TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part XIII -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
1.) why did the dragon live through the battle after being injured. To die by a random spear

2.) Cersei going out like that.

1: Because Dany didn't want to wait and rest.
2: Cersei literally died with everything she wanted crashing and burning around her. best death for her character.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I still don't really understand the hate for this season.

The show long ago jumped the shark into being a more Hollywood popcorn type flick. Why are people surprised any longer?

I was angry and in denial for season 5-7. Season 8? I'm in the acceptance phase. I literally make popcorn before it starts and I no longer worry about the nitpicks.

I'm having a blast.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

The show long ago jumped the shark into being a more Hollywood popcorn type flick. Why are people surprised any longer?

I was angry and in denial for season 5-7. Season 8? I'm in the acceptance phase. I literally make popcorn before it starts and I no longer worry about the nitpicks.

I'm having a blast.

Yup, I've accepted the show for what it is. I just sit back and enjoy.

I liked all the death, destruction and bloodshed last night :laugh:

Reactions: No More Subban

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY

I'm having a blast.

I probably wouldn't care too much if the writing was run of the mill or not too great, but unfortunately, none of the conclusions of any of the characters' story arcs are all that satisfying. At least Cleganebowl was kind of fun. I mean I did enjoy episode 5, but it's hard not to note how poorly written/rushed it is. It's even worse when critics are panning it, which takes a lot.

Reactions: goflyakite

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
BTW, I was just reading an article about the whole beginning with Varys and that girl was an attempt for Varys to poison Dany. He couldn't execute his plan because she wasn't eating.

It would have been so easy for there to be a scene where the girl gets caught and it gets linked back to Varys rather than Tyrion just randomly ratting him out like a punk.

This is a great point and I'm surprised that it got buried in the thread and not responded to. That scene puzzled me at the time, but it does seem likely now that Varys was attempting to poison Daenerys. That would've been such a better thing for him to have been caught and executed for. It would've been in keeping with his character, made him more deserving of death and excused Tyrion. Instead, the "Master of Whispers" was done in by his big mouth... and, in addition to that, he was betrayed by the friend who told him the information in the first place. The writers simply ripped up one of the best and longest relationships on the show and turned Tyrion into a massive hypocrite in order to achieve an end that could've easily been reached in a much better way (a way that they even set up in the opening scene and then never followed up on). To me, that's an example of poor writing that can't be excused because of time or budget constraints.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
O common burning a whole city to the ground along with killing thousand of civilians, women children is not crazy? She has completly lost it. Yes she was always "ruthless" but never even close to that degree. You could even see it on her face when she was hovering above kings landing on her dragon depite Clarke's limited acting skills. They are setting her up to echo the mad king storyline.
Is Khal Drogo insane? He wouldn't think twice about razing a city and enslaving/killing their population, with much more rape and looting to go along with it. For a historical example, is Genghis Khan or any of his successors insane? They are responsible for tens of millions of deaths, often mass executions in captured cities. It's an absurd trope that violent people must be mentally ill and pollutes the public discourse around it because people start assuming people with mental illnesses are violent. I think she did what she did because she thought it was the correct course of action, I'm very sure anger and paranoia helped drive that decision, but I don't think she has completely lost it like her father did.

Reactions: Make

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This article sums up everything that @Blender and I and a few others have been saying about Dany the last two weeks.

"Game of Thrones": Don't be shocked by Daenerys' King's Landing turn

If Dany's ego isn't fed, she gets mad.
Great read. I particularly liked this part:

This is the woman who thrilled to hear Drogo announce he would "take my Khalasar west to where the world ends" to "rape their women, take their children as slaves and bring their broken gods back to Vaes Dothrak."
This is the same woman who swore to the leaders of Qarth that, "when my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who have wronged me! We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground! "

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Is Khal Drogo insane? He wouldn't think twice about razing a city and enslaving/killing their population, with much more rape and looting to go along with it. For a historical example, is Genghis Khan or any of his successors insane? They are responsible for tens of millions of deaths, often mass executions in captured cities. It's an absurd trope that violent people must be mentally ill and pollutes the public discourse around it because people start assuming people with mental illnesses are violent. I think she did what she did because she thought it was the correct course of action, I'm very sure anger and paranoia helped drive that decision, but I don't think she has completely lost it like her father did.
Of course there’s still an episode to hear explanations and what not, but I almost feel it’s a bigger stretch to say Dany isn’t the Mad Queen than it is to say she’s the Mad Queen.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The thing with Jon just deciding to kill Daenerys, something he won’t really want to to and be so indecisive about it, is that won’t all these armies be like really pissed off?
If Varys got letters off, maybe he was rallying any men left out there

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
Do not read the Vanity Fair article on p.34 if you don't want to get spoiled. I repeat DO.NOT.READ. Let's just say their theory isn't really a theory.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
yeah I wonder how many youtubers are going to get some loyal fanatic following by reading the leaks and playing it off as their theories

also it's telling how much GoT videos have spiked in views the past 3 seasons. Video essays have never been so lucrative

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
yeup

everyone keeps screaming how they are destroying Dany's character and it's like nope - you just chose to ignore all the warning signs.

^ I didn't read it but it has a lot of upvotes so it must be a good argument

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
yeah I wonder how many youtubers are going to get some loyal fanatic following by reading the leaks and playing it off as their theories

also it's telling how much GoT videos have spiked in views the past 3 seasons. Video essays have never been so lucrative
As the click bait media gets worse, youtubers get more successful.

Reactions: Canada Drai
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad