TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part XIII -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yet he failed to send a scout ship ahead of Stannis to see they were sailing into a trap.

The memes started strong this year, but once they become a tool to ***** they weakened. The Starbucks ones were very good though
Dany's face is going to go on forever (largely because it mirrors perfectly with Thor's).

Reactions: Emperoreddy

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You absolutely would send smaller frigates/brigs ahead to scout positions of enemy fleets.
Fair enough, but if the Lannisters expect a scouting party they aren't just going to throw their surprise ship out there, and I doubt that Stannis was going to turn back at that point just because the enemy had no ships at sea.

How close is a scouting ship going to get before turning back? Will they get close enough to spot the impending trap and have enough time to relay it back to the other ships? As we saw the kill radius of that ship was incredibly large, and only Davos was able to see it because he was one of very few physically looking at the stern of the ship to see what was happening.

I don't see it as a great example of "bad tactics" and that sequence does a great job of demonstrating the situation and in a realistic way, which is a major positive for D&D considering they had to switch from a gigantic chain in the books.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Fair enough, but if the Lannisters expect a scouting party they aren't just going to throw their surprise ship out there, and I doubt that Stannis was going to turn back at that point just because the enemy had no ships at sea.

How close is a scouting ship going to get before turning back? Will they get close enough to spot the impending trap and have enough time to relay it back to the other ships? As we saw the kill radius of that ship was incredibly large, and only Davos was able to see it because he was one of very few physically looking at the stern of the ship to see what was happening.

I don't see it as a great example of "bad tactics" and that sequence does a great job of demonstrating the situation and in a realistic way, which is a major positive for D&D considering they had to switch from a gigantic chain in the books.
I mean, they're not using three-masted square rigged vessels here, so they can move as fast as people can pull an oar.

I wasn't commenting specifically, but just that generally yes you scout a lot on the sea (and as a general practice you either scout coasts heavily *from* the coast or stay so clear of the coast that they can't intercept you).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Queen of Ashes foreshadowing

Was digging around for old Dany quotes about burning cities to the ground (something she said a lot) and found this theory from a year ago.

It’s not perfect, but this guy was close to spot on with the dead being the red herring.

Obviously we still don’t know if Dany will go through with her violent sack of KL, but as far as telegraphing her potential heel turn. It’s all there.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Was digging around for old Dany quotes about burning cities to the ground (something she said a lot) and found this theory from a year ago.

It’s not perfect, but this guy was close to spot on with the dead being the red herring.

Obviously we still don’t know if Dany will go through with her violent sack of KL, but as far as telegraphing her potential heel turn. It’s all there.
Yeah - I thought this was obvious? Dany has always been talked out of doing the horrible thing, but the horrible thing has always been her instinct. And now she's lost everyone she trusts who do the talking out of. Sooooo... yeah she's going to do the horrible thing.

Reactions: bdub24 and Blender

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Good grief. If the show did what you wanted it would be four or five seasons longer with vast stretches of literally nothing happening.

George himself admited he hasn’t finished the next book because the story is too big, with too many plot threads, and too many characters and it’s become too difficult to tie it back together.

Go theorize about how Euron is going to become a god in the book thread.

Does HBO pay you to act this way?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah - I thought this was obvious? Dany has always been talked out of doing the horrible thing, but the horrible thing has always been her instinct. And now she's lost everyone she trusts who do the talking out of. Sooooo... yeah she's going to do the horrible thing.

I have found more people in denial of it around the Internet. Both by folks or are just angry st the show and the types that decided to name their baby khaleesi.

I was just surprised the guy guessed correctly the dead were not the final threat.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Fair enough. Just most people seemed on board with the boatsex baby and Jon/Dany besting the dead and ruling together in the end from what I gathered.

I'm less concerned with who wins and more about how whoever wins gets there.

They built up the Night King to be near invincible and it didn't feel that way when Arya stabs him. I'm not sure how they could have resolved it better without making people say "oh that's it". Kind of reminds me of that Red John bad guy in The Mentalist. I guess I should have seen it coming but I was hoping for more.

Then we are down to 1 dragon after they were built up as hard to kill. Euron the Emo took one out no problem. I would have preferred to see him lose ships, miss shots before finally taking one out. He could still win the sea battle during or after but make him break a sweat.

The mythical creatures were shown to be incredibly powerful and now they're nearly powerless and almost all dead.

It's not a bad show but the storylines have been weakening.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Old now, but still:

After watching the alliance defeat the white walkers and protect humanity from ceasing to exist..., it’s kind of hard to care which of these characters gets to sit on the throne for the next decade or two.

I’m one of those who hasn’t liked the past few seasons... but loved episodes 1-3 this season. Episode 4 immediately reminded me of my problems with seasons 6 and 7.

For whatever reason, I could suspend disbelief easier when they were fighting armies of undead. But when it turns back into political scheming, the poor writing just seems more glaring.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

It's not bad tactics, it's bad strategy. Tactics is what you do on the battlefield.

Stannis assaulted King's Landing without an understanding of the defenses or of their reinforcement possibilities. His reputation as a military commander is grossly exaggerated.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

Her strongest weapon has always been her fire breathing dragons, of course she is gonna threaten to burn cities to the ground.

She is the daughter of the Mad King and (was) invading with a Dothraki hoarde, it's not like she was ever gonna be treated as a liberator, people were gonna die. But all of a sudden she is losing it because she was eating by herself at dinner and then her two BFFs die? Pretty effing weak.

And once again, Cersei already blew up parts of KL, but Dany is the queen of ashes? I guess everyone in KL just forgot about that.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's not bad tactics, it's bad strategy. Tactics is what you do on the battlefield.

Stannis assaulted King's Landing without an understanding of the defenses or of their reinforcement possibilities. His reputation as a military commander is grossly exaggerated.
Stannis knew their defenses except for the wild-card which there was no way he was going to know, so I don't understand how you can put that on him.

Nobody is knocking Daenerys and company in S8 for not knowing the Greyjoys affixed ballistas to every one of their ships.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Her strongest weapon has always been her fire breathing dragons, of course she is gonna threaten to burn cities to the ground.

She is the daughter of the Mad King and (was) invading with a Dothraki hoarde, it's not like she was ever gonna be treated as a liberator, people were gonna die. But all of a sudden she is losing it because she was eating by herself at dinner and then her two BFFs die? Pretty effing weak.

And once again, Cersei already blew up parts of KL, but Dany is the queen of ashes? I guess everyone in KL just forgot about that.
That's not at all what happened. This has been foreshadowed for a long time as shown in that article.

She also just essentially lost her lover (Jon's claim to her throne will ruin the relationship), her best friend, 2 of her dragons, her number 1 advisor/most loyal servant who were there to check her impulsive response for violence. It's not like this came out of nowhere, Dany has always had an instinctual response for violence when she is wronged, that has to be checked by someone. See her burning the Tarly's for refusing to bend the knee despite Tyrion telling her not to.

I don't think she is losing it or necessarily becoming the Mad Queen, she's just losing control of her impulses which will lead to her destroying KL and losing the faith of the people who follow her and her advisors.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
That's not at all what happened. This has been foreshadowed for a long time as shown in that article.

She also just essentially lost her lover (Jon's claim to her throne will ruin the relationship), her best friend, 2 of her dragons, her number 1 advisor/most loyal servant who were there to check her impulsive response for violence. It's not like this came out of nowhere, Dany has always had an instinctual response for violence when she is wronged, that has to be checked by someone. See her burning the Tarly's for refusing to bend the knee despite Tyrion telling her not to.

I don't think she is losing it or necessarily becoming the Mad Queen, she's just losing control of her impulses which will lead to her destroying KL and losing the faith of the people who follow her and her advisors.
I would add, other advisors (Varys/Tyrion) are likely going to be conspiring against her, which probably sets her off a tad.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
upload_2019-5-9_11-25-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-9_11-25-50.jpeg
    upload_2019-5-9_11-25-50.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 3

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I think this is spot on. In the end Dany will likely be no better than her father. Another tragedy.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Stannis knew their defenses except for the wild-card which there was no way he was going to know, so I don't understand how you can put that on him.

Nobody is knocking Daenerys and company in S8 for not knowing the Greyjoys affixed ballistas to every one of their ships.
Daenerys has been criticized plenty for not scouting ahead, but Stannis gets a free pass for his blunders on a regular occasion from Mannis fans especially. Stannis' plan was to fight a naval battle then land close to the walls to provide cover for his men. If he had scouted ahead it would have been obvious that Tyrion had no intention of fighting a naval battle, he was baiting him into a trap. Davos figured that out when they sailed in there, but it was too late.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

Literally all of this has happened in the last, what, 6 or 7 episodes?

That article was pulling obscure references from Essos about burning shit. Her plan was always to spill the blood of those in power, I agree she has always had an instinct for violence, but it isn't out of the blue. Why is it an issue all of a sudden for Varys? To the common folk, she has always been fair and just.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

It wasn't just wildfire that was issue

Stannis had no clue that Tywin and his forces were coming which would show he further made no efforts towards recon/scouting both on land and on sea

Also it would have made more sense for Stannis to land his troops away from city defenses and prepare a siege. Could have surrounded KL with ground troops while using his Navy to blockade the city from sea

Reactions: Blender

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
"The scales of a full grown dragon were harder than steel, and even those arrows that struck home seldom penetrated enough to do more than enrage the great beasts. But as Meraxes banked above the Hellholt a defender atop the castle's highest tower triggered a scorpion and a yard long iron bolt caught the Queen's dragon in the right eye. Meraxes did not die at once but came crashing to earth in mortal agony..."
Fire and Blood

"One dragon in recorded history has been brought down from the air by a projectile, and it was a one in a million shot. A mature dragon in the air is virtually invulnerable" -George R.R. Martin

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I'm less concerned with who wins and more about how whoever wins gets there.

They built up the Night King to be near invincible and it didn't feel that way when Arya stabs him. I'm not sure how they could have resolved it better without making people say "oh that's it". Kind of reminds me of that Red John bad guy in The Mentalist. I guess I should have seen it coming but I was hoping for more.

Then we are down to 1 dragon after they were built up as hard to kill. Euron the Emo took one out no problem. I would have preferred to see him lose ships, miss shots before finally taking one out. He could still win the sea battle during or after but make him break a sweat.

The mythical creatures were shown to be incredibly powerful and now they're nearly powerless and almost all dead.

It's not a bad show but the storylines have been weakening.
Dragons were deemed difficult to kill based on the last time they were used in battle... Which was a generation prior to this one? Longer? Weapons and their effectiveness and lethality evolve. What was once a challenge to conquer becomes less so because of technology and engineering.

Reactions: JetsFan815
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad