TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part XI -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
You thought I was complaining?

Perhaps you should re-read my post.

Such a strange response.

My bad, I misunderstood it.

It's weird, there are episodes that have subpar writing - yes, though overall the show is still the best thing on TV since The Wire, but I was literally coming off a conversation with a mate who thought this episode was "boring". :P

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Fascinating what some people are able to combine together when watching a show. The information bits are out there, you just have to put them together and have some fantasy and you get some very plausible theories.

The NK going to King's Landing seems kind of random because why would he even know that King's Landing exists respectively why would he have profound geographical knowledge about Westeros? Then again he's an ancient being and it's safe to assume that he has an idea about the world he is living in.

After the first episode I wanted to complain about the NK and his army not arriving much sooner at Winterfell. His army might be slow and distances in the North are big but he has a super fast dragon… yet not a single sighting of him around Winterfell. It would make sense if he went to a more distant place instead.

Also: The NK wasn't shown at the end of episode 2 when the dead arrived at Winterfell. It's not typical to not show him when he's around… so he probably isn't there at all.

Another thing is Bran's visions that someone mentioned. The dragon invasion in King's Landing by Dany almost happened in S7 but in the end didn't. Maybe it really is the NK's dragon. I always wondered why the Mountain as a zombie is a thing. How has he been created and what's his actual purpose? Sure, we've gotten used to him but he hasn't really had this ONE defining moment. Protecting Cersei is a task that also the regular gold cloaks could have done. The NK going to King's Landing and controlling the Mountain because he's (un)dead and thus biting Cersei in her own ass would be an amazing twist IMO.

With Jamie gone the only Valyrian steel sword in King's Landing is gone (correct me if wrong). Another amazing twist. Wildfire could probably burn the army of the dead but Cersei used it all up to blow up her enemies. Too bad she has nothing left for her actual enemy!

Also, I expect Jamie's golden hand to come in handy in one of the upcoming scenes. With his hand he can probably keep away the White Walker's spears.

Reactions: CPTN71

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
One thing to consider about not seeing the Night King or his dragon. It is possible they didn't show him, his dragon, or the other two dragons to cut down on the budget. The next episode is going to be absolutely filled with CGI, and yes I could have done without the dragon riding in episode 1.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
One thing to consider about not seeing the Night King or his dragon. It is possible they didn't show him, his dragon, or the other two dragons to cut down on the budget. The next episode is going to be absolutely filled with CGI, and yes I could have done without the dragon riding in episode 1.
They showed Ghost though.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
They showed Ghost though.
For about a minute or so, and he hardly moved. Would take more resources to show any of the dragons. Also with Ghost all you need is to edit in a dog on a larger scale, which I think I read is what they have done in the past. Could be wrong though.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Melisandre definitely still has some part left to play. Maybe we'll see her towards the end of next episode but she'll be back.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Melisandre definitely still has some part left to play. Maybe we'll see her towards the end of next episode but she'll be back.

She’s already confirmed she’s in Season 8, and she still has to meet Arya again and die in Westeros. She’s been forgotten about, but is very powerful in summoning the Lord of the Light and I think she could help in this battle.

Reactions: Tuggy

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Where is this NK at KL talk coming from?

Did I miss something?
They didn't show him outside Winterfell. Also going back to Bran and Dany's visions of KL. Bran saw the shadow of one dragon, Dany walks through the room with snow falling and obvious fire damage to the exterior.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
They didn't show him outside Winterfell. Also going back to Bran and Dany's visions of KL. Bran saw the shadow of one dragon, Dany walks through the room with snow falling and obvious fire damage to the exterior.

Ahhh ok. So nothing new other then his abscence.

Ive always thought the Snow in the Throne Room was representing Jon Snow

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Ahhh ok. So nothing new other then his abscence.

Ive always thought the Snow in the Throne Room was representing Jon Snow
I could be certainly missing a few things but as far as I can tell that's about it. Nothing really concrete which with the 40 second trailer I'm sure is 100% intentional since I don't think you catch a glimpse of him there either.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Random thought I am having. A lot of people harp on the show for the later seasons not being as good (myself included). We blame the showrunners but the fact that GRMM has not put out a book in ages kind of makes me think he is struggling to tie all the strings together in a satisfying way.

Reactions: Make

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Would be funny to see Bronn riding up to Winterfell only for him to see the battle in the distance and says "f*** this nonsense" and goes to the nearest abandoned castle.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Fascinating what some people are able to combine together when watching a show. The information bits are out there, you just have to put them together and have some fantasy and you get some very plausible theories.

The NK going to King's Landing seems kind of random because why would he even know that King's Landing exists respectively why would he have profound geographical knowledge about Westeros? Then again he's an ancient being and it's safe to assume that he has an idea about the world he is living in.

After the first episode I wanted to complain about the NK and his army not arriving much sooner at Winterfell. His army might be slow and distances in the North are big but he has a super fast dragon… yet not a single sighting of him around Winterfell. It would make sense if he went to a more distant place instead.

Also: The NK wasn't shown at the end of episode 2 when the dead arrived at Winterfell. It's not typical to not show him when he's around… so he probably isn't there at all.

Another thing is Bran's visions that someone mentioned. The dragon invasion in King's Landing by Dany almost happened in S7 but in the end didn't. Maybe it really is the NK's dragon. I always wondered why the Mountain as a zombie is a thing. How has he been created and what's his actual purpose? Sure, we've gotten used to him but he hasn't really had this ONE defining moment. Protecting Cersei is a task that also the regular gold cloaks could have done. The NK going to King's Landing and controlling the Mountain because he's (un)dead and thus biting Cersei in her own ass would be an amazing twist IMO.

With Jamie gone the only Valyrian steel sword in King's Landing is gone (correct me if wrong). Another amazing twist. Wildfire could probably burn the army of the dead but Cersei used it all up to blow up her enemies. Too bad she has nothing left for her actual enemy!

Also, I expect Jamie's golden hand to come in handy in one of the upcoming scenes. With his hand he can probably keep away the White Walker's spears.

The one thing I hate is the NK having "the sight", so any plot hole can be easily filled with "he knows x is going to happen".

It doesn't really make sense for him to go to King's Landing, but all they have to do is make it seem like he knows there's another army there, he knows they're going to lose the battle at Winterfell, so he's going to add everyone there to his army, he knows Cersei is the key to something, etc.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Random thought I am having. A lot of people harp on the show for the later seasons not being as good (myself included). We blame the showrunners but the fact that GRMM has not put out a book in ages kind of makes me think he is struggling to tie all the strings together in a satisfying way.
I think he's said as much. Though I don't think he used the word struggling.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
The one thing I hate is the NK having "the sight", so any plot hole can be easily filled with "he knows x is going to happen".

It doesn't really make sense for him to go to King's Landing, but all they have to do is make it seem like he knows there's another army there, he knows they're going to lose the battle at Winterfell, so he's going to add everyone there to his army, he knows Cersei is the key to something, etc.

I get that, but the show makers have to deal with this now. It would be much more stupid if the Night King had "the sight" yet still made stupid mistakes that he could avoid with his sight.

To be honest, I didn't think of the Night King as an extremely intelligent and calculating individual. Adds another degree of complexity to defeating him though. He knew the Night's Watch would come to Hardhome but he seemed to not know that Jon had a sword that's able to kill the White Walkers.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
My bad, I misunderstood it.

It's weird, there are episodes that have subpar writing - yes, though overall the show is still the best thing on TV since The Wire, but I was literally coming off a conversation with a mate who thought this episode was "boring". :P

I loved the episode.

My point is that I believe she left the Dothraki in the south. We do not see them in episode 1 and when we see the map showing the armies there is no sign of the 100k Dothraki.

It would have been impossible for them to make 100 thousand dragon glass weapons in such a short time on top of the 40k they had to make for the infantry.

She may just high tail it if things get tight..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I have similar feelings although to be fair the books have so much filler. It makes for rich story-telling in some ways but at the end of the day I'm convinced 95% of it's not going to matter in the big scheme of things. On the show they have the luxury of telling a tighter story so I believe we'll see GRRM's eventual intentions but in a more straightforward way.

Reactions: Saskatoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad