TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part XIII -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How would you manage that without a battle?

I would invite him to a wedding... a blue wedding. Duh.

Seriously, the way that most battles are avoided, especially on this show, is by assassination, and the good guys do happen to have the best assassin in the kingdom. If she can sneak past hundreds of wights and WWs to get close to the NK in the Godswood, it stands to reason that she could do it elsewhere.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Seriously, the way that most battles are avoided, especially on this show, is by assassination, and the good guys do happen to have the best assassin in the kingdom. If she can sneak past hundreds of wights and WWs to get close to the NK in the Godswood, it stands to reason that she could do it elsewhere.

For starters, how would she find him? With a GPS?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

There's a bit of a difference between Arya sneaking around in her own home and her somehow getting past the entire army of the dead to assassinate the NK, assuming he's even on the ground to begin with.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
With quality writing. :)

At one point they even discussed that they would not be able to beat the NK and his army in an open battle iirc. In the end the NK was not killed in battle but they fought the battle nonetheless.

It's astonishing how the perception of D&D has changed over the seasons. I remember they got a lot of praise for the earlier seasons. People either got much more critical or the the quality has really dropped a bit.

I do think though that if certain things from the earlier seasons happened now they would be seen as lazy writing as well. Tywin deciding the blackwater battle or Melisandre giving birth to a shadow that kills a well guarded king.

But I think it's also fair to say that GoT clearly has lost some of it's glamour. The universe has gotten too small which makes it difficult to give certain plots the time they would need to develop properly, and then there's some obvious flaws (forgetting about the most powerful fleet in the world?).

However, Dany turning angry and showing signs of madness is not one of them. She always had this deeply rooted hate against the iron throne. But now she has no one left that talks some sense to her. Her friends are gone and her hand has failed several times to convince her. Dany attacking King's Landing full steam is not a heelturn, it was inevitable.
Aside from episode-3's cacophony of carnage, I still think the show delivers great writing. The problem might be we expect more out of the conclusions than we do the long buildup. Up until this season, the overlapping stories had the luxury of glossing over inconsistencies because the audience could simply trust it would eventually make sense. Now that the show is forced to conclude each arc, the endings don't match our sky-high expectations and the inconsistencies are left unresolved.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lol I wouldn’t count on it

This season has been a massive failure

Not even close to a massive failure. People brigading and review bombing IMDb doesn’t make it a massive failure. It makes r/Freefolk (which certain posters just copy and paste stuff from there over here) a bunch of losers.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Aside from episode-3's cacophony of carnage, I still think the show delivers great writing. The problem might be we expect more out of the conclusions than we do the long buildup. Up until this season, the overlapping stories had the luxury of glossing over inconsistencies because the audience could simply trust it would eventually make sense. Now that the show is forced to conclude each arc, the endings don't match our sky-high expectations and the inconsistencies are left unresolved.
I agree the dialogue is still top notch, but I am pretty tired of people telling me what my expectations are and arent for the story.

The show is nothing close to the earlier seasons, it has gone from a multi-threaded political thriller in a medieval fantasy world with rich character development to an A versus B story where every scene is a battle or setting up a battle sprinkled with a few Shyamalan-ian twists or Walking Dead main character deaths. No new characters, nothing happening in the rest of the world, inconsistent pacing. I'm not gonna shit on D&D like a lot of people since GRRM can't land this plane either, but I'm also not gonna tell myself that the last very seasons have been very good, either.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'll reserve judgment on the season/series as a whole once ep. 6 fades to black but I'm pretty skeptical things are going to end satisfactorily. For the record I have read the Reddit spoilers and that is coloring my perspective.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Dragons were deemed difficult to kill based on the last time they were used in battle... Which was a generation prior to this one? Longer? Weapons and their effectiveness and lethality evolve. What was once a challenge to conquer becomes less so because of technology and engineering.

Actually not really, or at least in the context we're looking at. Rapid evolutionist and sophistication of weaponry and tactics is a relatively modern thing from the past few centuries, for most of human history while you have milestones here and there things tended to change very little - in fact you often had periods of decline. And even when things did advance it doesn't really put them in a different league, like I'm not sure what the army numbers would be but that aside Julius Caesar and his Roman legions could arguably still take King Richard the Lionheart and his Crusaders 1200 years later.

But not going any further down that topic we're talking about Westeros here, a 300 year time span that's been relatively static and again in these era's things changed very little and could even regress. More importantly, we're talking about a type of ballista here, there's only so much a ballista can do but lets not get too much into that. Now it was pretty bad ass when the Night King took down a dragon, but Euron Greyjoy getting a perfect bullseye on his first shot before they even see him, followed by two (?) more direct hits, and then they freaking machine gun fire the fleet destroying it even better renaissance era cannon fire could, it was all just completely ridiculous.

The Ironborn writing and usage since season 5/6/7 is just as bad as the Dorne plotline was, except they've continued to be a factor and will be in use right down to the very end.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Actually not really, or at least in the context we're looking at. Rapid evolutionist and sophistication of weaponry and tactics is a relatively modern thing from the past few centuries, for most of human history while you have milestones here and there things tended to change very little - in fact you often had periods of decline. And even when things did advance it doesn't really put them in a different league, like I'm not sure what the army numbers would be but that aside Julius Caesar and his Roman legions could arguably still take King Richard the Lionheart and his Crusaders 1200 years later.

But not going any further down that topic we're talking about Westeros here, a 300 year time span that's been relatively static and again in these era's things changed very little and could even regress. More importantly, we're talking about a type of ballista here, there's only so much a ballista can do but lets not get too much into that. Now it was pretty bad ass when the Night King took down a dragon, but Euron Greyjoy getting a perfect bullseye on his first shot before they even see him, followed by two (?) more direct hits, and then they freaking machine gun fire the fleet destroying it even better renaissance era cannon fire could, it was all just completely ridiculous.

The Ironborn writing and usage since season 5/6/7 is just as bad as the Dorne plotline was, except they've continued to be a factor and will be in use right down to the very end.

Qyburn must be Biff from Back to the Future 2...lol.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yet in books a magic horn brings down Dragons? LOL , And book readers ***** about how Dragons have died on show

Also if you had Dragons as so powerful and invulnerable it would be hard to accept that they dwindled to point of extinction level thru reign of Targs

By logic put forth the idea of Targ family ever losing power should have been absurd because they should have had numerous full grown Dragons

I'm not sure to what extent it was established in the show but the decline was laid out clear enough if you dig into the details. You have to not be able to only raise dragons, but also bond/tame them. It's also established that raising a dragon in captivity stunts there growth. The Targaryan's lost the ability to control dragons, forcing them to raise them more in captivity, where it was established they kept getting smaller and more stunted until they eventually they just died out. There's also a possibility that there was a Maester conspiracy to wipe the dragons out.

If you want to talk about how the Targaryan's could lose this ability/knowledge, remember they were just the last inbred family from what was basically Atlantis, which was destroyed 500 years prior to the show and 300 years prior to Aegon conquering and uniting Westeros.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Not even close to a massive failure. People brigading and review bombing IMDb doesn’t make it a massive failure. It makes r/Freefolk (which certain posters just copy and paste stuff from there over here) a bunch of losers.

Yes and the blind fanboy that praises the ground D&D walk on and stoops to level of calling anyone who is critical of the show "a bunch of losers" is any better.

Honestly this season is the first time where even people I know who are super casuals and never read the books are questioning the quality of the show, the fact that you continue to completely forgive the incompetence of D&D is actually impressive in a weird way

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yes and the blind fanboy that praises the ground D&D walk on and stoops to level of calling anyone who is critical of the show "a bunch of losers" is any better.

Honestly this season is the first time where even people I know who are super casuals and never read the books are questioning the quality of the show, the fact that you continue to completely forgive the incompetence of D&D is actually impressive in a weird way

This is a weird strawman as theres like literally no one here praising the ground they walk on, or much praise at.

I've actually seen that too with the "casuals", but almost always it's really more of the same with many book readers in that the main criticisms are for what the show isn't than actually what it is. It makes sense, those people have made their own theories about what will happen and are similarly mad when they don't pan out.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
This is a weird strawman as theres like literally no one here praising the ground they walk on, or much praise at.

I've actually seen that too with the "casuals", but almost always it's really more of the same with many book readers in that the main criticisms are for what the show isn't than actually what it is. It makes sense, those people have made their own theories about what will happen and are similarly mad when they don't pan out.
I was going to say the same thing about the strawman.

I have to say, the interview with D&D where they say Dany forgot about the Iron Fleet was quite embarrassing, they literally talked about them in the scenes prior while strategizing.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I was going to say the same thing about the strawman.

I have to say, the interview with D&D where they say Dany forgot about the Iron Fleet was quite embarrassing, they literally talked about them in the scenes prior while strategizing.

They do seem to make things worse with their explanations, especially the one guy who explained why Jon didn't pet Ghost(something I could not have cared less about but that was just bad). I think they're trying way too hard to shock people at times, which we really don't need at all, Rhaegal going down would've been plenty shocking enough.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
If you don't think there are people mad because their own fan fiction is turning out to be false, I dont know what to tell you. This isnt even a new development, it's been going on since season 5.
If you don't think there are people bending over backwards to defend this weak ass storytelling, then I don't know what to tell you.This isnt even a new development, it's been going on since season 5.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
If you don't think there are people bending over backwards to defend this weak ass storytelling, then I don't know what to tell you.

Lol anyone who defends the show at all probably fits that description for you, no matter how correct they are. Its also very irrelevant when that is not at all what I said. The fact that you guys conflate defense of the show to praising the ground D and D walk on is telling on yourself in a big way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad