TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part X -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
My big guess is that when they kill the Night King they will learn it doesn’t stop the dead, just makes them a leaderless mindless horde. It needs a Night King, so Jon will take his place all Wrath of the Lich King style. Dead needing a jailer and all that.

Interesting, but that would go against what has already been established

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Interesting, but that would go against what has already been established

Well, we know what know what happens when the other WW are killed. We're assuming the same thing applies to the NK (as are probably the characters in the show), but maybe it doesn't.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I'm now kind of expecting the main battle with the Night King to be over by episode 3 or 4.

No dragons left...Dothraki pretty well wiped out...not much to go after Cersei with...around 3 short movie length episodes left.

Sparkling Golden Army to show off. Bet they have all kinds of wild goodies. Might be able to kill a dragon if one is left.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I think at this point, the only characters I'd be upset if they died are Sam/Gilly/Sam Jr. (they're a unit) and Davos. I obviously like other main characters, but I'd be OK with an interchangeable part of the rest going as long as it's not a 90% dead scenario.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think at this point, the only characters I'd be upset if they died are Sam/Gilly/Sam Jr. (they're a unit) and Davos. I obviously like other main characters, but I'd be OK with an interchangeable part of the rest going as long as it's not a 90% dead scenario.

We all love Davos, but I'm pretty sure he's the oldest character left

Kinda odd that you would prefer a character so close to dying of natural causes to out-live characters who have 50+ years ahead of them

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
This might be the best exchange in the series. The dialogue is absolutely perfect! It's honest, humorous, and quite touching considering the characters

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm now kind of expecting the main battle with the Night King to be over by episode 3 or 4.

No dragons left...Dothraki pretty well wiped out...not much to go after Cersei with...around 3 short movie length episodes left.

Sparkling Golden Army to show off. Bet they have all kinds of wild goodies. Might be able to kill a dragon if one is left.

I was kind of wondering about the Dothraki, previews seem to show Winterfell lining up for a siege but there's supposed to be the entire Dothraki horde with them which is like 100,000 horsemen or something. That's gotta be close to the size of the undead horde, and the rest of the living army can't be much more than 30,000 - I think it's just the unsullied, knights of the vale, and whatever's left of the North/Riverlands. Nevermind how you're going to feed all these people, that's just an odd collection of forces.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Man, with the Battle of the Bastards/Winds of Winterfell double header it can be so easy to forget how intense and insane Hardhome was.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I was kind of wondering about the Dothraki, previews seem to show Winterfell lining up for a siege but there's supposed to be the entire Dothraki horde with them which is like 100,000 horsemen or something. That's gotta be close to the size of the undead horde, and the rest of the living army can't be much more than 30,000 - I think it's just the unsullied, knights of the vale, and whatever's left of the North/Riverlands. Nevermind how you're going to feed all these people, that's just an odd collection of forces.
Horsemen tend to avoid static lines. I gather they will thunder down from somewhere or maybe they switch sides.

Query. Can the Night King be fooled or tricked in battle? If he can see everything does that not nullify any hiding behind a hill, etc.? Will it just be two armies having at each other? A hand to hand war of bloody attrition? The WWs' standing around raising the dead the whole battle? New fresh dead troops every few seconds? Better concentrate on the bosses.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Man, with the Battle of the Bastards/Winds of Winterfell double header it can be so easy to forget how intense and insane Hardhome was.
The best part about it is the stark contrast to everything else usually happening in GoT: The plot is mainly driven by dialogue. Sure there's the occasional action or love scene but first of all dialogue dominates the show. It's verbal confrontations and mind games. Intriguing. Challenging.

All of a sudden and almost half-way into the episode the viewers are cought completely off guard and are confronted with stuff happening left and right and (almost) no dialogue at all. Abruptly the viewer is left all alone, lost in the chaos and dread of the battlefield, with quick shots and camera angle changes, powerful music, the buildup is enormous, finally the wooden wall falls, zombies charge on, people scream and die and the WW eerily watch from above the cliff. People run for their lives, a few brave ones attempt to battle the onslaught. They hold them off. They even try to get a hold of the rescuing Dragonglass. A WW appears and almost defeats our hero. In a last desperate attempt to get out of there alive Jon swings his sword - and kills the WW. What?! But you don't have time to try and comprehend. An avalanche of the dead is let loose. Get out of there! They manage to get the last boat. As they look on the shore and the piles of dead in total silence, the NK steps on the dock. With a taunting 'come at me bro' motion. Oh shit. You think it ends there. But no. It gets even darker and more threatening: All the fallen, the ones we learned to care about, rise up and join the mindless and ruthless army of the dead. No words. No music. Total silence. Just the wind howling. The viewer is left in shock, awe and fear. Just like Jon. Cut! (cue the Lost sound at the end of mindf*** episodes)

Perfection.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The best part about it is the stark contrast to everything else usually happening in GoT: The plot is mainly driven by dialogue. Sure there's the occasional action or love scene but first of all dialogue dominates the show. It's verbal confrontations and mind games. Intriguing. Challenging.

All of a sudden and almost half-way into the episode the viewers are cought completely off guard and are confronted with stuff happening left and right and (almost) no dialogue at all. Abruptly the viewer is left all alone, lost in the chaos and dread of the battlefield, with quick shots and camera angle changes, powerful music, the buildup is enormous, finally the wooden wall falls, zombies charge on, people scream and die and the WW eerily watch from above the cliff. People run for their lives, a few brave ones attempt to battle the onslaught. They hold them off. They even try to get a hold of the rescuing Dragonglass. A WW appears and almost defeats our hero. In a last desperate attempt to get out of there alive Jon swings his sword - and kills the WW. What?! But you don't have time to try and comprehend. An avalanche of the dead is let loose. Get out of there! They manage to get the last boat. As they look on the shore and the piles of dead in total silence, the NK steps on the dock. With a taunting 'come at me bro' motion. Oh ****. You think it ends there. But no. It gets even darker and more threatening: All the fallen, the ones we learned to care about, rise up and join the mindless and ruthless army of the dead. No words. No music. Total silence. Just the wind howling. The viewer is left in shock, awe and fear. Just like Jon. Cut! (cue the Lost sound at the end of mind**** episodes)

Perfection.
Sapochnik is the MVP. Directed three of the show's best episodes.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Horsemen tend to avoid static lines. I gather they will thunder down from somewhere or maybe they switch sides.

Query. Can the Night King be fooled or tricked in battle? If he can see everything does that not nullify any hiding behind a hill, etc.? Will it just be two armies having at each other? A hand to hand war of bloody attrition? The WWs' standing around raising the dead the whole battle? New fresh dead troops every few seconds? Better concentrate on the bosses.

I just mean it's an odd mashup of pieces to have on the battleground from a narrative perspective, which I suppose is an effect of the show having to wrap things up quickly. By themselves without Dany's leadership having the entire Dothraki horde on Westeros is about as bad as having the Night King below the wall. But the Dothraki are under her control, yet are kind of useless against the undead horde so just end up being 100,000+ extra mouths plus even more horses to feed and keep warm in a Northern winter climate.

Kind of disappointed about it but I suppose this means they'll probably be kept in reserve out of Winterfell for the 'final battle' which will be against Cersei for the Iron Throne.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

All of a sudden and almost half-way into the episode the viewers are cought completely off guard and are confronted with stuff happening left and right and (almost) no dialogue at all. Abruptly the viewer is left all alone, lost in the chaos and dread of the battlefield, with quick shots and camera angle changes, powerful music, the buildup is enormous, finally the wooden wall falls, zombies charge on, people scream and die and the WW eerily watch from above the cliff. People run for their lives, a few brave ones attempt to battle the onslaught. They hold them off. They even try to get a hold of the rescuing Dragonglass. A WW appears and almost defeats our hero. In a last desperate attempt to get out of there alive Jon swings his sword - and kills the WW. What?! But you don't have time to try and comprehend. An avalanche of the dead is let loose. Get out of there! They manage to get the last boat. As they look on the shore and the piles of dead in total silence, the NK steps on the dock. With a taunting 'come at me bro' motion. Oh ****. You think it ends there. But no. It gets even darker and more threatening: All the fallen, the ones we learned to care about, rise up and join the mindless and ruthless army of the dead. No words. No music. Total silence. Just the wind howling. The viewer is left in shock, awe and fear. Just like Jon. Cut! (cue the Lost sound at the end of mind**** episodes)

Perfection.
I think you perfectly summed up why Hardhome is still to this day my favorite episode. I was caught completely off guard by shit hitting the fan like it did by the fact that up to that point the episode had been all talk and negotiations, and it seemed to have wrapped up well with Jon leaving with some percentage of the Free Folk. All of a sudden the snow storm starts rolling in with the music building up...

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Man, I've defended season 5 several times and it's still good TV with events that have reverberations into season 6 and 7 but of all the Game of Thrones seasons it really feels like the biggest "they're stalling" year. It's especially jarring when it follows such explosive highs as the end of season 4.

I think you perfectly summed up why Hardhome is still to this day my favorite episode. I was caught completely off guard by **** hitting the fan like it did by the fact that up to that point the episode had been all talk and negotiations, and it seemed to have wrapped up well with Jon leaving with some percentage of the Free Folk. All of a sudden the snow storm starts rolling in with the music building up...
Best part is it still feels that way even though on a rewatch you know it's coming. The pacing and development of it added in with a bonus of introducing and making the viewer care about wildlings they'd never seen before in, what, ten minutes of screen time? It makes for a brilliantly developed event in television. My only thing is I find it easier to go back and watch Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter randomly without rewatching what came before it but Hardhome works best when the development of the story, starting with the death of Mance is fresh in mind. Showing how Jon earned Tormund's trust really sells the attempt to earn the trust of the rest of the Wildlings.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Man, I've defended season 5 several times and it's still good TV with events that have reverberations into season 6 and 7 but of all the Game of Thrones seasons it really feels like the biggest "they're stalling" year. It's especially jarring when it follows such explosive highs as the end of season 4.

Best part is it still feels that way even though on a rewatch you know it's coming. The pacing and development of it added in with a bonus of introducing and making the viewer care about wildlings they'd never seen before in, what, ten minutes of screen time? It makes for a brilliantly developed event in television. My only thing is I find it easier to go back and watch Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter randomly without rewatching what came before it but Hardhome works best when the development of the story, starting with the death of Mance is fresh in mind. Showing how Jon earned Tormund's trust really sells the attempt to earn the trust of the rest of the Wildlings.
They did a brilliant job with Loboda and especially Karsi, two characters who had barely any screen time but I still remember their names to this day. They managed to introduce characters, build them up in a way that gave them a distinct personality and identity, and kill them off in a way that made you feel bad about their deaths, all in a few minutes of screen time. I was legitimately looking forward to Karsi being a new Wildling character on the show...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Oof I forgot how brutal Shireen's death is. Jesus...
They did a brilliant job with Loboda and especially Karsi, two characters who had barely any screen time but I still remember their names to this day. They managed to introduce characters, build them up in a way that gave them a distinct personality and identity, and kill them off in a way that made you feel bad about their deaths, all in a few minutes of screen time. I was legitimately looking forward to Karsi being a new Wildling character on the show...

Pretty incredible to have the full Oberyn effect in such little screen time. I was the same way.

Reactions: Blender

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They really milked Dany being pissed at Jorah for all it was worth. Dude kept coming back and risked his life several times and Dany was still unable to just concede that he had a change of heart after actually getting to know her.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They really milked Dany being pissed at Jorah for all it was worth. Dude kept coming back and risked his life several times and Dany was still unable to just concede that he had a change of heart after actually getting to know her.
She made a lot of terrible decisions after banishing him as well. Jorah was a really good influence on her over the years, and I don't think she even realized that until the end of season 6. Despite making some terrible decisions in his life, his intelligence and ability far outshines the status of his small house and Dany has definitely benefited from it. He's an accomplished individual fighter with plenty of battlefield experience as well, he speaks multiple languages, is one of the most pragmatic characters on the show, has pretty deep knowledge of all the major players in Westeros and Essos, etc. I have always seen Jorah as an example of a character who was stratified by the position of his house due to his birth, that if he were born a Lannister, Stark, Baratheon, or any other wealthy or powerful family, he likely would have been extremely successful.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
She made a lot of terrible decisions after banishing him as well. Jorah was a really good influence on her over the years, and I don't think she even realized that until the end of season 6. Despite making some terrible decisions in his life, his intelligence and ability far outshines the status of his small house and Dany has definitely benefited from it. He's an accomplished individual fighter with plenty of battlefield experience as well, he speaks multiple languages, is one of the most pragmatic characters on the show, has pretty deep knowledge of all the major players in Westeros and Essos, etc. I have always seen Jorah as an example of a character who was stratified by the position of his house due to his birth, that if he were born a Lannister, Stark, Baratheon, or any other wealthy or powerful family, he likely would have been extremely successful.

Well I think it's likely a big part of his experiences that Jorah became such a valuable asset. So I don't know if I agree with the last point but everything else is spot on. Jorah is an underrated character. Hell, even I forget how important he is from time to time.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well I think it's likely a big part of his experiences that Jorah became such a valuable asset. So I don't know if I agree with the last point but everything else is spot on. Jorah is an underrated character. Hell, even I forget how important he is from time to time.
Oh for sure his experience traveling Essos as a sellsword has definitely made him more worldly and wise, but before that he fought in Robert's Rebellion, was knighted for his actions during the Siege of Pyke during the Greyjoy Rebellion, had his father abdicate and join the Night's Watch, which I doubt he would have done if he didn't think his son was highly competent, won the tournament at Lannisport, etc. He's definitely one of the most complicated characters on the show, and despite all the "Ser Friendzone" jokes and the general creepiness of his love for Daenerys early on, he's one of the most interesting characters.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Alfie Allen really deserves a lot of credit for Theon. He can be a hard character to watch, but Allen really nails that character development.

Reactions: TP

member 151739

Jorah is an incel.

I'm like 75% joking here, but yeah. It's creepy. He's creepy. Stop glorifying characters that are obsessed with women who reject them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad