TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part XI -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
It was a very important scene and may be pivotal in the events to come. I complained about the three nude sex workers in a pointless Bronn scene and got grief for it, and my complaint was primarily because it was gratuitous (receiving the crossbow didn't need a nude scene to accompany it) and every scene at this point should be important. This was important.

And it wasn't supposed to be "sexy."

But I love seeing Bronn interrupted

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It’s about a peasant girl that Duncan Targaryen (heir to the Iron Throne) loved so much, he forfeited his claim to be king.

Some could say the song is foreshadowing Jon doing the same... especially because Kit Harrington straight out said Jon doesn’t care about being king.

The song could also be interpreted as foreshadowing death, because the lyrics could possibly be referencing the Summerhall tragedy where Jenny and many others died.

Maybe it’s foreshadowing both?

Didn't know any of this and was scared to look it up because of potential spoilers. Thanks.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
She is definitely smart. Evil ***** but definitely smart.

Smarter than the average character in GOT? Sure. Smart as the big players like Tywin, Littlefinger, Varys etc. Not even close. Maybe its poor writing but it looks like she is solely reliant on Qyburn to literally do everything for her, and by some stroke of luck he survived at the hands of the Lannisters and is somehow loyal to her. Just look how she keeps treating Euron as another example of her stupidity.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I touched on this earlier in the thread

I wonder if he'll be able to control The Mountain to do that

Maybe, although I'm skeptical about the idea of him going to King's Landing while his army is at Winterfell to begin with. I think it's more likely he's in the North, but he's waiting for an opportunity to strike directly at Bran. He's not going to fly his dragon into the main battle like Dany did when she wiped out the supply train.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Me too. I read spoilers before Season 7, and a lot of people (especially on here) were predicting multiple things that were going to happen.

I don't think there's any need for concern here. It was no secret that all those big spoilers got out before season 7, but there's been nothing like that for season 8.

And the Night King swooping down on Kings Landing is unexpected but really isn't that clever. If you look at the obvious setup that's going on, Northern Alliance vs army of the dead clash followed up by the survivors trying to take Kings Landing from Cersei to finish off, if you're going to try and put a spin on it this one is plain as day.

Personally on one hand from a tactical perspective I like the idea of the White Walkers splitting up and using guerrilla tactics. If they slip past the North and all that dangerous dragon glass they can individually just keep hitting villages in the middle of the night and continue to add to their strength. On the other hand, I really don't think it's actually going to happen because the Night King should give zero shits about Cersei or the Iron Throne, and that would be way too hard for the good guys to beat the army in the North then have to march down and defeat an even greater and entrenched undead army in Kings Landing.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I don't think there's any need for concern here. It was no secret that all those big spoilers got out before season 7, but there's been nothing like that for season 8.

And the Night King swooping down on Kings Landing is unexpected but really isn't that clever. If you look at the obvious setup that's going on, Northern Alliance vs army of the dead clash followed up by the survivors trying to take Kings Landing from Cersei to finish off, if you're going to try and put a spin on it this one is plain as day.

Personally on one hand from a tactical perspective I like the idea of the White Walkers splitting up and using guerrilla tactics. If they slip past the North and all that dangerous dragon glass they can individually just keep hitting villages in the middle of the night and continue to add to their strength. On the other hand, I really don't think it's actually going to happen because the Night King should give zero ****s about Cersei or the Iron Throne, and that would be way too hard for the good guys to beat the army in the North then have to march down and defeat an even greater and entrenched undead army in Kings Landing.

I could see his army split up for sure, sending part of the army to Kings Landing, but the Night King is after Bran. Bran even brought up he wants him because he holds the all history. Cersei , on the other hand , is just another group in his way of making the world dark forever, but imagine if they do make it there and she becomes the Night Queen and the survivors now have to fight her?

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If the NK uses his dragon to blast King's Landing, is there going to be anything left to turn? It seems like he would need ground forces to kill the people first and then turn them.

He could burn [ or freeze] fleet in the harbour, then melt all the 20,000 Gold Coats that fight back. All that would be left would be the people living in there, which is in the millions. Easy pickings.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

Personally on one hand from a tactical perspective I like the idea of the White Walkers splitting up and using guerrilla tactics. If they slip past the North and all that dangerous dragon glass they can individually just keep hitting villages in the middle of the night and continue to add to their strength. On the other hand, I really don't think it's actually going to happen because the Night King should give zero ****s about Cersei or the Iron Throne, and that would be way too hard for the good guys to beat the army in the North then have to march down and defeat an even greater and entrenched undead army in Kings Landing.

I was under the impression there were some script leaks and leaks in general. Thought I read something about that.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Cersei is smart enough, but it's her ruthlessness that sets her apart from everyone else. Can't lose at 4D chess if you blind your opponent.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Good episode

The Arya nonsense is laughable

I was thinking of the Crypt not having Stark dead rise but of having dead come in thru a secret passage. Wasn't it hinted when Theon was under siege that hidden passages existed

Thought it would be cool to see the dead starks reanimated but unless some of the bodies are preserved somehow the idea of being chased by bones is terrible. I hated earlier in series when the skeleton dead attacked Bran and others (I think that was season 3/4)

It just didn't look right at time and it would be hard to pull off a quality CGI for that type of thing

Reactions: x Tame Impala

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Just watched the episode again.... That scene with Brienne getting Knighted was just so damn good. Brilliant acting.

**** me, next week is going to be absolutely devastating.
Made this exact same post in the GDT..
We will get our hearts ripped out next week.
And the brieanne too

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I was under the impression there were some script leaks and leaks in general. Thought I read something about that.
I'll be honest, I read the only credible "script leak" because I couldn't help myself. And I'll spoil the contents because it was clearly a fake.

Dany finds out from a Winterfell Maester in episode 1 that she's pregnant and tells Jon after he reveals her parentage to her.

There was also supposed to be several battles against the Night King with different armies being commanded by different major characters. Like iirc, the big first battle was at the Vale.

I could go on but the "leak" was way way way off base.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Honestly, wouldn't at all be surprised to see if the Night King skips the battle of winterfell.

But who knows.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So what if the NK just skips Winterfell and goes to King's Landing?
What if he wants Gilly's baby, not Bran?

Also, lol @ people crying because a 22 year-old actress / character had her first time on a show where children and minors have been tortured, burned alive, killed and raped before.
When Arya says a cheesy line, jumps around like a ninja and kills 50 members of House Frey she's a total badass and an instant fan favorite. When she finally gets to have some fun with the guy she's been more than friends with for several seasons everybody is in shock. Yes, she was 14 years old in season 1. That was 8 years ago. Do the math.
And all that on a show that's known for its violence, gore and excessive nudity at times.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I loved that episode to bits. Jenny of Oldstones sung by Florence was fantastic at the end.

Whole episode felt like a goodbye to some characters, especially some with completed story lines (Jorah, Brienne, etc.), and the writing was so good - Cogman does his bit perfectly, and it resonated of Battle of the Blackwater (which was written by GRRM).

I don't understand the Arya scene "shock" in a GoT universe, actress is 22, character is about 19 at least, considering everything we've seen in the show, THAT'S what shocks people?

From the stuff circulating right now, I think Night King will get his dragon and a second army to King's Landing (or maybe ride alone and then kill some dudes, rezz some dudes, do his thing).

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Such smart writers.

They've managed to have one hundred thousand Dothraki disappear and not one person notice. No one mentions it. Where are they? Where did they go? They never made it to the North. Her guard is there though.

So much more to mention. The crossbow for instance. At least one Lannister male must live.

Arya built herself a Dragon/King killer. She does always think big.

So much more. Sadly need sleep.

There will be a massive retreat. Maybe.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
How is here no discussion about Jenny's song and the meaning and implications of it? Even GoT official released a lyric video of the song; it's clearly an important piece. Most of the times when someone sang a song on this show the lyrics meant something.

The lyrics are still a bit vague and it's not clear who is meant precisely (if someone is meant at all) but with how Daenerys has been behaving recently, I have a feeling how this is all going to end.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Such smart writers.

They've managed to have one hundred thousand Dothraki disappear and not one person notice. No one mentions it. Where are they? Where did they go? They never made it to the North. Her guard is there though.

That's what your're complaining about?
I'm sure having a scene of random Dothraki horsemen chatting would be more beneficial than, say, Jaime and Brienne.

Some things happen off-screen. Or do you expect shows to go through every camp in a 100k man army.
Just weird.

Writing in episode 2 was EXCELLENT. Dialogue, atmosphere, even little things like Tyrion pouring wine for Pod so it overflowed (instead of half a cup) with a sly look. Every scene was well done, had a meaning to it, and it humanized the characters and wrapped up the story arc for some.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
That's what your're complaining about?
I'm sure having a scene of random Dothraki horsemen chatting would be more beneficial than, say, Jaime and Brienne.

Some things happen off-screen. Or do you expect shows to go through every camp in a 100k man army.
Just weird.

Writing in episode 2 was EXCELLENT. Dialogue, atmosphere, even little things like Tyrion pouring wine for Pod so it overflowed (instead of half a cup) with a sly look. Every scene was well done, had a meaning to it, and it humanized the characters and wrapped up the story arc for some.

You thought I was complaining?

Perhaps you should re-read my post.

Such a strange response.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Just a few thoughts. IMO this is the best episode of the show (that isnt about a battle ala Battle of Bastards, blackwater, hardholm). There was no wasted dialogue at all. Every interaction either started something for the future or ties up loose ends from the past. Any interaction that fans have wanted the last few seasons happened here because the next episode no one is guaranteed a next interaction.

As a non book reader the fact I knew what the song was by the first line kind of gave me chills. I loved the song TV and FATM versions. The Breanne knighting was a great scene and I dont say that because feminism or because diversisty in showing different types of leaders ornthat bull shit but because bases on the story and the actions of the characters involved that made sense and the character deserved it. Thats why Im not someone against them doing all the women in power now and sjws are like finally a show that puts women at the forefront or im not this is bullshit pushing agenda I dont think either way I just see whats happening and accept it because its great writting that makes it believable that those characters are in those spots and I hate that people try to put more meaning behind it then there should be.

Also about the Arya scene I personally liked it. She was smooth the way she went about it asking body count and being practical about it rather then girly about it while he was nervous as hell. The reason I think many were kinda off put by it isnt because age or the character but because you see her grow up and she is always kinda just this little girl in your mind. Its basically like watching your little sister lose her virginity you know? I understant narratively why it happened so I don't feel that way but I understood it.

Only thing I started to realize this episode is I dont want a queen Dani end. The way she acted when John revealed his secret the facial expression offput me because right after that she all but accused him of using his brother and best friend to concoct a lie to gain a better path to the throne and after telling sansa that john manipulated her into this war and she wasn't manipulating him its not that shes lying its that she actually believes that shit and that it worse.

Deaths next episode I predict Tyrion, Breanne, Pod, Barrick Dondarian, Young Lady Mormont that sweet badass child, Theon, missandei, varys and sir davos. Just because I dont want to see people who might know spoilers pretend they dont know and pass it off as their theory I wont check back until next week but let me know what you think about who I picked to die and why you think someone wont die I mentioned and why you think someone I didn't will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad