet Dany, I't reminded me of season 1 where she did the same with her father right before his head got cut off. Had me thinking Jon was going to die.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Which show had the best series finale?

GoT, Seinfeld, The Sopranos
Sopranos ending was perfect (probably better than the stuff leading up to it actually deserved). Seinfeld ending was a wild swing and a miss and pretty lame, but at least they tried to do something. GoT ending was both bad and safe.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Which show had the best series finale?

GoT, Seinfeld, The Sopranos
The Sopranos
Game of Thrones
Seinfeld

Seinfeld finale was terrible, The Sopranos one was a good episode overall even if the fade to black was jarring.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Yep. Whatever, glad it's over now. Wondering what show will take the place of it now.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
@Shareefruck
It only "seems" that way because you disagree with them and are trying to find and latch onto any narrative that bolsters your position while dismissing others.

People do this all the time, and it's incredibly lazy.
When I see someone saying "debating not even watching the last episode," is it that much of a stretch to suggest there are people who had already made up their minds?

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
That piece of the ending seemed designed to make Sansa Stark fans happy because it doesn't make too much sense outside that context.

You're spot on there. Sansa's "redemption arc" is to me probably the second silliest bunch of nonsense in the show after the Dany/Jon love affair and cliff drop to madness.

Since they dressed her in black to look bad*** at the end of Season 5, this is what’s happened with her:

--Basically tricked by LF and sold off to Ramsey.
--Raped and abused by Ramsey in her own home. Can’t call for help, doesn’t lift a finger to try and kill him.
--Needs saving by Theon of all people, who was a tortured wreck by then in his own right but found courage, unlike her.
--Finds Jon at the Wall prior to the B of the B. Tells Jon to listen to her when planning the battle, because she “knows” Ramsey. Meaning she knows he’s cruel, devious, etc. Hardly inside information there.
--For some idiotic reason that the show never explained, she does NOT tell Jon that LF arranged for the Vale’s mounted armies…thousands of heavy cavalry, are on the way. You think if Jon knew that it would have altered his plans somewhat for the coming battle? Maybe hold off a day or so and wait for them? Or strategize differently?
--But no, she says nothing, and instead looks all smarmy and smug as the cavalry thunders in…AFTER about 90% of Jon’s forces are slaughtered.
--“Kills” Ramsey finally. After he’s beaten nearly to death by Jon and chained to a chair.
--Gets credit for outthinking LF. When they go the whole season showing her conflicted, scared of her sister and jealous about the attention Jon is getting. The light bulb finally goes on after Bran tells her everything he knows. Arya of course actually kills LF.
--This season, immediately gets snarky with Daenerys, whining about food rations when if it weren’t for Dany’s forces, Winterfell and what’s left of the north get run over by the WW in about five minutes.
--Hides in the crypt during the battle while Jon, Arya, and Daenerys who she’s been complaining about, are out fighting.
--Gets told in confidence about Jon’s lineage, waits maybe three minutes before running and telling Tyrion.
--At the council in KL she demands an independent north, speaks of an army of thousands that laughably shouldn’t exist after the wars vs. the Lannisters, Boltons, WW and with most major houses in the north completely wiped out.
--Is crowned queen of the north, is cheered by a room full of old men apparently.

This is earning redemption?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I wish they had taken more time to develop it but I was fine with most of the happy endings. I didn't much love the Bran pick. Nor did I think it was a terrific idea to have the great houses decide new kings (would just lead to more duplicity and power struggles)

But other than that I was fine with everyone's ending. Even with Dany I liked that she didn't necessarily get some huge villain's cruel murder. I liked that it was terribly hard for Jon.

Also on that note I know a lot of people gave Emilia Clarke grief for her acting but I think she's been as good as she good be as Dany the last two seasons.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The Sopranos
Game of Thrones
Seinfeld

Seinfeld finale was terrible, The Sopranos one was a good episode overall even if the fade to black was jarring.

Seinfield was good because they figured a way to include all these great secondary characters into the finale. How do you end a show about nothing and have any meaning? lol

I don't really think sitcoms should be compared to these dramatic shows, a different category IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad