Did you like the finale?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
He didn't "whine" or "trash" the seasons. He indicated that he understood it ("That’s fine. It’s the nature of a multi-character show") and he actually praised the seasons ("As a whole it’s been overwhelmingly positive and brilliant" and "last season and this season there were great scenes"). You seem to be ignoring some of what he said and characterizing the rest with hyperbole to paint him in an unflattering light, all because he had some minor criticisms of a show that you love, which is what seems childish to me, to be honest. I think that he was honest and fair and you're overreacting and not being fair to him.

I think it's less him being rude or trashing the show (he wasn't). Main problem aside (his character is off to the side and doing nothing at this stage in the books), he's not wrong on some things - I would've liked to seen his character react to hearing that LF died.
On some others, I don't agree - him not being the Master of Whispers does mean he lost a huge part of what made him powerful, and now he's "merely" and advisor trying to set up a new network.

My issue with the whole Hill/Varys thing is that people who didn't like the season are taking it out of context, making it seem like the actor absolutely hated the writing, the ending, etc... When the truth is entirely different.
And it doesn't matter that he called the whole thing brilliant, etc... Google Hill/Varys and the first 10 links will all be "Varys actor SLAMS writing", "Lord Varys disgusted with show", and rubbish like that.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
It started in season 5, and escalated quickly in season 6.

Seasons 1-4= first 3 books. Next two books are much slower, and they ran out of material in season 6.
Season 1-4 are certainly the best. Season 5 is pretty bad sans Hardhome. Season 6 is a bit better, and carried by a few book plot points directly from Martin. Season 7-8 are absolutely terrible.

Very interesting, thanks. This series is not such a fantasy that I would like to see, but I appreciate the quality work of the writers

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I think it's less him being rude or trashing the show (he wasn't). Main problem aside (his character is off to the side and doing nothing at this stage in the books), he's not wrong on some things - I would've liked to seen his character react to hearing that LF died.
On some others, I don't agree - him not being the Master of Whispers does mean he lost a huge part of what made him powerful, and now he's "merely" and advisor trying to set up a new network.

My issue with the whole Hill/Varys thing is that people who didn't like the season are taking it out of context, making it seem like the actor absolutely hated the writing, the ending, etc... When the truth is entirely different.
And it doesn't matter that he called the whole thing brilliant, etc... Google Hill/Varys and the first 10 links will all be "Varys actor SLAMS writing", "Lord Varys disgusted with show", and rubbish like that.

That’s not true at all. Varys is currently involved with a significant book character that was foolishly cut from the show. He’s 100% in the game. What books are you reading? The literal epilogue of DwD sees Varys doing something very important.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Varys' end was probably the most disappointing to me. Like Tyrion (and really a lot of characters), he simply turned into as idiot.

I'm actually warming up to Dany's end. At least she took her shot! Lol.

I think Varys' is one of the characters with least to complain. It was "faded" into the background, but seemingly remained true to values and traits from earlier episodes. Many others have been bent or broken quite a lot to suit the storyline.

Danerys: Abe Lincoln -> Adolf Hitler
Jon: Ned's idealistic integrity -> teary Ser Allister
Jaime: budding conscience -> Season 1 Jaime
Tyrion: one of top strategists -> comic relief
Hound: finding human connections -> revenge-bent lunatic

Varys got off easy, from the viewers perspective. But perhaps looking from the actor's perspective spotlight is the most important thing, and Varys definitely lost that.

Reactions: mcdraividmoto

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
He didn't "whine" or "trash" the seasons. He indicated that he understood it ("That’s fine. It’s the nature of a multi-character show") and he actually praised the seasons ("As a whole it’s been overwhelmingly positive and brilliant" and "last season and this season there were great scenes"). You seem to be ignoring some of what he said and characterizing the rest with hyperbole to paint him in an unflattering light, all because he had some minor criticisms of a show that you love, which is what seems childish to me, to be honest. I think that he was honest and fair and you're overreacting and not being fair to him.

He did whine and he did trash the seasons. He said how he felt then pack peddled, you dont even need to read between the lines as its obvious. The last two seasons werent my favorite...but they were great! lol ok. Then he goes on talking about how the writing has been crap after they got past the books, coincidentally when his character became reduced

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think Varys' is one of the characters with least to complain. It was "faded" into the background, but seemingly remained true to values and traits from earlier episodes. Many others have been bent or broken quite a lot to suit the storyline.

Varys got off easy, from the viewers perspective. But perhaps looking from the actor's perspective spotlight is the most important thing, and Varys definitely lost that.

Tyrion went down hill when he stopped with the brothels and drinking his face off. A valuable lesson for us all.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I'm not sure if you're referring to past discussions or discussions on other sites, but, since the quote was posted here yesterday (without any commentary or implication), the only person here who's done what you just described is one who seems to have liked the season.

He did whine and he did trash the seasons. He said how he felt then pack peddled, you dont even need to read between the lines as its obvious. The last two seasons werent my favorite...but they were great! lol ok. Then he goes on talking about how the writing has been crap after they got past the books, coincidentally when his character became reduced

You're not reading what he said carefully enough. His disappointments were solely over the writing of his character. The last two seasons were not his personal favorite because his character was pushed to the periphery, became less intelligent and had fewer conversations with Tyrion over their mutual freakishness (his favorite scenes). He really said nothing negative about the overall quality of the seasons.

It's like a player saying that his favorite seasons were the ones in which he was in the top 6 rather then the ones when he was in the bottom 6. It's not an indictment of the quality or success of the team, which could've been better in the seasons that he was in the bottom 6, just an indication that he enjoyed the seasons more than when he was given a greater role. That's perfectly natural, no matter the occupation, whether sports, acting or whatever any of us do.

If you still can't see it from his point of view, would you say that these last two seasons weren't your favorites out of all 8 seasons but that they were still good seasons, nonetheless? If so, then you're guilty of the same "backpedaling" that you're accusing him of. Saying that two seasons aren't your favorites (and even giving reasons for it) is not tantamount to "trashing" them. If it were, then every one of us, you included, is guilty of "trashing" most of the seasons, since it's not possible for every season to be our favorite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beau Knows

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'm not sure if you're referring to past discussions or discussions on other sites, but, since the quote was posted here yesterday (without any commentary or implication), the only person here who's done what you just described is one who seems to have liked the season.

On other sites, not here, should've been clearer.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I blame Sophie Turner more than DD. She got Phoenix and wanted to be done with the show hence the rushed ending. While the rest of them haven't got other big roles.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I blame Sophie Turner more than DD. She got Phoenix and wanted to be done with the show hence the rushed ending. While the rest of them haven't got other big roles.
A show of this magnitude shouldn't cater the to whims of its actors, especially when most of them, and this one in particular, owe their careers to the show. If they tragically wrote her out because she wanted out I think I wouldn't have cared.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Eh that's BS. Dark Phoenix must have finished filming a couple years ago(?), and along with the other X-Men movies she was filming them right alongside Game of Thrones. And a single actor who's part of like a dozen lead ensemble characters isn't going to override the freakin show creators.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
I really doubt that an actress wanting to film other stuff cut the biggest TV show in history short. Especially not on an experienced network like HBO. It was decided years ago that we would get 8 seasons.

What is disappointing is that within all these years since they had known it would be 8 seasons they were not able to write this whole story in a way so that it wouldn't feel so rushed.

Re Harington: It's very believable that you can fall into a deep whole after something as big and time consuming as being the main character on the biggest TV show in history comes to an end. Especially when it's the only real job you have had so far in your career.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Kit apparently checked himself into a wellness rehab center. The ending of the show hitting him really hard allegedly.
Sounds like he had been dealing with stuff for years, but through himself into his work on the show.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Daenerys was never Abraham Lincoln. :laugh:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Yeah, is there any proof to this ridiculous statement? Many actors had other work during the series. They typically try to work around their existing schedule. There wasn't really a problem with the number of episodes, more how the story was handled.

If Sophie really wanted out she could have just left, it's that simple. The rushed ending is not on the actors and they didn't write a shit story.

In a few years, I think we will get a really good doc on how most of them felt about the ending. Should be interesting.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Sounds like he had been dealing with stuff for years, but through himself into his work on the show.

I also imagine that he waited until after the show and his promotional duties ended out of respect for HBO. If he had done this earlier, it might've distracted from the show and generated all kinds of speculation about him being depressed over how the show ended. If so, I can't imagine that it's too serious. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this was more of his wife's idea and he promised to that he'd do it... after the finale.

Daenerys was never Abraham Lincoln. :laugh:

I'm sure that he was simply referring to their mutual freeing of slaves.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Im sure it will get spun in this thread that he was fine with the end and the he is just a confused old man

Rather at this point I'd say these types of articles are nothing more than click bait. There's been a ton of actors on the show, most of them not making it to the end, and especially for those that left like everyone else they're going to have their own opinion on the end which could be good or bad. Nothing wrong with Dance's opinion, but collecting the quotes and propping them up into an article isn't really news, it's like I said click bait.

Reactions: Jussi

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Rather at this point I'd say these types of articles are nothing more than click bait. There's been a ton of actors on the show, most of them not making it to the end, and especially for those that left like everyone else they're going to have their own opinion on the end which could be good or bad. Nothing wrong with Dance's opinion, but collecting the quotes and propping them up into an article isn't really news, it's like I said click bait.

He didnt really say anything, just he went there she went there i was confused

Sad that something like that gets published

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

You keep pushing this agenda and it's been repeatedly made clear to you that it's a load of shit. The show ended early because Benioff and Weiss wanted to get through with it. They are the ones that have multiple big projects lined up. HBO begged them to take it further.

The notion that any of the actors wanted to be done with the show is farcical. It's probably the most lucrative roles any of them will get in their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad