TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part IX -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Which rule does the faceless men changing their height/weight violate? This is just nitpicking until it's shown that they had no such ability but then it was violated.

Conservation of mass + Conservation of energy
Forcing watchers to suspend disbelief of the two most fundamental laws of nature is a no-no.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
We have gigantic flying reptiles that breath fire, various undead things, and people are complaining about a little harmless magic? Two words:

s311560487247964885_p79_i3_w806.jpeg

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Conservation of mass + Conservation of energy
Forcing watchers to suspend disbelief of the two most fundamental laws of nature is a no-no.
There are countless things in the GoT universe that violate the laws of physics. This is an odd one to suddenly be making a big deal out of.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There's also the mysterious magic lady that popped in on Dany every once in a while and now seems completely forgotten in the show - and not really to anyone's discredit as D&D aren't really writing the same thing as GRRM any more.

Point being there is a variety of magic that pops up in the show every now and then, it's all kept vague and mysterious so there really isn't anything wrong with the Faceless men here.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The bigger issue with that storyline is I have no idea what Arya's character is supposed to be about after watching the last three seasons.

She is just the "ooh I'm so badass woo" person at this point, and I find it kinda boring. It was ten times worse in S7 because of how contrived her entire situation was once she got to Winterfell.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Which rule does the faceless men changing their height/weight violate? This is just nitpicking until it's shown that they had no such ability but then it was violated.

I didnt say that it did but if you are satisfied with everyone being able to do anything at any point thats fine too

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The bigger issue with that storyline is I have no idea what Arya's character is supposed to be about after watching the last three seasons.

She is just the "ooh I'm so badass woo" person at this point, and I find it kinda boring. It was ten times worse in S7 because of how contrived her entire situation was once she got to Winterfell.
Arya as assassin has been obvious since nearly the beginning.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I didnt say that it did but if you are satisfied with everyone being able to do anything at any point thats fine too
I never said that I'd be fine with anything, I said as long as it doesn't violate the rules of the universe. GoT has in no way obeyed the laws of physics up to this point.

Reactions: glovesave_35

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I never said that I'd be fine with anything, I said as long as it doesn't violate the rules of the universe. GoT has in no way obeyed the laws of physics up to this point.

Hm, no. You said as long as someone isnt shown that they cannot do something then they can

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Hm, no. You said as long as someone isnt shown that they cannot do something then they can
I clearly asked which rule changing height/weight violated. Nowhere has it been established that this is impossible in the GoT universe, and we have seen far more outlandish things when compared with our own universe.

It's about suspension of disbelief. Like how no one has an issue with Superman having super strength, speed, vision, etc., but it's ridiculous that no one recognizes him in his "disguise" of a suit and glasses. The rules of the Superman universe clearly establish that the character has all those powers, but otherwise the world is very consistent with ours, so no one recognizing that it's Superman with glasses on is laughable. While GoT is not high fantasy like LOTR, there are still a lot of fantasy elements in the show and we have seen magic produce all sorts of things that aren't possible in a world more grounded in reality. To suddenly be upset about the physics of a character transforming is blatant nitpicking.

This isn't to say I like the Arya story line either, because I haven't since she arrived in Braavos in season 5. There is plenty of legitimate criticism in her story without trying to go after things that are plausible because of magic.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That isn't what I'm talking about.
Not sure what tou meant then. You said her Winterfell storyline felt contrived. I didn't think so because it was numerous seasons in the making.

She seems "about" what she has always talked about except when she was lying to the Faceless Men - killing the people that wronged those she loves.

Did you think she had developed a deeper ethos along the way? Legitimately curious.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Not sure what tou meant then. You said her Winterfell storyline felt contrived. I didn't think so because it was numerous seasons in the making.

She seems "about" what she has always talked about except when she was lying to the Faceless Men - killing the people that wronged those she loves.

Did you think she had developed a deeper ethos along the way? Legitimately curious.
She is basically just a tool at this point, and there really is no expanding on her character in a meaningful way. Not all characters have to be immensely deep but Arya is just a puddle.

And the whole "fake drama but not really" situation between Arya and Sansa was poorly done, and it was all just meant to serve Arya doing a badass move to kill Littlefinger with his old dagger. Without the proper buildup it fell completely flat. And in general that has been Arya's storyline since S5.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
She is basically just a tool at this point, and there really is no expanding on her character in a meaningful way. Not all characters have to be immensely deep but Arya is just a puddle.

And the whole "fake drama but not really" situation between Arya and Sansa was poorly done, and it was all just meant to serve Arya doing a badass move to kill Littlefinger with his old dagger. Without the proper buildup it fell completely flat. And in general that has been Arya's storyline since S5.
Gotcha. Hers is the worst of all the main storylines so I won't argue there. Season 7 felt rushed all around and I thought the same thing about the Arya/Sansa "rift".

They really should have just done 2 more seasons of 10 episodes and finished it off right. Instead, we get the short end of the stick.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

The vagueness of the Faceless Men actually make their whole plot line boring to me, but to have a real issue with their powers is just whiny and nitpicky IMHO.

As has been previously stated, they aren't breaking any of their own rules so while it may be poorly explained and a little confusing, it's just one of those things you've got to accept as vague and ultimately not that's crucial to the main plot.

TL:dR Who cares, get over it

Last edited:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I clearly asked which rule changing height/weight violated. Nowhere has it been established that this is impossible in the GoT universe, and we have seen far more outlandish things when compared with our own universe.

It's about suspension of disbelief. Like how no one has an issue with Superman having super strength, speed, vision, etc., but it's ridiculous that no one recognizes him in his "disguise" of a suit and glasses. The rules of the Superman universe clearly establish that the character has all those powers, but otherwise the world is very consistent with ours, so no one recognizing that it's Superman with glasses on is laughable. While GoT is not high fantasy like LOTR, there are still a lot of fantasy elements in the show and we have seen magic produce all sorts of things that aren't possible in a world more grounded in reality. To suddenly be upset about the physics of a character transforming is blatant nitpicking.

This isn't to say I like the Arya story line either, because I haven't since she arrived in Braavos in season 5. There is plenty of legitimate criticism in her story without trying to go after things that are plausible because of magic.

You even quoted yourself where you stated if they havent shown that they cant then they can.

We are never shown Littlefinger cant teleport so we can safely say that Littlefinger can in fact teleport
We are never told what armor is made of in Westeros so we can just accept that you can swim hundreds of feet under water in full armor

That point is that Arya, and the others, are normal people who after a few months of cleaning and training with a staff she can change her mass at will. I think its time for her to change in to Wun Wun and lay siege to Kings Landing. I could accept changing the face no problem, attribute it to the curing of the dead faces they collect. The fact that she can become anyone, with their exact size and voice is shit writing

Reactions: Neutrinos

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Yeah I'd agree with that. While she was always intended to be on the path of an assassin, she just kind of blew through the thing way to quick. In a relatively short time she not only learned all the Faceless Men's but also appears to have blown them off and extracted herself from the order to become a Stark again with no apparent long term consequences. The latter part seems like the biggest shortcoming, and maybe someone from Bravos will show up and confront Arya in the final season but I kind of doubt it.

Arya's story is probably the one hurt the most by GRRM constantly changing his mind and rewriting things - the original intent of the story, and the point where Arya jumps on the ship to Bravos, was to have a 5 year time gap before resuming the story. It's not easy to make Arya the faceless assassin you need her to be if she's only there for a year or two.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You even quoted yourself where you stated if they havent shown that they cant then they can.

We are never shown Littlefinger cant teleport so we can safely say that Littlefinger can in fact teleport
We are never told what armor is made of in Westeros so we can just accept that you can swim hundreds of feet under water in full armor

That point is that Arya, and the others, are normal people who after a few months of cleaning and training with a staff she can change her mass at will. I think its time for her to change in to Wun Wun and lay siege to Kings Landing. I could accept changing the face no problem, attribute it to the curing of the dead faces they collect. The fact that she can become anyone, with their exact size and voice is **** writing

So you accept there are dragons, their human mom can’t be burned by fire, women giving birth to baby shadow assassins, Giants, White Walkers, people coming back from the dead, a three eyed raven with supernatural powers... but draw the line at shape shifters?

Makes total sense.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

That point is that Arya, and the others, are normal people who after a few months of cleaning and training with a staff she can change her mass at will. I think its time for her to change in to Wun Wun and lay siege to Kings Landing. I could accept changing the face no problem, attribute it to the curing of the dead faces they collect. The fact that she can become anyone, with their exact size and voice is **** writing

If she turns into Wun Wun, I think you'd have a legitimate gripe. As is, she killed Walder, took his face and clothes, put some padding underneath the clothing and wore some lifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad